How cool would a Jam room be, chats and jams
fretdancer
Jan 11 2007, 08:37 PM
GMC:er
How cool would a chat room be where we could all meet up, drop in, and chat - and all play/talk at the same time and all hear each other at the same time...(even view several webcams together) - just like real life really.

Imagine each person had a window...and you could set a volume level on each one - so you can mute some - listen more to others?

I dont know if such technology exists but how cool would that be?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 11 2007, 09:14 PM
QUOTE (fretdancer @ Jan 11 2007, 08:37 PM) *
How cool would a chat room be where we could all meet up, drop in, and chat - and all play/talk at the same time and all hear each other at the same time...(even view several webcams together) - just like real life really.

Imagine each person had a window...and you could set a volume level on each one - so you can mute some - listen more to others?

I dont know if such technology exists but how cool would that be?

Well, you CAN get yahoo messenger where you can have multiple people in a single conversation at the same time. No web cam that I know of but you can hear everybody..

Alternatively you can get something like Ventrilo, Teamspeak etc. but yahoo allows you to write as well while others play and you sit quietly waiting dfor your turn.

And yes it is a cool idea. too bad my mic sucks too much -.-

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
beebo
Jan 11 2007, 10:00 PM
That would be awesome or at least a place where we could all chat without having to wait for a while biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
moorkop
Jan 11 2007, 10:09 PM
Yea i think a chat room would be a logical progression of the site, since there are people all over the world you always have someone to talk to smile.gif
Maybe its too ambicious to start with a jam room but if you combine the chat room and everyone is on ventrillo, it's pretty much the same thing right?

My only problem is that my jams are very experimental and sound like a bunch of crap laugh.gif

--------------------
gear
guitar: ibanez SA 260 FM
amp: hughes & ketler blue edition 60 wts (in garage)
amp you hear: crappy yahama borrowed from friend
effects: dunlop jimi hendrix wahwah

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 12 2007, 08:59 AM
GMC Founder
This is a very good and interesting idea.

There are to my knowledge some sites claiming to offer this - has anybody tried them?

The reason I am sceptical is because I cannot see it working "over seas" - as there always is a tiny delay in response time. This must be terribly annoying when jamming.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 12 2007, 09:16 AM
Instructor
I tried to jam with my friend who lives in my country, and we did it over Skype which has the lowest latency of all programs, but there is still latency big enough to make it terrible.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 12 2007, 09:38 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 12 2007, 09:16 AM) *
I tried to jam with my friend who lives in my country, and we did it over Skype which has the lowest latency of all programs, but there is still latency big enough to make it terrible.

Ok, well. Being the computer geek, or well, ex-computer geek and nowadays guitargeek, I will give some tips on this.

There is no way to get an accurate jamming session in the meaning of jamming. This isn't mainly 'cause of distances. You would get it in a swede-to-swede jamming session over the internet or whatnot as well. This is because of, and varies depending on how good, your broadband and what speed it offers.

Closest thing you will get to a jamming session will be something like I already mentioned, yahoo, skype(dont like this one but hey), ventrilo etc. This will be more of a live lick trading session rather than a jam. Here you'll have people showing of their new solos, famous riff etc and takin turns in who plays. While not a jam session it can be highly entertaining and inspirational. We did this on another forum before it got infested by dumbasses who did nothing but flame.

So that's the basic idea.. you turn your volume knob down while others play and you fiddle around with your licks, talkin in the chat, listening, pass judgement and await your turn. Then when it's your time to go mad others will judge your playing.

It's not hard to set up, the problem is getting everyone on at the same time.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 13 2007, 11:01 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Stålkonsum @ Jan 12 2007, 11:38 AM) *
Ok, well. Being the computer geek, or well, ex-computer geek and nowadays guitargeek, I will give some tips on this.

There is no way to get an accurate jamming session in the meaning of jamming. This isn't mainly 'cause of distances. You would get it in a swede-to-swede jamming session over the internet or whatnot as well. This is because of, and varies depending on how good, your broadband and what speed it offers.

Closest thing you will get to a jamming session will be something like I already mentioned, yahoo, skype(dont like this one but hey), ventrilo etc. This will be more of a live lick trading session rather than a jam. Here you'll have people showing of their new solos, famous riff etc and takin turns in who plays. While not a jam session it can be highly entertaining and inspirational. We did this on another forum before it got infested by dumbasses who did nothing but flame.

So that's the basic idea.. you turn your volume knob down while others play and you fiddle around with your licks, talkin in the chat, listening, pass judgement and await your turn. Then when it's your time to go mad others will judge your playing.

It's not hard to set up, the problem is getting everyone on at the same time.

Thanks, very good info. smile.gif

Maybe we could have a lick trading feature..! So I guess it would be possible to have video in it too? (not only audio? Or would that slow things down?)

--------------------

+Quote Post
PickNGrin
Jan 13 2007, 09:17 PM
A bunch of us from the Marc Seal forum have been meeting in live voice chat rooms for YEARS! We started with Yahoo, but we all moved to Pal-Talk a couple of years ago becuase we had problems with Yahoo locking up ---again, thise was years ago, 4 or 5 maybe.
We CANNOT jam in live time together, but we all decide lets meet at (time) -then we have to figure out the time zone thing so we log on at the same time. We can make our room private just for us if we get a pest or microphone hog.
Guess what? Before I did video lessons, I would do live lessons with voice chat! I'd teach songs mostly, answer questions -you can text questions or ask via voice.

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 16 2007, 12:00 AM
I'm not sure about the mass-video sessions but an educated guess is that it would kill all sense of timing (audio/video wise) and I would guess if you do not have a solid connection you would drop so fast you won't finnish anything. Do not underestimate "just sound" though, it can be loads of fun laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:03 AM