Guitar Recording Software
GGTopGuitarist
Aug 16 2009, 12:36 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Hey,
i've been looking into getting some recording equipment and software; does anyone here use a programm they would recomend? and i also need to find something to create a drum track with, because my kit isn't good enough to record with.. cheers guys tongue.gif

George

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jesse
Aug 16 2009, 12:43 PM
GMC:er
Reaper... for plain guitar recording, its free.
And fruityloops for everything else.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 16 2009, 01:10 PM
Instructor
Reaper is free for 30 days but that's only the recording software. I use Sonar. Great professional tool for recording midi/audio with many plugins and softh synths included. Besides I have Amplitube 2 for guitar sounds, sound card EMU-0404 and a pair of Edirol monitors. Many people here use POD UX series because it includes soundcard and guitar processor all in one. Whatever you get you'll be able to record and mix.

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Aug 16 2009, 08:34 PM

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Jesse
Aug 16 2009, 01:12 PM
Emir, I thought you used guitar rig :|

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 16 2009, 01:40 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Jesse @ Aug 16 2009, 11:43 AM) *
Reaper... for plain guitar recording, its free.

As this notion keeps being repeated by a lot of different members it needs correcting.

Reaper is NOT free, it is free to evaluate as a complete uncrippled program. If you use it on a regular basis then you need to buy a license. A single user license is about 50 USD.

Reaper however is a fully featured professional sequencer that can offer similar facilities to the other pro sequencer such as Cubase, Sonar, Logic, DP, ProTools and so on.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 16 2009, 01:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jesse @ Aug 16 2009, 01:12 PM) *
Emir, I thought you used guitar rig :|

I have it but since I got Amplitube 2 I stick to that. I think it works better smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
axes
Aug 16 2009, 03:27 PM
I use SONAR for recording, and I pretty much like it, but if it's just for plain recording, it doesn't really matter what you use imo, as long as it satisfies your needs.

As for the drums, I use both Addictive Drums and EZDrummer/Superior Drummer, they both sound great, but very different. I think I like AD's samples a little bit more, but Superior's got better (and more) loops.

This post has been edited by axes: Aug 16 2009, 03:28 PM

+Quote Post
GGTopGuitarist
Aug 16 2009, 03:37 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Thanks alot for replying guys biggrin.gif
I have a bit of money saved up so should i go for this sonar one? and which midi interface should i go for?
I'll be sure to check out those drum programmes cheers axes wink.gif

George

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 16 2009, 03:41 PM
Sonar is a good sequencer and should be fine and it has a big user base, particularly in the USA.

Do you mean midi interface or audio interface though George?

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
GGTopGuitarist
Aug 16 2009, 03:47 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 16 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Sonar is a good sequencer and should be fine and it has a big user base, particularly in the USA.

Do you mean midi interface or audio interface though George?

i think i mean midi interface mellow.gif where i plug into it and the other end goes into the computer.. I don't really know what i'm talking about smile.gif and whats's a sequencer?

cheers
George

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 16 2009, 05:17 PM
Instructor
What is your budget??

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 16 2009, 05:42 PM
QUOTE (GGTopGuitarist @ Aug 16 2009, 02:47 PM) *
i think i mean midi interface mellow.gif where i plug into it and the other end goes into the computer.. I don't really know what i'm talking about smile.gif and whats's a sequencer?

cheers
George

Last things first:

A sequencer is a software program for recording and mixing digitised audio and midi. Some people call this a DAW but that is a bit of a common misnomer - a DAW (Digital audio workstation) more accurately refers to the entire set of stuff needed to record digitally, so the audio card, the pc, the sequencer... So Sonar is a sequencer ie its a software package for recording and mixing on a pc in the digital domain smile.gif .

First things last:

Assuming you want to record the audio of instruments I think you mean audio interface smile.gif . A midi interface will only transmit/pass MIDI info from one midi source to another midi system able to read it. Midi isn't audio.

If you're talking about recording audio your pc needs a digital signal so at some point you need to change analogue audio to digital. What an audio interface will do is take an analogue audio signal (ie the audio from your guitar) and send it to your pc in a form that the pc can then process using a suitable program. Most audio interfaces will also convert a digital signal form the pc's sequencer back to analogue again.

WRT audio interfaces there are loads about and they cover a very wide price range. So as Ivan's post above what's your budget?

Also what do you intend to record and how - for instance what will you record (guitar/voice/etc), how many inputs at the same time, will you use microphones or do you want to try to connect instruments direct to the interface, etc? Lots of questions I'm afraid but it's quite a big area smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GGTopGuitarist
Aug 16 2009, 06:43 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 16 2009, 05:42 PM) *
Last things first:

A sequencer is a software program for recording and mixing digitised audio and midi. Some people call this a DAW but that is a bit of a common misnomer - a DAW (Digital audio workstation) more accurately refers to the entire set of stuff needed to record digitally, so the audio card, the pc, the sequencer... So Sonar is a sequencer ie its a software package for recording and mixing on a pc in the digital domain smile.gif .

