2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Well, We Got At Least 8 Months Of Peace Left..., Eurovision finally ended this time.
Staffy
May 30 2010, 12:51 AM
Learning Tone Master
After watching these totally un-talented people (with a very few exceptions) for three hours with my daughter, I think the song-writers are owing the people an official excuse for the garbage they produced this time. The only thing that made me happy in this competion was the Ukrainian singer who was absolutely georgeous and at least sang with a personal voice. With respect to all germans here, I must say that the winner was terrible, even "99 Luftballoons" was a better song. I still cant figure it out how she could win????

//Staffay

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
May 30 2010, 01:32 AM
Learning Tone Master
I think this year was a good Eurovision year. There were severeal quite good songs, and I really enjoyed Ukrianias song. I'm glad Eurovision is becoming more and more varied smile.gif

Congrats Germans!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: May 30 2010, 01:33 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 30 2010, 04:28 AM
Instructor
It was funny for me to watch the artificial movements of the faces of performers, they got their faces rehearsed down to smallest of movements to look perfect. I understand it should look perfect, it's a show and everything, but perfect for who? I mean, we people appreciate honesty as important part of a performers personality, so how can this rehearsed performance be perfect? You can feel it is not perfect, it shows that it is rehearsed.

Aside that winner is determined totally out of the actual voting.

Don't get me wrong, I have certain respect for this event, and people involved, it's definitely not for underestimating the things they go through and all.. but it feels unnatural to me to watch it, it's ultra artificial, if you know what I mean..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sted
May 30 2010, 09:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
Oh man...

I cant even watch it, I saw the UK guy on the news over here and he was terrible, produced by the biggest purveyor of teeny bop pop music Pete Waterman...to be avoided at all costs!

+Quote Post
superize
May 30 2010, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I dident watch a minute of the eurovision last night and i am very glad i dident

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Rik Veldhuizen
May 30 2010, 09:16 AM
Learning Rock Star
I can't watch it either. The songs are terrible, most performances are hard to watch for more then 10 secs... And of course, we (the Netherlands) keep sending horrible songs to this event, which never gets us in the finals anyway biggrin.gif.

And it also caused me to stay in an hotel at the airport of Oslo, in stead of a nice hotel in the centre... Had to give a presentation right across the Telenor Arena (at Telenor HQ) where they held the songcontest, so got in day before. All hotels full of course.. sad.gif Damn contest smile.gif

This post has been edited by Rik Veldhuizen: May 30 2010, 09:18 AM

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
May 30 2010, 09:20 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Totally agree with you, Staffy. I didn't watch this event this time as our drummer had a huge birthday party, but I was surprised "our" german girl won. There is a huge hype going on about her since the last couple of month, everyone likes her way, this "Watch out, I'm coming, I like music that isn't mainstream (Adele and Kate Nash...very underground stuff...)". Personally, I think she is totally annoying, but now the german yellow press has someone to drool over.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 30 2010, 09:49 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ May 30 2010, 02:32 AM) *
I think this year was a good Eurovision year. There were severeal quite good songs, and I really enjoyed Ukrianias song. I'm glad Eurovision is becoming more and more varied smile.gif

Congrats Germans!

Well, if this was a good one, i certainly NOT wanna expeience a bad one... laugh.gif

QUOTE (sted @ May 30 2010, 10:05 AM) *
Oh man...

I cant even watch it, I saw the UK guy on the news over here and he was terrible, produced by the biggest purveyor of teeny bop pop music Pete Waterman...to be avoided at all costs!

Yeah, I recognized that too, and there was 5 Swede's involved in other countries entries - btw. the very same that competes with one or more songs every year in the Swedish contest. That just tells me one thing - if You cant get Your garbage out, then just dump it in the neighbours garden.... tongue.gif

QUOTE (Rik Veldhuizen @ May 30 2010, 10:16 AM) *
I can't watch it either. The songs are terrible, most performances are hard to watch for more then 10 secs... And of course, we (the Netherlands) keep sending horrible songs to this event, which never gets us in the finals anyway biggrin.gif.

Right, we was not in the final either, and should'nt be... on the other side of the coin it was a bad excuse for a final, I didn't found a real catchy refrain in any song.

