Avenged Sevenfold - Avenged Sevenfold, Ah the eponymous album associated with a single color
Goliath
Nov 3 2007, 06:50 AM
GMC:er
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...evenfold_Review

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 3 2007, 06:53 AM
Learning Tone Master
I think this Album shows the development of the band. It's not much weaker than city of evil and way better than Waking the Fallen.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Nov 3 2007, 06:53 AM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Soul_Decision
Nov 3 2007, 07:03 AM
I found this album disappointing :/

--------------------
Push through all barriers.......Never self-limit.........Because there is none

+Quote Post
Bedlam
Nov 3 2007, 07:28 AM
So true. I was a big fan of City of Evil, then they put this out huh.gif What's with "A Little Piece of Heaven"? It's like they're tring to be Mr. Bungle, but fail miserably. M Shadows could never pull off what Mike Patten does.

Some good riffs. Some ok solos. More mainstream sad.gif

Great review.

This post has been edited by Bedlam: Nov 3 2007, 07:49 AM

+Quote Post
CyanideChris
Nov 3 2007, 07:33 AM
Never really liked any of their albums, but I gave them one last chance as this was hyped up to be good.
But nah, just didn't do it for me. At all. This is worse than their old stuff in my opinion, so I'm just giving up on A7X now.

--------------------
ESP Horizon FR-II
ESP M-II
Ibanez UV777BK w/BK-Warpig/Coldsweat
ENGL Savage SE
Mesa Dual Rectifier (two channel)

+Quote Post
Owen
Nov 3 2007, 07:46 AM
Had a friend ranting on about "A little piece of heaven" - got sent it, heard it, decided it was overly dramatic as usual, over-produced and a bit dull, turned it off and forgot about it.

Dont really have much respect for the band either. =/

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Nov 3 2007, 08:47 PM
i got this album! its great! i think anyway. synister gates has been ppracticing guitar often lol

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Nov 4 2007, 11:13 PM
You know I do like A7x alot ! But personally .....

City Of Evil > New Album

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 7 2007, 05:28 AM
After further listens to this album thinking "Maybe I'm just missing something", I was sad to say, I am not.

I do really respect Syn's ability to create these really floaty, haunting licks then harmonize them, but that wasn't enoguh to save the CD.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
AudunESP
Nov 14 2007, 04:46 AM
Ive heard Critical acclaim, Almost Easy, scream and A Little Peace Of Heaven....and MAN! that was disapointing! I never expected A7X to lose their inspiration, just listen to how they have improved from their new-thinking Metalcore cd Waking the fallen, to their heavy metal masterpiece City of evil, and now THAT. They really had the power and the put all their potencial in City of evil.I think they are going the same way as metallica were going when they put out "LOAD" and "RELOAD", and im not overreacting.
BTW im a now-dying die-hard fan of Avenged Sevenfold.But im not going to let this album destroy my joy of listening to "Cìty Of Evil"though.

This post has been edited by AudunESP: Nov 14 2007, 04:46 AM

--------------------
Scales = some boring stuff thats totally unnescesary to create cool music, liek, if ur stupid.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 14 2007, 04:48 AM
Havent heard the whole album yet but from the songs I have listened to it is awesome.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 14 2007, 04:54 AM
I've only heard Almost easy off the new album.I think thats a pretty good track.You can tell a change in his vocals.As for the rest of the cd i havent heard it

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 14 2007, 05:26 PM
Lets go fishing!
Really great job on the reveiw. I am curious about this band, I havent yet really listend to them

P.s on a side note, I wonder what Synister Gates real name is ? laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Nov 16 2007, 05:23 PM
His real name is Brian Elwin Haner Jr.
I actually REALLY like this album, I disliked it to begin with but it really does grow on you the more you listen. I love the guitar parts, n the vocals n everything. Listen to it whilst driving, so your not too intent or picking up differences, listen openly, that's how I came to love it.
Best intro for an album...."shh be quiet, you might piss somebody off, LIKE ME....." tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Paul Coutts: Nov 16 2007, 05:24 PM

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 20 2007, 03:04 PM
I've listened to it a couple times and actually saw them 2 nights ago live in support of the new album. I still think it's a lousy metal album. However, my opinion of it's a decent pop/mainstream album is slowly building. If anything, the concert was proof positive to my assessment.