First things last:

Assuming you want to record the audio of instruments I think you mean audio interface smile.gif . A midi interface will only transmit/pass MIDI info from one midi source to another midi system able to read it. Midi isn't audio.

If you're talking about recording audio your pc needs a digital signal so at some point you need to change analogue audio to digital. What an audio interface will do is take an analogue audio signal (ie the audio from your guitar) and send it to your pc in a form that the pc can then process using a suitable program. Most audio interfaces will also convert a digital signal form the pc's sequencer back to analogue again.

WRT audio interfaces there are loads about and they cover a very wide price range. So as Ivan's post above what's your budget?

Also what do you intend to record and how - for instance what will you record (guitar/voice/etc), how many inputs at the same time, will you use microphones or do you want to try to connect instruments direct to the interface, etc? Lots of questions I'm afraid but it's quite a big area smile.gif

Thanks for replying biggrin.gif
well i've got about £2000 altogether to spend, and i intend to try both recording stright into the interface and micing up my amp.. I will want at least 2 unbalanced and 1 XLR inputs to be used at the same time; and i will record some vox too

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 16 2009, 07:02 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Some of these DAW's will require a fast duo core computer and will take years to master!
I've ran a few demos of professional products but they always make my slow laptop even slower Ifind myself lost and drowning in features that come with the pro programs and I always ask myself if I really need that. I don't.

For someone who's not a professional, like myself, I find Reaper, Music Creator, Garageband, Sony Acid music studio and other "home editions" (maybe not so much LE versions) are more fit for computer capacity and knowledge of an amature user.

They also cost about between 1/10'th - 1/5'th of the corresponding Pro version.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 16 2009, 07:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GGTopGuitarist @ Aug 16 2009, 06:43 PM) *
well i've got about £2000 altogether to spend, and i intend to try both recording stright into the interface and micing up my amp.. I will want at least 2 unbalanced and 1 XLR inputs to be used at the same time; and i will record some vox too

For that money you can have almost a professional studio smile.gif

Sound card
Computer
Software
Microphone
Monitors
etc...

You can have computer for £600, sound card for £200, all software for £300, monitors for £300, microphone for £100, all the cables and other things for £100... I really can't think of anything else unless you're making a new "Abbey Road" smile.gif You don't even need to spend that much.

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Aug 16 2009, 07:09 PM

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 16 2009, 08:19 PM
2000UK would get you off to a good start for a good home studio but it's an expensive business. We just paid a large amount of cash for a 2 channel Lavry Blue AD/DA for our studio here for mastering work (cost nearly 2000UK) as we're just about to develop a mastering studio.

Assuming that you already have a reasonable pc then you will need an audio card/monitors/sequencer plus extras such as sound proofing, cables and so on. (And assuming you don't want to buy any more mics, software etc... )

1) Sonar should cost you about 300UK and I'd suggest trying to balance most of the remaining money more or less equally in the remaining two, So 1700UK split - say 700UK each with the remaining 300UK left for sound proofing, cables and any other stuff.

Interface - something like a Motu travellerIII or an RME fireface. (Check the specs first though just to make sure they do match your needs).

Speakers - lots of choice Adam A7s, several from Genelec and also Mackie 636.

Also Steinberg were running recently in the UK a promotion that bundled Cubase5 (instead of Sonar) with their MR816 interface which may be worth a look. You'd still need monitors though.

2) If you need a new pc then about 1000 on the pc and split the remainder as above. So say 500 split between audio card and monitors, 300 for Sonar and the remaining 200 on cables etc.

Interface - Lexicon I-Onix or lambda, M-audio fast track ultra, tascam 144 or 1641. (Same as before check the specs.)

speakers - KRK rockit, esi Near05, Behringer Truth, maudio bx5

IF you get everything from the same shop they will often do you a deal btw.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 16 2009, 09:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GGTopGuitarist @ Aug 16 2009, 07:43 PM) *

£2000 is plenty man, you can buy a small semi pro home studio for that kind of money, and still leave some cash in the reserve. However, since you have this kind of budget, the first thing would be not to be carried away. Think hard before you get anything. Answer these couple of simple questions bellow and I'll give you more precise recommendations:

1. What kind of production will you be doing in your future home studio? (video, audio, etc)
2. What music gear do you own already? (model of amp, processors, etc)
3. What is your PC configuration? (CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD, monitor)
4. Do you have any racks/outboard gear already? (rack reverbs, processors etc)
5. What speakers do you use? (model)

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 16 2009, 09:22 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 16 2009, 09:53 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I'd recommend Cubase as DAW, and Guitar Rig 3 or Amplitube 2 for guitar simulation smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:53 AM