I Can't Catch A Break..
Sabbz
Sep 30 2011, 03:27 AM
GMC:er
Back in May, my wife and I were in a very bad wreck. A tractor trailer made an illegal right turn from the left lane right in front of us and I barely had time to hit the brakes. I plowed right into the side of the guy. Well that completely boned my back. As if it weren't already that way. I went through 3 months of physical therapy and chiropractors visits. And that didn't solve the problem, so after all the back surgeries I've had, 4 in all, I requested an MRI. So my pain management doc sent me to get one. As I suspected, I have another ruptured disc that's pinching a nerve. Causes severe pain in my lower back, pain down my right leg, and my right leg randomly goes dead. So I finally talked to my neurosurgeon this afternoon and he gave me the bad news. I'm going to have back surgery #5.

This time though, they're fusing the vertebra. I'm so not looking forward to this. Doc said they're going to go in, take the disc completely out, take a hunk of bone, either from a cadaver, or from my hip, insert it between the vertebra, and ratchet that in place with screws and rods. Ultimately, I have no earthly idea yet how this is going to affect my guitar playing. I'm sure I'll still be able to play acoustic. I just hope I can still manage the electric. This time around though, I'm keeping my gear until after the surgery, regardless of what the doc says. Last time I went through this, a different doc did thoracic spine surgery and told me I'd never play electric again, so I sold all my gear. All that stuff that's listed in my signature, went bye-bye and to this day I still miss my gear.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear I wish I still owned:
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
Dunlop DB01 Crybaby From Hell
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
EHX Holy Grail + Stereo Memory Man
MXR Smart Gate
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Sep 30 2011, 03:38 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Sabbz @ Sep 30 2011, 03:27 AM) *
This time though, they're fusing the vertebra. I'm so not looking forward to this. Doc said they're going to go in, take the disc completely out, take a hunk of bone, either from a cadaver, or from my hip, insert it between the vertebra, and ratchet that in place with screws and rods. Ultimately, I have no earthly idea yet how this is going to affect my guitar playing. I'm sure I'll still be able to play acoustic. I just hope I can still manage the electric. This time around though, I'm keeping my gear until after the surgery, regardless of what the doc says. Last time I went through this, a different doc did thoracic spine surgery and told me I'd never play electric again, so I sold all my gear. All that stuff that's listed in my signature, went bye-bye and to this day I still miss my gear.

sorry to hear
I was wondering if the doctor told you any outcome this time around

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Sep 30 2011, 03:42 AM

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Sep 30 2011, 05:59 AM
Instructor
wow man, that's a very sad thing to hear, i hate going to the doc, i don't wanna think about a back surgery..
you gotta be really strong man, i know this isn't your first tim, you made it great thru the first ones, you will be great after this one too!

just keep a positive mind, i'm sure it will help healing up your body.

the best wishes from me!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 30 2011, 10:07 AM
Instructor
Sorry to hear about your troubles.. this sucks ! sad.gif

I think docs deliberately try to put low expectations in patient's heads so they're not dissapointed if they can't do things they couldn't before.. but that's a very defeatist and Western thing to do. They should be doing exactly the opposite. If the mind desires something, the body will follow. Within sane reason of course, but how many of us are always reading things where people say they proved the docs wrong ? 99% of the time ! Don't worry, man you'll be playing the axe as normal in no time ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 30 2011, 10:15 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Yeah, I remember how you gave up guitar and sold all your stuff last time around. Must have been a couple years ago.
Best of luck with the surgery! Keeping my fingers crossed you will recover.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 3 2011, 08:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 30 2011, 09:07 AM) *
Sorry to hear about your troubles.. this sucks ! sad.gif

I think docs deliberately try to put low expectations in patient's heads so they're not dissapointed if they can't do things they couldn't before.. but that's a very defeatist and Western thing to do. They should be doing exactly the opposite. If the mind desires something, the body will follow. Within sane reason of course, but how many of us are always reading things where people say they proved the docs wrong ? 99% of the time ! Don't worry, man you'll be playing the axe as normal in no time ! cool.gif

Ben, I know this for a certainty! My best friend's mom suffered a vascular accident and ended up half paralyzed and unable to speak (the speech center of the brain was affected) the doctors didn't give her too many chances of recovery, but she is healing quickly enough (This happened in late May and now she can walk without help, but using a cane and she can speak moderately complex phrases) the paradox is that she was a logopede - I don't know if that's the right word for it in English, but it's a job in which you help people recover from what she has right now. So now imagine that she is on the other side of the trenches...Ain't that plain silly?

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 3 2011, 09:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 3 2011, 08:09 AM) *
Ben, I know this for a certainty! My best friend's mom suffered a vascular accident and ended up half paralyzed and unable to speak (the speech center of the brain was affected) the doctors didn't give her too many chances of recovery, but she is healing quickly enough (This happened in late May and now she can walk without help, but using a cane and she can speak moderately complex phrases) the paradox is that she was a logopede - I don't know if that's the right word for it in English, but it's a job in which you help people recover from what she has right now. So now imagine that she is on the other side of the trenches...Ain't that plain silly?

Wow, well that just goes to show that people are capable of amazing things really. All we need is a strong will and a target to aim at ! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:46 PM