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
May 30 2010, 10:04 AM
GMC:er
I didnt watch it either because I couldnt bare the humiliation Greece would undergo.... But we won the 8th place ohmy.gif Didnt expect that but its still a nice place compared to the OPA OPA we sent tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 30 2010, 10:11 AM
Learning Tone Master
Why am I complaining bout this? You can call me old-fashioned, but in the old days this competition was a showcase for talented artists as well as talented composers. The schlager genre was on its own and most melody's was made out of a good melody and some nice chords.
I listed some points here below that really destroyed this event:

1) No live orchestra.
2) The competition is nowadays "closed" for the public, the composers are all from the main record companies or friends to the bosses of the broadcasting companies. Before You could just send a tape with Your song, and then the broadcasting company orchestrated it and arranged it and helped You perform it.
3) The general public can vote together with jury's from each country. Of course this is for commercial reasons - the broadcasting companies makes a huge revenue on the phone calls/sms - but it just turned the competition to something ridicolous: Amateurs judging amateurs.....
4) The over-whelming production. A good song shall stand out sung in normal light with just an acoustic guitar and a pair of jeans. Not by fooling people by an expensive stage design.
5) The lack of professionallism - a lot of participants should'nt make it in the first round of "American Idol", they are so bad musical-wise and performing-wise so I dont really get how people can think this is good and voted them there in the first place.

Besides the things stated above, I think the competetion did gave us a lot of great songs during the years that now are "Evergreens". Unfortunately I dont remember a single song from the past ten years......
Nad I still dont understand what Israel and Turkey are doing in this competition - oki, they are part of the EBU, but if its marketed as an European event, it shall contain only European countries - else, make it world-wide, it would have been much more fun....

//Staffay

QUOTE (Darknodar123 @ May 30 2010, 11:04 AM) *
I didnt watch it either because I couldnt bare the humiliation Greece would undergo.... But we won the 8th place ohmy.gif Didnt expect that but its still a nice place compared to the OPA OPA we sent tongue.gif

Oh well, we had an old lady who sang opera to a disco-beat last year, it was even worser than Your "opa-opa", I do understand why this one humiliates You... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
May 30 2010, 11:45 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I didn't even watch it this time. Not even 10 minutes! laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 30 2010, 03:43 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I didn't watch this years finals (I had a gig). But generally I do like this tradition event I like watching it. I don't have expectations to hear music that I like listening to - there but its nice to hear songs each country sends. Some years are better then others and there are few nice songs performed each time. But as I said, I consider this light entertainment and "family watching" tradition smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
May 30 2010, 05:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Well the Belgian singer lives in my city (know him from school). And he finished 6th but IMO ... the songs from 1 till 5 realy didn't deserve to end there...

He just had to end 2nd like the did all the time... not 1st (Belgium cant pay that I'm sure of that!)

@Rik Veldhuizen: Whahah the "shalalie shalala" song indeed was crap! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Mrblomme: May 30 2010, 05:28 PM

--------------------
Homer J. Simpson: Rockstars is there anything they dont know?

+Quote Post
Rik Veldhuizen
May 30 2010, 05:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mrblomme @ May 30 2010, 06:24 PM) *
@Rik Veldhuizen: Whahah the "shalalie shalala" song indeed was crap! laugh.gif

Yeah, it was bad... But not surprising, given that it was written by the same man who wrote the Smurf Song a long time ago biggrin.gif :

+Quote Post
Lale Nikic
May 30 2010, 07:06 PM
Instructor
type of music that you hear on eurovision is a type of music i think nobody listens to....its a money & brain washing machine=euro/dance/pop...i'm not saying that it should be metal ,but it seems like everyone of those guys is deliberetly trying to make a worst possible song...as much unnoticable as they can...

--------------------
www.myspace.com/magmametalband

+Quote Post
sted
May 30 2010, 09:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Rik Veldhuizen @ May 30 2010, 05:47 PM) *
Yeah, it was bad... But not surprising, given that it was written by the same man who wrote the Smurf Song a long time ago biggrin.gif :

laugh.gif

how funny is that?? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 30 2010, 10:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Rik Veldhuizen @ May 30 2010, 06:47 PM) *

Yeah, now we're getting somewhere in this discussion. I've always considered the audience to be Smurfs, so I think this composer did a fantastic job !!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
May 31 2010, 10:35 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Rik Veldhuizen @ May 30 2010, 06:47 PM) *

Gotta love the smurfs! Grown up with them! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Homer J. Simpson: Rockstars is there anything they dont know?

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 31 2010, 10:50 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Loved the show, watched the whole thing and all the local semis.
Can't wait for next years competition smile.gif

But like Staffy says, a lot changed from how it used to be. Live orchestra should be a must. If it's not playable live, get lost cool.gif

It was better förr

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
May 31 2010, 10:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (MickeM @ May 31 2010, 11:50 PM) *
Live orchestra should be a must. If it's not playable live, get lost cool.gif

I disagree. Music is changing, why shouldn't Eurovision? smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:04 AM