2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ibanez Or Custom?
toho
Sep 16 2008, 07:26 PM
GMC:er
Hi there.
Im thinking of getting a new guitar, but I find it hard to choose... I have about 2000euros give or take (roughly 2800$) to spend. I am a fan of Ibanez kind of guitars, so Im wondering if I should go for an existing Ibanez or just try to go custom? I play mostly glam rock/rock/hard rock and sometimes some metal, and I kinda like EMGs, but I am sure there are other options that EMG for this style. Do you have any tips for me? Also, it would be awesome to get a flying V instead of the normal RG shape... Any comments on this?

EDIT: BTW, if you are linking guitars from stores, I am in love with red guitars xD

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by toho: Sep 16 2008, 07:29 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 16 2008, 07:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
Ibanez is currently not building high end flying V shaped guitars, only mid and low range flying Vs. You could either get a high end Ibanez like a Jem,Egen, J-Custom Rg... or you could look into other brands. 2000 Euros is not enough money for a custom built guitar from the bigger Companies but it is enough for a Custom by private luthiers (like Mirza who built Muris' Guitar).

These guitars might be worth a look for you:
http://www.thomann.de/de/esp_nv_std_bks.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/esp_nv_std_sw.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/gibson_shred_x_eb_explorer.htm

The esps are handbuilt ESP guitars from Japan with EMG pickups and a Kahler Tremolo. I've played one and it's worth the money because they are very well crafted. The Gibson Explorer model will be released as a Flying V version with the same specs in two month and it might also be worth a look.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
toho
Sep 16 2008, 07:38 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Sep 16 2008, 08:34 PM) *
Ibanez is currently not building high end flying V shaped guitars, only mid and low range flying Vs. You could either get a high end Ibanez like a Jem,Egen, J-Custom Rg... or you could look into other brands. 2000 Euros is not enough money for a custom built guitar from the bigger Companies but it is enough for a Custom by private luthiers (like Mirza who built Muris' Guitar).

These guitars might be worth a look for you:
http://www.thomann.de/de/esp_nv_std_bks.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/esp_nv_std_sw.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/gibson_shred_x_eb_explorer.htm

The esps are handbuilt ESP guitars from Japan with EMG pickups and a Kahler Tremolo. I've played one and it's worth the money because they are very well crafted. The Gibson Explorer model will be released as a Flying V version with the same specs in two month and it might also be worth a look.

They seems nice, thanks for the tip! Does Mirza have a webpage or something like that?

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 16 2008, 07:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
Ask Muris for his Email adress as Mirza does not have a page of his own by now...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Sep 16 2008, 08:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I would ABSOLUTELY get one of Mirza's customs like Muris' if I had that much money to spend! I would love to follow it's creation step by step with all the components exactly how I want them.

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Gus
Sep 16 2008, 09:36 PM
QUOTE (toho @ Sep 16 2008, 08:26 PM) *
EDIT: BTW, if you are linking guitars from stores, I am in love with red guitars xD

Man, check out this topic. I posted a long review there.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry259275

I know you preferred non RG shaped, but man trust me. This guitar is really beatuiful (and is nice tone of red)

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Sep 17 2008, 12:45 PM
Instructor
For 2000 euro I sure would check out some Ernie Ball Music Man. Some basic PRS or used too. Esp make great guitars, Schecter too. If you want a custom guitar, check out as many guitar as you can, this way you'll have some great ideas on how Mirza will have to build you guitar!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
2mazzo
Sep 17 2008, 12:55 PM
For a custom guitar, check this one out!
http://www.ranguitars.com

--------------------
Guitars: ESP M-I/FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Ibanez AEF37E Acoustic
Kimbara Classical

Amp: Kustom Quad 100DFX 100watt 2x12" Combo

Gear: Line6 Pod XT Live with all model packs

Midi controller: M-Audio Ozone

Software: RiffWorks, Cubase SX, Cubase Sequel and Guitar Pro 5.

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Sep 17 2008, 02:23 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (2mazzo @ Sep 17 2008, 07:55 AM) *
For a custom guitar, check this one out!
http://www.ranguitars.com

Man...some of those were SWEET!!!!!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
toho
Sep 17 2008, 09:07 PM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Sep 17 2008, 03:23 PM) *
Man...some of those were SWEET!!!!!

Yeah I agree, they seem awesome! But they are very expensive... About 2500 euro i think my specc went for. Ofcouse you can get a bit cheaper but then you might aswell skip if you dont get the parts you want. By the way, with jumbo frets, do they men longer distance between the frets then?

+Quote Post
Alex Lewis
Sep 17 2008, 09:51 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Try the dave mustaine live wire pickups they are active and can do metal really well but they also have great rock and clean tones! almost bought them myself but have run low on cash

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 18 2008, 12:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (toho @ Sep 17 2008, 10:07 PM) *
By the way, with jumbo frets, do they men longer distance between the frets then?

Jumbo frets are higher frets,while space between frets stays the same. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Sep 18 2008, 01:48 AM
I say the JEM, great guitar. other than that, try an ESP, or a les paul, then put emgs on that

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
toho
Sep 18 2008, 06:47 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Sep 18 2008, 01:18 AM) *
Jumbo frets are higher frets,while space between frets stays the same. smile.gif

If I want the most easy-played setup, what would you prefer then? Since english aint my first language its sometimes hard to translate what some of the options available mean...

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 21 2008, 10:55 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
In my opinion "custom" guitars have a kind of myth to them that they do not neccessarily deserve. In my times as an ESP endorser all my guitars were custom made, special wood here, different neck there, pickups, finish, the whole thing, and of course they were great guitars. But always keep in mind that all this custom work costs... and normally it costs a lot. So you should ask yourself how much you really want to pay for your guitar and if certain custom things are really worth that much money. If you find a regular model from Ibanez (or whoever else) that feels perfect for you, why mess around with it then? I woke up from my "custom mania" when I bought my first Les Paul, a normal custom (lol, no, there was no custom work on the guitar, I am talking about the Les Paul Custom wink.gif ) and it immediately became my fave guitar, it still is today, there was just no need to mess around with anything. Don't get me wrong, I am not condamning custom made instruments, not at all, after all I had more than enough myself, you should just think about what you really want and really need before you order such a guitar.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Sep 21 2008, 11:08 PM
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

I don't even know what I would do if I had that much money, but I might consider getting a white Ibanez JEM. Lots of instructors use it, and it is certainly a nice looking guitar, though I have never had the fortune to try one myself.

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 22 2008, 09:13 PM
Instructor
custom guitars are always beter IMHO wink.gif

+Quote Post
Capt.Z
Sep 22 2008, 09:15 PM
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Sep 22 2008, 04:13 PM) *

OOHH!! OOHH!! Is yours done yet? I can't wait to see it!!

It's lovely... wub.gif

--------------------

GMC IS TIGHT DAWG

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 24 2008, 06:05 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Sep 22 2008, 10:13 PM) *

I thought so too, until I was convinced that this is not true wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 24 2008, 11:17 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I would definitly go with a factory/stock guitar...Customs appeal cool and they can be very good (sometimes better)...But than again, you are taking a big risk there because you never know what you gonna get..And manufactures like Fender, Gibson , Ibanez etc didn't get their reputation for nothing...I just don't see a lot of Luthers out there matching that kind of quality and excellence (there are good ones but they are rare)...So to avoid unnecessary risks, you should go to stores etc and try out as many instruments as you like until you find the one you want...After that you can modify it a little..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:31 PM