Oops! Broke It Again.
maharzan
Jan 17 2010, 03:30 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I was practicing Muris's Steve Lukather style lesson and I was really feeling it and building up the confidence that finally I am really able to play with power. The bends were really helping me on my finger strength and as I continued practicing the bends, I broke the first string.

Oh NO!

I don't really break strings.. this is like the second time while playing. I wanted to post a REC but looks like that will have to postpone a bit.

Need to put on the new set tomorrow.

cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
djohnneay
Jan 17 2010, 04:30 PM
GMC:er
You should always have an extra string set at home. It also depends on how long you've used the strings already. Older strings are more breakable.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 17 2010, 05:01 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Always have the spare set laying around! Keep breaking strings if its from practice! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 17 2010, 05:28 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
o i have 3 sets.. its too late to change today .. smile.gif too much bending i guess.

BTW, should I try a 10 gauze string on Ibanez floyd rose? I think it defaults to 9 so not sure if 10 will work. Any users?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 17 2010, 08:09 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jan 17 2010, 05:28 PM) *
o i have 3 sets.. its too late to change today .. smile.gif too much bending i guess.

BTW, should I try a 10 gauze string on Ibanez floyd rose? I think it defaults to 9 so not sure if 10 will work. Any users?

It should work. Maybe you'll have to do some setup on the floyd to accommodate new gauge but it would work.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jan 17 2010, 08:09 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 18 2010, 02:44 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Bogdon. Will try.. I m realising I am getting a high sharp tone and not getting the warm tone. I tried to increase Bass / decrease treble in the amp and what not but it still feels weak so I think I will try the 10s, if it doesn't bend the neck. I have a cracked neck. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 18 2010, 02:50 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jan 17 2010, 05:28 PM) *

i use 9's on a floyd. if i swicth too tens i have to tune 1\2 step flat so i don't have to mess with the spring tension

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 18 2010, 05:35 AM
Instructor
Strings are meant to be broken, specially if you play/practice lot of bends,
nothing wrong with that, rock on. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 18 2010, 06:55 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Changed it Guys! I now feel the warmth on my tone. That was the secret. Its now doing justice to my guitar and amp. smile.gif Had to struggle a bit setting up the FR but its good now.

Cheers all!! My fingers will need to adapt to this and I know it will hurt again but I am all ready for it.

Thanks you so much everyone. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jan 18 2010, 11:57 AM
Jazz Instructor
More strings you breaks, more yo have progressed! smile.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 18 2010, 06:16 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
haha.. yep probably thats why I was stuck at the same level all this time. Now I have broken twice.. I am feeling the confidence. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Jan 18 2010, 07:46 PM
GMC:er
Judging from you'r profile picture you really bend with power
haha! biggrin.gif

Yeah, I like thinking like this.

A new string broke: A new milestone! laugh.gif

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 20 2010, 03:58 PM
Instructor
Look it on the bright side, then you NEED to change the set and the tone will be better biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 20 2010, 04:45 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Very true Ivan.. I m feeling it a lot easier to play and evens sounds better!! I have leave this baby for 2 weeks now.. hope it doesn't rust when I get back. sad.gif

For the bending.. my fingers are very weak indeed. I wish I had the power (which is coming slowly). My fingers has been really soft.. Its only purpose is to press these computer keys.. I should use classic typewriters perhaps. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 22 2010, 01:55 AM
Instructor
Strings only break when they are old in my experience. I never do bendings of more that a major third maximum.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:40 PM