Holding A Pic, pic info
evilone63
Nov 14 2011, 01:21 AM
GMC:er
I was just wondering if anyone else here holds there pic differently.i sometimes hold mine with my thumb and middle finger with my index on top.ill also strum with my thumb and middle finger as well.is this wrong should i correct it and hold the traditional way.or just jam out with what feels comfortable to me?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Nov 14 2011, 06:36 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Had not heard of anyone holding a pic like that biggrin.gif

How you hold the pick can affect speed, but if it is comfortable I am not sure. Would have to let the instructors answer to that one!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Nov 14 2011, 07:08 AM

Around :40 he talks how he holds it and then how some other people do.

I use to hold mine so that it was kinda backwards from traditional, I some how had it facing up instead of down. I don't think how you hold it effects to much. Everyone is different I believe Marty Friedman actually holds it with thumb, pointer, and middle. The only thing I would say is do what feels comfortable, thats the most important part in playing besides the learning process.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 14 2011, 08:08 AM
Instructor
I tend to hold my pick with my thumb and index - I can angle the attack or flatten it very comfortably depending on the context. I guess that's the comfiest way for me smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 16 2011, 11:47 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (evilone63 @ Nov 14 2011, 12:21 AM) *
I was just wondering if anyone else here holds there pic differently.i sometimes hold mine with my thumb and middle finger with my index on top.ill also strum with my thumb and middle finger as well.is this wrong should i correct it and hold the traditional way.or just jam out with what feels comfortable to me?

I've held my pick similar to that for years, It feels very secure for rhythm work, but... it slows your picking down. I have started to force myself to hold it the traditional way or close to that and Alt picking is easier to get faster, it also frees up fingers for hybrid picking.

Breaking the habit however is not easy and I constantly find myself slipping up.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 16 2011, 03:56 PM
Instructor
Well two guitarists who instantly spring to mind are Eddie Van Halen & Chris Poland, they hold the pick with thumb and middle finger (at least it looks that way)

Eddie's not exactly an alternate picker (apart from one string runs like in Eruption) but Chris Poland is an insane guitarist with amazing chops, so it can be done. However it might be good to introduce the 'normal' way into your playing now before you start working hard on your technique.

+Quote Post
evilone63
Nov 18 2011, 11:09 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 16 2011, 02:56 PM) *
Well two guitarists who instantly spring to mind are Eddie Van Halen & Chris Poland, they hold the pick with thumb and middle finger (at least it looks that way)

Eddie's not exactly an alternate picker (apart from one string runs like in Eruption) but Chris Poland is an insane guitarist with amazing chops, so it can be done. However it might be good to introduce the 'normal' way into your playing now before you start working hard on your technique.

Thanks for all the input and good info!ill pactice holding it the common way,it just feels more comfortable and natural to me to hold it with my index and middle.anyway ill figure it out.
peace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 21 2011, 01:38 PM
Instructor
Like Tommy Tedesco says:

- Put out your hand like your going to shake hands
- close the palm (keep the thumb straight)
- place the pick in between the joints of thumb and (top joint of) index finger
- the pick tip is the only part of the pick visible (rest is between the fingers)
- close your hand to the strings
- ready to play smile.gif

EDIT: on a side note, if you are happy with holding the pick between thumb and middle finger - do it! If you practice hard enough, there is no difference.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Nov 21 2011, 02:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 14 2011, 08:08 AM) *
I tend to hold my pick with my thumb and index - I can angle the attack or flatten it very comfortably depending on the context. I guess that's the comfiest way for me smile.gif

Same here. I just trying to pick on your way- think I would have no problem to adjust to! If is that the easiest way for you - go for it wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:35 PM