Recording Pc Spec, Gotta sell some stuff!!!
PosterBoy
Nov 25 2011, 01:05 PM
Learning Roadie
So I've just been on Dabs.ie and spec'd a Recording pc that will be enough hopefully for a few years

I wanted something that would cope with VSTis like Omnisphere and EZdrummer and maybe Trillian as well as your normal effect plugins

Antec Sonata IV 620UK Quiet Mid Tower Case Black USB3 + 620W PSU

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz AM3 Processor

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 DDR3 ATX

Corsair Memory 16GB (4x4GB) Vengeance Performance DDR3 1600MHz

OCZ Technology 120GB Vertex 3 Series SATA III 2.5" Solid State Drive

2x Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200rpm SATA 3Gb/s 32MB

Asus ATI Radeon 5450 HD 1GB PCI-Express 2.1 HDMI

Samsung 12x BD-ROM/DVDRW Lightscribe SATA

BenQ G2420HD 24" Widescreen 1920 x 1080 HDMI DVI-D VGA LCD Monitor

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional English DVD

CablesToGo 1m 180° To 90° 7 pin Serial ATA (SATA) Cable
CablesToGo 2m Velocity HDMI Digital Video Cable
Corsair Air Series A50 Performance CPU Cooler

This pretty lot comes to just under €1500

I hope I haven't missed anything!!!!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 25 2011, 03:16 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Nice spec generally smile.gif .

One possible thing to think about is the video card. If you only intend the pc for recording then you have no need for a high end video card. Some actually will make the audio performance worse due to data transfer issues and they also tend to suck power from the psu. So you could downgrade the card to a more basic 2d model with dual monitor out put and maybe change the 24 inch screen to 2 19 inchers.

Problem though might be finding anyone who will still carry a more basic 2d dual monitor card...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 25 2011, 03:26 PM
Learning Roadie
I thought that card was quite basic when I looked at the price ~€30 I like that it has HDMI as the Monitor with HDMI input can be used elsewhere. I'm not sure I'll have the space for 2x 19" Monitors though it would be preferable to have tracks on one screen and mixer etc on the other.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 25 2011, 03:43 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 25 2011, 02:26 PM) *
I thought that card was quite basic when I looked at the price ~€30 I like that it has HDMI as the Monitor with HDMI input can be used elsewhere. I'm not sure I'll have the space for 2x 19" Monitors though it would be preferable to have tracks on one screen and mixer etc on the other.

That's probably a good indication of what is now seen as entry level video cards smile.gif . You might still be able to source a 2d one but they will almost certainly be NOS and cost more than 30 Euros and may not be pci express. So for 30 Euros you may as well stick with it and if you can turn off some of the video bells and whistles smile.gif .*

Twin monitors is a bit of a personal preference. I'd much rather have 2 twin 19 inchers than one big screen so that I can dedicate the space on one to one function and the other runs as ancillary much like you say.

(*Same goes for Windows really - turn off a lot of the 'cool' stuff as it just gets in the way of audio performance.)

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 25 2011, 08:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the advice

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Nov 25 2011, 10:03 PM
Instructor
Evil machine !!! That SSD is a bingo , but it's too pricey for me at the moment :/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 26 2011, 01:26 AM
Instructor
I have very similar setup, just bought the system couple of months ago, but a bit lower specs:

AMD Phenom X6 1090T
Asus M5A97 PRO
8 GB RAM
SSD Kingston 60GB
1x 350GB, 1x750GB HDDs
Entry level Radeon HD6xxx GPU
64bit Win7
32bit DAW (for now, because of stability)

In general, I can run Spectrasonics plugins no problem with this setup, and can pack lots of instances in the same project, that shouldn't be a problem for you. If you are building your software setup from scratch it will be a lot easier. I have plenty of 32bit projects that have 32bit plugs. Some cannot be found in 64bit. Drivers for my audio system are still in beta 64bit stage. These "smaller" problems will become the biggest, the rest of the stuff will be easy. I hope you have little or no problems at all.

EDIT: on a side note, I noticed huge improvement in video rengering (6 cores are doing their work), and I noticed hube improvement in responsiveness of the system and OS, due to SSD drive, best investment and worth it!

