Here's My New Song
AdamB
Jun 1 2016, 11:32 AM
GMC:er
Yo,

So I'm working on an album to finally get some music out into the world and I just got finished with the next track, would love to know what people think, good or bad...

https://soundcloud.com/adambradleyguitar/yang-machine

There's more over here:

https://soundcloud.com/adambradleyguitar/se...ng-machine-demo

The concept for the album is all about the relationship between men and machines and how technology shapes the world. It's my first real attempt at writing music so it's been a real struggle to just get to the point that I have these three tracks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jun 1 2016, 08:24 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I like the atmospheric post-rock feel to it. Excellent song writing with some very nice dynamics. It never feels overly repetitive. Damn fine vocals!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jun 2 2016, 08:20 AM
I like the atmospheric post-rock feel to it.

Cheers buddy, I find I write a lot of these sort of atmospheric things - in the writing process I start most songs with an ambient base track of some sort (in this case some ambient wind/birds I recorded in my garden) and that helps a lot to give the track a feel and direction, without that I have no idea where to start writing lol.

Excellent song writing with some very nice dynamics

I think it's one of the better songs I've written (hence why it's on the soundcloud demo), but this music writing thing is so hard! I have to throw away of lot of stuff in order to get these small handful of passable songs.

Also I find mixing is a struggle - I don't have studio monitors or a good ear, so it takes a lot of work to get it sounding balanced. I worry it comes out a bit compressed sounding but I'm glad that so far when I show people it they think the production is OK, so - so far so good!

Damn fine vocals!

the vocals are not me lol. I write the lyrics and melody and then give it to this guy Michael Gildner who I hired to do the vocals for the album, he's super talented. I got tired of trying to find people to collaborate with and just decided to do as much as I can myself and hire people to do bits I can't - so far I've only had to go out to get vocal tracks, everything else I do myself.

This post has been edited by AdamB: Jun 2 2016, 08:22 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 2 2016, 08:19 PM
It works!!! smile.gif The ambient vibe is there to be sure and it's working too. I like the vocal parts as well but they do seem to be almost buried just a pinch in the mix? For most folks, (E.G. non guitar players in general/regular music fans) the vocal is the part of the song to which they connect the most. Not true for me at all but true for a huge chunk of listeners in general. So I'd say maybe mix the vocals a bit more toward the front of the mix. There's my 2 cents on that smile.gif

Other than that it's a fine song and sounding good! If you plan to release it on bandcamp or what not, I'd also suggest looking to someone else to "Master" it as you can benefit greatly from a pair of fresh ears that live on a Pro's head. We have someone here at GMC who does amazing work as a professional mastering engineer. Not to name names, or lean toward "promo" but I"m guessing you know who I mean?

As for the song itself, the structure is good and the playing is very good. I can't wait to hear more smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jun 3 2016, 08:40 AM
It works!!! smile.gif The ambient vibe is there to be sure and it's working too. I like the vocal parts as well but they do seem to be almost buried just a pinch in the mix? For most folks, (E.G. non guitar players in general/regular music fans) the vocal is the part of the song to which they connect the most.

Yea I'm having trouble getting vocals to cut whilst keeping all the detail in the guitars - I think probably because there's just so much stuff layered up. I tend to record loads of parts and then cut it down again, but even after cutting it down there's still like 8 guitar tracks or more in some cases. I find it hard to remove parts that I like, and it all seems to want to occupy the mix

Other than that it's a fine song and sounding good! If you plan to release it on bandcamp or what not, I'd also suggest looking to someone else to "Master" it as you can benefit greatly from a pair of fresh ears that live on a Pro's head.

I don't know how I will release it yet - I know I want to do a short run of CDs just to have something to hold onto for the future, but I don't know beyond that. Maybe digital download somewhere - though I don't really like the idea of selling music, I don't think people should have to pay to hear my musical ramblings. But we'll see, it would be nice to recoup some of the costs.

As for hiring a mastering guy, I'm all for that - only issue is cost, I'm doing this whole thing on a super shoe string. I don't even have studio monitors lol. So we can talk about it but likely case is I just won't be able to afford it.

Edit: Though I do now have a website! www.IndifferentEngine.com

This post has been edited by AdamB: Jun 3 2016, 08:41 AM

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jun 11 2016, 07:09 AM
Annnnd another one's done.

https://soundcloud.com/adambradleyguitar/clockwork-friend

Let me know what's you think!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 11 2016, 04:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Listening now. Nice vibe. I especially love the ambient part with nature. Very relaxing.

As for getting the vocals to cut through the mix, sometimes I find that adding a bit of tape saturation to the vocals can help. But the main thing to consider is carving out an EQ spot for the vocals to sit in. Try finding the frequency range where the vocals sound good (maybe the rich part of the voice you like), and boost that up a dB or two, with a wide Q. Then use that exact EQ curve, but inverted negatively on the guitar tracks. Distorted rhythm guitars tend to cover up vocals in songs, because they share the same midrange frequency spectrum. But I'm no pro - just some advice I have picked up along the way. smile.gif

Brandon

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jun 13 2016, 05:08 PM
Cheers for taking a listen!

I'll try cutting some of the vocal freq. from the guitars as you suggest and see where I can get to. I think the new track I posted above I managed to get it to cut better using that approach so when I come back to mixing Yang machine some more I will give that a go!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:44 AM