How To Learn Major/minor Scale?
thijsmans
Feb 10 2009, 06:29 PM
GMC:er
hi gmc smile.gif

i have learned the the minor pentatonic scale,
and now im ready for the next scale challenge... the major and minor scale, (is this the best decision, to learn after pentatonic)

i noticed that the minor and the major pentatonic scale are basicly the same, but the box positions are different.
i you combine those 2 shapes, do you get the major or minor scale?

and, does anyone have tips on how to practise and use those scales?
like, when du you use the minor and when the major (pentatonic) scale ?

thanks alot smile.gif

thijs,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Feb 10 2009, 06:51 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (thijsmans @ Feb 10 2009, 06:29 PM) *
hi gmc smile.gif

and now im ready for the next scale challenge... the major and minor scale, (is this the best decision, to learn after pentatonic)

i noticed that the minor and the major pentatonic scale are basicly the same, but the box positions are different.

thanks alot smile.gif

thijs,

would it be too much to blatantly promote my new lesson here??? laugh.gif
Mastering The Major Scale

if you dont know it already, maybe you should try the major pentatonic.. the "boxes" are the same as the minor but the root is changed..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Feb 10 2009, 07:01 PM
Instructor
If you start major scale from the 6th note you will get relative minor scale. C major = A minor etc...

Major scale you can use over a major chord and minor over a minor chord. That's the simplest example. When you learn the basics then you can move to modes.

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Feb 10 2009, 07:02 PM

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
coloneldrew
Feb 10 2009, 08:37 PM
First thing I would teach you, is to play it on one string. That way you understand the intervals between the notes a lot better. Start at a root note, then distance the notes as such. Major: W-W-H-W-W-W-H = Minor: W-H-W-W-H-W-W

In a practical sense: in the key of G major.

E---3---5---7---8---10---12---14---15---
G A B C D E F# G

G Minor:

E---3---5---6---8---10---11---13---15---
G A Bb C D Eb F G

This formula will work on any string and the next step is to apply it into boxed positions like in Zion's lesson. I recommend only doing one position for each scale to start with (preferably a position that starts and ends with the root note) which will make it easier for you to move to modes later on.

+Quote Post
thijsmans
Feb 10 2009, 11:41 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 10 2009, 07:01 PM) *
If you start major scale from the 6th note you will get relative minor scale. C major = A minor etc...

Major scale you can use over a major chord and minor over a minor chord. That's the simplest example. When you learn the basics then you can move to modes.

so specifiec modes shall suit specifick backing tracks/styles?
can u give some examples of styles that goes with modes? smile.gif
i shall also learn the David Walliman modes lesson series, so that i can see wich modes fits my style smile.gif

the way i was tought about scales is that when you have a radom chord progression like: G, C, E or something,
that the first chords defines the root note. so in this case it is in G major, so the major G scale will fit?
hope you understand it, please correct me if im wrong wink.gif

thanks Emir!

at -Zion-, thank you smile.gif i will check it out tommorow biggrin.gif
ow, and colonel, i'll defeitly use that aproach!

i'm amazed by GMC, everybody is soo helpful ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Feb 11 2009, 12:01 AM
Jazz Instructor
You can do several things. Start from 1st fret, minor pentatonics lets say, then start from 2nd fret, then from 3rd, go up the neck, and go back. Or, you can play the same scale up-down the neck. F minor pentatonic, for example. Start from first fret(F), then start from the 2nd degree(G#) and change position, then from 3rd degree(cool.gif, and so on. Move your hand up the neck, similar as in previous case, though here you play the same scale and learn different positions.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Feb 11 2009, 12:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (thijsmans @ Feb 10 2009, 10:41 PM) *
so specifiec modes shall suit specifick backing tracks/styles?
can u give some examples of styles that goes with modes? smile.gif
i shall also learn the David Walliman modes lesson series, so that i can see wich modes fits my style smile.gif

the way i was tought about scales is that when you have a radom chord progression like: G, C, E or something,
that the first chords defines the root note. so in this case it is in G major, so the major G scale will fit?
hope you understand it, please correct me if im wrong wink.gif

thanks Emir!

It's not about the style. It's about the chord progression. Any possible chord you play has a mode that goes with that chord. You have to start from the begining to understand it properly. For example the most common progression is II, V, I. If your song is in the key of C That would be Dm7, G7, Cmaj7. You can play Dorian, Myxolidian and Ionian over these three chords. This is a very simple example of how modes work. My suggestion is that you learn major/minor pentatonic scales first and then move to modes. I also have a lesson called "Modal Solo" you can read the text. You mentioned David's lessons, he has some very useful stuff about modes. Check also Andrew's theory board on this forum. You should also learn all intervals. That's very important for the scale/chord construction. After you know all this then you can use it in any style of music.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 11 2009, 01:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (thijsmans @ Feb 10 2009, 06:29 PM) *
hi gmc smile.gif

thanks alot smile.gif

thijs,

I think you can start learning the major and minor scale, but it would be better to learn first the major scale over the whole neck. This is enough, because in that pattern you have all the other modes as well.

If you combine major and minor pentatonic scales, you get something that resembles to a dorian mode with a major third and a blue note added. Works great for blues, and blues is about mixing them properly.

I would advise that you run through 3 note per string patterns. THere are 7 positions, and here's a cool exercise lesson to help you go through them. Then try to connect them all in one big pattern over the neck, and you will have your scale.

About using the minor and major scale, this is a bit wide and complicated question. In general you can use them anywhere, but in time you will through experience see where they fit the most. Major scale goes well over the major type chord, specially major7 chord, and minor scale goes well over the minor type chord. When you play or improvise you generally don't use the "whole scale", but use couple of notes from that one, and couple of notes from that one. Also, in order to really use the scales properly you have to know the relationship between the basic 7 modes and their chords.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Feb 11 2009, 02:09 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Never thought I'd say this but you can check out my SI Lesson as well!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=23991

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:52 PM