Opeth-style Modulations
Taka Perry
Jan 13 2014, 12:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
I was listening to Opeth the other day, and one thing that caught my ear was their use of modulations. It has a really interesting feel to it, I'm wondering if anyone know what is happening theory-wise? It sounds like everything goes up a semitone or down a semitone

I hear a bunch of modulations throughout the song, but if you listen to the ones around 2:23, and also the modulation that occurs right around the 3:00 mark.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Taka Perry: Jan 13 2014, 12:14 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 13 2014, 01:12 AM
Theory Instructor
Cool track! Yeah the modulation around 2:23 is up a half step, really jumps out at that point, nice use of chromatic riffs.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Jan 15 2014, 12:10 AM
GMC:er
One of the many reasons I'm branded with this bands logo on my chest. Love it, love it, love it.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 15 2014, 09:34 AM
Instructor
Those guys make cool music as for this genre smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 15 2014, 11:06 AM
Learning Tone Master
I love all songs where are used modulation parts. It's not so difficult to modulate but you must know some basic stuff about this thing and you must know exactly how you want to sound your song.
I mean you can use 3 things:
- an inflection modulating, you make just a flavour but you came back in the initial tonality
- you can go in other tonality and make this thing visible but again you come back in the initial tonality
- definitive modulation, you leave the initial tonality and not come back in the initial tonality

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jan 15 2014, 11:07 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:53 PM