which pickups are better for metal???
EMG 81/85 [ 21 ] ** [58.33%]
Seymore Duncan JB/59 [ 15 ] ** [41.67%]
Total Votes: 36
Guests cannot vote 
Outlaw2112
Apr 3 2009, 12:54 AM
GMC:er
Im looking at another guitar, but it has the duncan jb/59 setup in it... I currently use the emg 81/85 setup which i love..
I dont want to be disappointed so i thought i would post something on here for everyones opinion

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Artemus
Apr 3 2009, 01:08 AM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Not a fan of Dimarzios then?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
SensE
Apr 3 2009, 01:18 AM
Since you are looking for another guitar, I would advise go for the Seymour Duncan. The reason is simple, you will have variety of tone for metal. If you really like the guitar, go for it. Don't let the pick-up as the main obstruction. Furthermore, you can switch the pick-up later on if you really don't like it. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Apr 3 2009, 01:22 AM
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Apr 3 2009, 01:18 AM) *
All pickups have different characteristics you cant get a heavier sound by using active pickups, it is a myth that active pickups give a heavier sound than passive ones, except they do have low noise.

BTW why only two choices? theres much much more better ones out there.

This is my guitar which has emgs in it but im no fan of the floyd rose and i never use it... I love
the way my guitar feels and plays

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...EMGs?sku=512954

heres the guitar i was thinking about getting which is the same guitar, just has duncans in it and no
floyd rose

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=518619

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Apr 3 2009, 01:26 AM
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Apr 3 2009, 01:25 AM) *
Damn if that one with duncans in had a floyd rose i'd get it anyday over one that had active pickups.

lol.. the floyd rose is what im trying to get away from

have you played on duncans jb/59 setup?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 3 2009, 01:58 AM
Learning Tone Master
First of all: IF you like the LTD why don't you upgrade to the ESP version of that guitar?!?
It's a hughe step in quality and tone if you get the ESP Horizon (that's the one instructor Ian Bushell plays)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_horizon_nt_bk.htm

Pickups: The SH-4 is the Jeff Beck signature pickup and considered to be an allrounder, it handles pretty much every genre from Jazz, Fusion, Funk, Shred, Blues, Rock and Metal (considering metal: Lamb Of God, Arch Enemy and IroN maiden use or have used the SH-4)

The Sh-4 will handle metal but it will sound and react totally diffrent to your EMG81, it has less output, less high end and more noise than an 81, on the other hand it has more dynamics and is more versatily than an EMG81...

The Sh-1 or 59 is a PAF style vintage pickup - I don't understand why they always put this one togethter with the SH-4 - The 59 has a very low output so that it is less loud than the bridge sh-4 which os kinda odd. Also the 59 sounds very muddy and doesn't clean up too well...all in all it's not the best neck pickup. A 59 bridge in the neck or a Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz would be a better match.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Schumi Jr
Apr 3 2009, 02:05 AM
A while back I compared my Jackson SL3 with Duncan JB bridge back to back with my Schecter with EMG's. Went back and forth and back and forth and for me there was no contest, I liked the JB much better (for metal and all styles really). I preferred the overal sound and especially the dynamics and harmonics. Just my preference though... of course the guitar's wood, the amp, and lots of other things factor in.

This post has been edited by Schumi Jr: Apr 3 2009, 02:07 AM

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Apr 3 2009, 02:24 AM
I'm 100% SD. I've got THIS bad boy in my Ibanez (came stock).

Also I've had a set of '59s in my Epi LP and the neck was awesome! The bridge didn't have enough bite for me.

Personally, I'd go for a '59 in the neck, and the TB-10 in the bridge.

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Apr 3 2009, 02:29 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Apr 3 2009, 03:22 AM
Just ordered the green esp from musicians friend... Ill try them both out and see what one i want to keep.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Schumi Jr
Apr 3 2009, 03:43 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Apr 2 2009, 10:22 PM) *
Just ordered the green esp from musicians friend... Ill try them both out and see what one i want to keep.

Congrats on the new guitar! My wife never pays attention to the looks of any of my guitars, but she's absolutely nuts about anything green and would probably go gaga over that ESP!

Once you get it, let us know what you think of the Duncans! And just remember, you're so used to the EMG's it might take awhile to really tell whether you like the Duncans or not. And maybe you won't, but definitely give them a chance for at least a little while. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Apr 3 2009, 03:48 AM
I have 45 days to decide... gotta love musicians friend

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 3 2009, 10:00 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
A tremol-no could be the answer to keeping your FR guitar and at the same time lose the floyd rose function.

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Apr 3 2009, 10:20 AM
Instructor
The Seymore Duncan JB/59 it's a classic, you wont be disappointed!

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 3 2009, 10:36 AM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Ok. if it's a choice between the two I'd probably opt for the SD's over the EMG's however I don't have that much experience with either. I've played a Jackson with SD pups and an ESP with EMGs - I preferred the Jackson for the dynamic response.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
29a
Apr 3 2009, 12:48 PM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Apr 3 2009, 02:26 AM) *
lol.. the floyd rose is what im trying to get away from

Since I switched to guitars without a trem my fingers are sore far more often from all the bending. rolleyes.gif

With regards to the pickups. I've got an EMG81tw/89 combo in my Hellraiser. I do generally prefer them over the JB/Jazz in my other Schecter because they've got more punch and clarity. The emgs are a bit more compressed however. But in my opinion that doesn't matter much when you play with lots of gain. Because the sound is very compressed anyway. But they are quite different pickups so I wouldn't say that one is better for metal than the other. You'll probably be happy to have both sounds available. At least I am smile.gif

Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 3 2009, 02:29 PM
Instructor
I'm a huge fan of EMG. I think they have a certain clarity and punch to them that makes them excellent for metal and also leads.
The SD's are technically just as good, but it's more of a matter of preference here i would say.
Personally i think the SD's are lacking something. Some would say exactly the opposite.

The best advice i can think of is trying them both out on a familiar amp.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Apr 3 2009, 02:29 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Roadside
Apr 3 2009, 02:54 PM
I like this high, scratchy and screaming sound of duncans! Emg´s are some kind of virtual to me. But try both of them on a familiar amp as trond said. I did it and the choice wasn´t too hard. But anyway one day ill go for some emg´s too!

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Apr 4 2009, 02:13 PM
when i get my new guitar ill post samples of both pickups played through the same settings

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Apr 4 2009, 03:36 PM
I have a few guitars with EMGs in them, then I have my Dinky with the:

Bridge Pickup:
Seymour Duncan® JB™ TB4 Humbucking Pickup
Middle Pickup:
N/A
Neck Pickup:
Seymour Duncan® Jazz™ SH2N Humbucking Pickup

system in it.

I like having both.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Apr 4 2009, 08:02 PM
I would have thought EMGS would have ruled this poll, but the duncans are hanging in there..

I voted for emgs, but ive never played out of these duncans..

I have to say that im happy to see the duncans hanging with the emgs cause i
just bought that other guitar with the duncan jb/59 combo in it

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 03:01 AM