EDIT: typos in italic

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Nov 26 2011, 11:55 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 26 2011, 02:28 AM
GMC:er
Should be a great rig smile.gif The 120 SSD will fill up fast and windows will be hogging part of it for ram swap outs. If anything, I'd say maybe skip one of the internals (you can always add external storage really cheap and it's portable) and get a bigger SSD. I've never, heard anyone regret getting a bigger boot drive. Ever.

Though I've heard plenty from those who "wished they got the bigger drive" 120 seems huge until you put windows (massive resource hog that it is), your apps and your plugins, vst's, and anything else you want to run at top speed on it. All drives should run with 20 percent free space as a minimum. So 200 mb free per gig. Otherwise, they can start to act odd. Of course some folks run it to the limit and have zero trouble. Some folks seem to do lots of stuff and have zero trouble. IF you are one of those folks, then you'll probably be fine. If not, make sure to leave 20 percent on any physical drive.

Looks like you've specced a monster rig smile.gif Enjoy!

Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 25 2011, 07:05 AM) *
So I've just been on Dabs.ie and spec'd a Recording pc that will be enough hopefully for a few years

I wanted something that would cope with VSTis like Omnisphere and EZdrummer and maybe Trillian as well as your normal effect plugins

Antec Sonata IV 620UK Quiet Mid Tower Case Black USB3 + 620W PSU

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz AM3 Processor

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 DDR3 ATX

Corsair Memory 16GB (4x4GB) Vengeance Performance DDR3 1600MHz

OCZ Technology 120GB Vertex 3 Series SATA III 2.5" Solid State Drive

2x Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200rpm SATA 3Gb/s 32MB

Asus ATI Radeon 5450 HD 1GB PCI-Express 2.1 HDMI

Samsung 12x BD-ROM/DVDRW Lightscribe SATA

BenQ G2420HD 24" Widescreen 1920 x 1080 HDMI DVI-D VGA LCD Monitor

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional English DVD

CablesToGo 1m 180° To 90° 7 pin Serial ATA (SATA) Cable
CablesToGo 2m Velocity HDMI Digital Video Cable
Corsair Air Series A50 Performance CPU Cooler

This pretty lot comes to just under €1500

I hope I haven't missed anything!!!!!!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 26 2011, 07:14 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
AMD Athlon III X2 255 3.1ghz Processor

500GB Internal Hard Drive

1TB External Hard Drive (Seagate GoFlex)

NVidia GeForce Integrated graphics chipset (512mb, hdmi - I have a 1024mb model but I took it out as I have no need for it)

Corsair 8GB RAM (2x4GB)

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

LG 26" LCD TV (used as monitor tongue.gif )

Asus Xonar D1 Sound Card (default as this PC is new as of today)

REAPER

This setup I can run up to about 75 tracks filled with Native Instruments effects of all kind; Absynth, Massive, Battery - alongside some EWQL plugins, Guitar Rig 5 and Steven Slate Drums as well and it runs pretty solid. More intricate orchestra work sometimes creates a heavy drain on the CPU though, crashed a few times. Wish I had 16GB ram laugh.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 26 2011, 10:43 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 26 2011, 01:28 AM) *
Should be a great rig smile.gif The 120 SSD will fill up fast and windows will be hogging part of it for ram swap outs. If anything, I'd say maybe skip one of the internals (you can always add external storage really cheap and it's portable) and get a bigger SSD. I've never, heard anyone regret getting a bigger boot drive. Ever.

Though I've heard plenty from those who "wished they got the bigger drive" 120 seems huge until you put windows (massive resource hog that it is), your apps and your plugins, vst's, and anything else you want to run at top speed on it. All drives should run with 20 percent free space as a minimum. So 200 mb free per gig. Otherwise, they can start to act odd. Of course some folks run it to the limit and have zero trouble. Some folks seem to do lots of stuff and have zero trouble. IF you are one of those folks, then you'll probably be fine. If not, make sure to leave 20 percent on any physical drive.

Looks like you've specced a monster rig smile.gif Enjoy!

Todd

I was just going to leave the ssd for windows and programs, the 1st 7200 drive would be for vst and samples, and 2nd for audio data

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 26 2011, 11:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 26 2011, 10:43 AM) *
I was just going to leave the ssd for windows and programs, the 1st 7200 drive would be for vst and samples, and 2nd for audio data

That should work nicely.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:23 AM