Idea: The Wiki Centralization Project, Been thinking a while about this lately...
Fran
Jul 25 2008, 12:46 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Hello! cool.gif

I have an idea in my mind lately, and I believe it would be cool to implement it, I call it the Wiki Centralization Project!, and I'm willing to do it if you guys think its helpful.

So, what's this Wiki Centralization Project blink.gif

As it is now, there are three different reviews sub-boards, plus our own GMC wikipedia. Some people write awesome reviews on the boards, some others do the same on the wikipedia. The Wiki Centralization Project (WCP from now on laugh.gif) will make sure that everything reviewed on the forums appears on our Wikipedia too. Pretty simple!

I'm willing to go through all our reviews and make a wiki entry out of each one, starting with the Gear Reviews board.

Why do this WCP thing anyway?

I believe it will be helpful for several reasons:

- It will make it easy for any GMC:er to find things faster using the powerful wikipedia searching features or just taking a quick look at the different articles browsing by Categories,, thus allowing all of us to read about stuff that we didn't know was there before!. As it is now you might be looking for a review on a certain gadget on the forums which is only available on the wikipedia, or viceversa.

- It will certainly improve the overall quality of our guitar wiki, creating loads of new entries.

How exactly will you proceed to create the WCP entries?

I will follow these simple steps:

- I will add all the info from each forum entry into a new Wiki template, containing category, index box, etc.
- I wil add a few pictures if needed or missing.
- I will create the links to other wiki entries as needed.
- I will put a note at the bottom of each entry stating "Originally By .....", giving credit of the info to the person who made the original review in the forums.

Simple! Effective!

What are the drawbacks of this WCP invention of yours?

None that I foresee!
People can still keep writing their reviews in the forums as always. Or in the wikipedia.
Original reviews written in the reviews forums will remain there, untouched.
I will take care of everything, starting slowly with the Gear reviews board, and later moving to the rest of the boards as needed.
I will keep an eye on all reviews boards and create the wiki articles needed as new stuff is posted on the forums.

Why on earth have I written such a long thread!!, sorry it's too long, but I hope I managed to explain my idea in detail.
I plan on doing this slowly working a bit every day, it seems like an interesting and useful thing to improve the site, and I think I will have a good time doing it during the next months.

So, what do you guys think? Shall I go for it or is it a waste of time?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:58 PM