Backstory: I'm 6'-6" tall and 285 lbs and athletic. Go to a decent amount of metal shows, and decide to go to this one. I can be a terror in the pit if I decide I want to be. The concert is on a sunday night and I've got work the next day, last thing I need are bruised ribs to make a monday any more miserable than they already are. I decide to get in in the pit but not mosh.

So I'm at the concert having enjoyed 2 of 3 of the opening acts (Black Tide, The Confession (I really liked them, decent metalcore), and Operator (not so much on these guys)). I progressively make my way closer to the stage with each act while me and my buddy take turns buying rounds. I get into the first 20 rows of people or so. All of a sudden I'm well over a foot taller than everyone around me. I really start to take in my surroundings: I'm knee deep in high school aged kids and girls. I look to my back, there are more and more older folks w/ beers making their way to the front. I can already see how this is going to end. Finish the last beer before the show starts and wait. Organs pipe in for the beginning of Critical Acclaim. The pit erupts. Apparently some folks decided to use me as a spearhead to get closer. I was just going to use a mosh pit to get closer but go with it. I get pushed to about the 4th row of folks off the rail. Now all of the highschoolers and girls realize that even if a band is somewhat marginally metal, doesn't mean that they won't put on a metal show. I get asked to crowd surf out about 20 younger guys and girls who want nothing more than out of there. The pit started about 60/40 guys/girls. After the first three songs it was approaching the status quo of 90/10 guys/girls as it is usually at metal shows.

Moral of the story: Metal shows are a male dominated contact sport, know what you're getting into if you're in the pit.

At any rate, the point is that the crowd demographic had shifted from the last I saw A7x to a much younger and more female crowd.

The Metallica example is a really good one. If you pick up the CD expecting a good metal album like City of Evil, then you'll be sorely disappointed. If you look at it as a decent hard rock/pop rock album, you'll probably be less disappointed (and assuming you'd not heard Sound the Seventh Trumpet, Waking the Fallen, or City of Evil). Much like if you picked up Load and were unfamiliar with Metallica's previous catalog, you'd probably not be quite as disappointed. it's a decent hard rock album, but far away from their metal roots.

That all said, M. Shadows has opted to update his older material with his new vocal stylings rather than just screaming. Unholy Confessions sounded way better.

Oh, and at the concert, The Rev had the most amazing drum kit I've ever seen, featuring 3 kick drums.

Can't remember the whole set list but it was to the effect of (in no particular order): Critical Acclaim, Burn it Down, Beast and The Harlot, Almost Easy, Unholy Confessions, Bat Country, Sieze the Day, Scream, Afterlife.

That's all i can remember.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 7 2010, 07:48 PM
Instructor
I would say 8/10

great album, imo

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Rik Veldhuizen
Mar 7 2010, 09:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
Really like this album. I do listen to City of Evil more often though, but still, really enjoy listening to the 'white album'. For me, A7X is my most favourite band of those emerging in the past decade.
Looking forward to their next one, eventhough the rev will be sorely missed...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 7 2010, 11:03 PM
Instructor
I like this album... I'm haven't listened to much to the previous albums but this one has my favourite song from them: Afterlife. It's AMAZING.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jan 6 2012, 04:13 AM
Instructor
Its a decent album. Not the best by them, but still worth listening to.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 8 2012, 12:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jan 6 2012, 12:13 AM) *
Its a decent album. Not the best by them, but still worth listening to.

Now I can say that "Nightmare" is the best one by them (or at least my favorite).

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:06 PM