Quick Ezdrumnmer/reaper Question, Help
Ulrik
Apr 14 2012, 04:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi, I tried putting some premade drum grooves in Reaper, and it sounded fine when I exported it.

Today I tried doing my own grooves, but when I try to export a file, the drums are turned into pianosounds from the pianoroll.
Help for heavens sake, oh the humanity, what have I done wrong this time?

EDIT:
I now see I can "render" as a wav.file, but I wanted midi or MP3. Guess I'll just find an online converter.
Do any data get lost, when turned into wav instead of MP3?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ulrik: Apr 14 2012, 04:33 PM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Apr 14 2012, 05:18 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ulrik @ Apr 14 2012, 06:32 PM) *
Hi, I tried putting some premade drum grooves in Reaper, and it sounded fine when I exported it.

Today I tried doing my own grooves, but when I try to export a file, the drums are turned into pianosounds from the pianoroll.
Help for heavens sake, oh the humanity, what have I done wrong this time?

EDIT:
I now see I can "render" as a wav.file, but I wanted midi or MP3. Guess I'll just find an online converter.

In "render to a file" - there is a drop down box. Choose mp3 from there. If it isn't there you have download lame mp3 patch. And you have to put in reaper folder.

Well .wav files are really big compared to mp3. For home use you should use mp3.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Apr 14 2012, 05:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks, I couldn't get that Lame working, but it seems to be a better idea to use some time on that, instead of my method.
My method was making a wav, online converting, and then deleting the wav.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Apr 14 2012, 05:34 PM
Tone Seeker
Are you using windows or apple computer ?

Here's some info about Lame in reaper

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24703

http://www.ehow.com/how_12073221_make-mp3s-reaper.html

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Apr 14 2012, 05:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (WeePee @ Apr 14 2012, 06:34 PM) *
Are you using windows or apple computer ?

Here's some info about Lame in reaper

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24703

http://www.ehow.com/how_12073221_make-mp3s-reaper.html

Thanks again, it's windows.

EDIT:
Fantastic, now it works!

This post has been edited by Ulrik: Apr 14 2012, 06:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Apr 14 2012, 06:51 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ulrik @ Apr 14 2012, 07:44 PM) *
Thanks again, it's windows.

EDIT:
Fantastic, now it works!

Anytime wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Jun 2 2012, 05:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
Now I got another problem, I tried reading almost everywhere and watching tutorials, but cannot solve my problem.

I got it all working up until a couple of weeks ago.
Now I can open EZdrummer by itself, but when I open it in Reaper, there is no sound.

I normally use Pro Tracks Plus for recording, but this started lagging so much, that recording is impossible, around the same time I got Reaper problems.

All other audio programs are working fine.

So maybe it is something about my overall sound configuration?
I guess this could be a lot of different things, and I don't know what it is.
Any of you sound and pc experts got some ideas?

It worked some weeks ago, so I'm really frustrated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Jun 2 2012, 05:38 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ulrik @ Jun 2 2012, 07:04 PM) *
Now I got another problem, I tried reading almost everywhere and watching tutorials, but cannot solve my problem.

I got it all working up until a couple of weeks ago.
Now I can open EZdrummer by itself, but when I open it in Reaper, there is no sound.

I normally use Pro Tracks Plus for recording, but this started lagging so much, that recording is impossible, around the same time I got Reaper problems.

All other audio programs are working fine.

So maybe it is something about my overall sound configuration?
I guess this could be a lot of different things, and I don't know what it is.
Any of you sound and pc experts got some ideas?

It worked some weeks ago, so I'm really frustrated.

If you have that Pro Tracks Plus why do you need Reaper ?
Does the Ezdrummer open in Pro tracks ?

Have you installed Pro track afterwards ?

Maybe You should try to re-install all programs. Ezdrummer and Pro tracks. Maybe it works ?

Cheers

Edit Dude that Pro tracks is old program. Like 2003 !! If you're using newer Win than WinXP it may not work properly !!
Un-install it and use reaper !!

This post has been edited by WeePee: Jun 2 2012, 05:44 PM

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Jun 2 2012, 06:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (WeePee @ Jun 2 2012, 06:38 PM) *
Edit Dude that Pro tracks is old program. Like 2003 !! If you're using newer Win than WinXP it may not work properly !!
Un-install it and use reaper !!

I bought the DigiTech GNX4 around 2003, and Pro tracks is the software, that came along.
What I don't understand is that both programs were working just fine, and now they are not.
I haven't tried EZdrummer in Pro Tracks, don't know if that is possible.

I really hoped, I could avoid reinstalling as, it was hard enough to get to work in the first place.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 2 2012, 08:58 PM
GMC:er
You are launching EZ drummer inside of reaper right? not launching it separately? Also, is it on a MIDI track ? If not you won't hear much sad.gif Also, is MONITORING on for that track? It's probably just a setting. These are the bits that bite you at first in reaper. It gets easier as you go.

Post your project file and I'll have a look wink.gif

(When posting a reaper project, always zip up using winzip the entire folder for the project. This is file management which is now part of being a musician or really part of doing anything creative with a computer )

Todd

QUOTE (Ulrik @ Jun 2 2012, 01:24 PM) *
I bought the DigiTech GNX4 around 2003, and Pro tracks is the software, that came along.
What I don't understand is that both programs were working just fine, and now they are not.
I haven't tried EZdrummer in Pro Tracks, don't know if that is possible.

I really hoped, I could avoid reinstalling as, it was hard enough to get to work in the first place.

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Jun 3 2012, 01:04 AM
Learning Rock Star
I just rendered one of the grooves dragged from EZ (opened in reaper).
No sound in reaper, but the rendered file plays ok in media player.
It's like Reaper is not connected to my loudspeakers (It used to be)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Jun 3 2012, 01:44 AM
Learning Rock Star
Ok, last post before I go to bed.

Normal speakers connected to pc allows me to use programs like media player, youtube and others.
Reaper is silent.

If I connect my GNX4 and start media player then I got sound in media player, but nothing in reaper if opened later.

If I connect my GNX4 and start Reaper before anything else, then I GOT SOUND, but not with media player.

I tried earlier, like weeks ago, that Reaper overtook the speakers, and then media player would play through usb cable GNX4 and finally come out of my guitar amp.

I can see, that I have a lot more options of speakers in my control panel with GNX4 connected, and I guess my newest problem has been, that I disabled some of these options, to force my programs to use my normal good speakers.

1. Can I do anything, so Reaper does not claim my speakers for itself, and find a way, that allows me to use more audio programs at the same time?

2. Is it normal that use of Reaper shuts down everything else?

3. Why does Reaper only work with my GNX4 plugged in, it is not using the GNX4 directly I think, it only uses the extra speaker options provided when my GNX4 is plugged in. This is really strange to me.

4. Why do computers make me want to be violent? Just work dammit!

5. Can you think of anything in Reaper causing these problems, I am thinking it is not really Reapers fault, and I can not think of any options that should be changed in my setup/configuration.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 3 2012, 09:25 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ulrik @ Apr 14 2012, 04:32 PM) *

It's the other way round. Data is compressed when a wave is transcoded to mp3.

If you are recording/mixing audio and intend to use it later in another audio mix you should render to .wav

QUOTE (Ulrik @ Jun 3 2012, 01:44 AM) *
Ok, last post before I go to bed.

Normal speakers connected to pc allows me to use programs like media player, youtube and others.
Reaper is silent.

If I connect my GNX4 and start media player then I got sound in media player, but nothing in reaper if opened later.

If I connect my GNX4 and start Reaper before anything else, then I GOT SOUND, but not with media player.

I tried earlier, like weeks ago, that Reaper overtook the speakers, and then media player would play through usb cable GNX4 and finally come out of my guitar amp.

I can see, that I have a lot more options of speakers in my control panel with GNX4 connected, and I guess my newest problem has been, that I disabled some of these options, to force my programs to use my normal good speakers.

1. Can I do anything, so Reaper does not claim my speakers for itself, and find a way, that allows me to use more audio programs at the same time?

2. Is it normal that use of Reaper shuts down everything else?

3. Why does Reaper only work with my GNX4 plugged in, it is not using the GNX4 directly I think, it only uses the extra speaker options provided when my GNX4 is plugged in. This is really strange to me.

4. Why do computers make me want to be violent? Just work dammit!

5. Can you think of anything in Reaper causing these problems, I am thinking it is not really Reapers fault, and I can not think of any options that should be changed in my setup/configuration.

Routinely you can not use more that one sound card/chip with ASIO - ASIO doesn't like/support multiclient audio.

Chances are that you have set Reaper up to use some version of ASIO. Your on board soundcard/chip that links to your pc speakers is very unlikely to support ASIO but your GNX4 probably does. So Reaper sees the GNX4 as the ASIO sound card and ignores the on board card/chip.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Jun 3 2012, 10:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 3 2012, 10:25 AM) *
It's the other way round. Data is compressed when a wave is transcoded to mp3.

If you are recording/mixing audio and intend to use it later in another audio mix you should render to .wav

Routinely you can not use more that one sound card/chip with ASIO - ASIO doesn't like/support multiclient audio.

Chances are that you have set Reaper up to use some version of ASIO. Your on board soundcard/chip that links to your pc speakers is very unlikely to support ASIO but your GNX4 probably does. So Reaper sees the GNX4 as the ASIO sound card and ignores the on board card/chip.

I set it too ASIO, because a youtube video told me to... Damned
The driver i use is ASIO4ALL v2, and the alternative is GNX4 ASIO (my only two options).

If I now choose Direct Sound or Waveout it works biggrin.gif

Does it make a difference which of these two I choose.

(Now I just need to check if my other recording software is still lagging)

Thank you for your input!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2012, 04:40 AM
GMC:er
Glad to hear it's working! smile.gif make sure your samples/latency is set as low as possible. That one setting can create problems. Many times, the default setting is way to high. Allowing latency. Also, you can record without fx engaged and turn them on for mixdown to help with latency issues. Here is a vid about getting your settings right.

QUOTE (Ulrik @ Jun 3 2012, 05:05 AM) *
I set it too ASIO, because a youtube video told me to... Damned
The driver i use is ASIO4ALL v2, and the alternative is GNX4 ASIO (my only two options).

If I now choose Direct Sound or Waveout it works biggrin.gif

Does it make a difference which of these two I choose.

(Now I just need to check if my other recording software is still lagging)

Thank you for your input!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:48 PM