Rammsting, ...now with extra chunks of Rammfire..mmm!
OzRob
Sep 5 2010, 11:40 AM
GMC:er

Whipped this up to give Rammfire a go. More on that in another thread here. Still have to optimise the Boss GT-10 limiter on the input signal to get the most out of this great plugin.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Sep 5 2010, 01:00 PM
Jazz Instructor
Man, you're so prolific, each day a new song! smile.gif
Well done, I can see some action scene in the background!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
OzRob
Sep 5 2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks Vasilije. :-)

I'm averaging about 2-3 good tracks a week, but I do want to build up to about 4-5. Working overtime right now as I have an open door for submitting to a film trailer music library. If production music interests you, I'll send you a PM with a bit more info. Production music is all the stuff you hear on film/trailers/tv/ads/video games.

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Sep 6 2010, 12:29 PM
Jazz Instructor
2-3 per week? Hm, seems that I had some misconceptions about creating music smile.gif

+Quote Post
OzRob
Sep 6 2010, 12:56 PM
What do you mean? smile.gif

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Sep 7 2010, 12:13 PM
Jazz Instructor
I mean, your really fast.
By that rate you could publish 1CDpermonth! smile.gif

+Quote Post
OzRob
Sep 8 2010, 02:12 AM
Production music is a very different beast to being a recording artist. A band will make a CD and then tour for a year or whatever. So the income comes from sales of singles and the album plus concert profits plus merchandising (T-shirts, keyrings, etc). A production musician works differently by building a catalogue of songs which are farmed out to clients/libraries/music supervisors and the income is derived from upfront placement (or sync) fees and backend royalites from broadcast. It can easily take 2-3 years from the creation of a track to seeing any revenue from it. It's a cumulative game - keep building the catalogue, get it into libraries that work for you and that don't leave your tracks on a 'shelf' to gather dust, and over time the passive income slowly builds up. The rule of thumb seems to be about 300-350 tracks working for you, to reach the point of making a decent living off production music.

This is the wisdom I've gleaned from talking to successful career composers. smile.gif

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 8 2010, 07:05 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (OzRob @ Sep 8 2010, 03:12 AM) *
Production music is a very different beast to being a recording artist. A band will make a CD and then tour for a year or whatever. So the income comes from sales of singles and the album plus concert profits plus merchandising (T-shirts, keyrings, etc). A production musician works differently by building a catalogue of songs which are farmed out to clients/libraries/music supervisors and the income is derived from upfront placement (or sync) fees and backend royalites from broadcast. It can easily take 2-3 years from the creation of a track to seeing any revenue from it. It's a cumulative game - keep building the catalogue, get it into libraries that work for you and that don't leave your tracks on a 'shelf' to gather dust, and over time the passive income slowly builds up. The rule of thumb seems to be about 300-350 tracks working for you, to reach the point of making a decent living off production music.

This is the wisdom I've gleaned from talking to successful career composers. smile.gif

How did you get into this? smile.gif
I've talked about wanting to do this kind of thing, but never really took the necessary steps..

I've got a project coming up though, but I've got so many tunes that could fit this kind of thing smile.gif

+Quote Post
OzRob
Sep 8 2010, 10:35 AM
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Sep 8 2010, 04:05 PM) *
How did you get into this? smile.gif
I've talked about wanting to do this kind of thing, but never really took the necessary steps..

I've got a project coming up though, but I've got so many tunes that could fit this kind of thing smile.gif

One day I was listening to TV and really started to listen and wondered where all the music comes from. I thought I could create stuff just as good as a lot of it. (Lol! armchair expertise!)

I spent dozens of hours researching the industry on the net, then started writing tracks and submitting them to opportunities be it direct to clients (ad agencies, music supervisors, etc) via listings on music job sites or to libraries. I also started building relationships with career composers and found some avenues to improve my writing and production skills. I've spent a small fortune building my virtual instrument collection so it's going to be some time before I cover costs, but that's the same with any business or gigging band.

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Sep 8 2010, 12:01 PM
Jazz Instructor
I didn't know that. So you can make, let's say, 100 tracks, and then somehow "rent" them to industry people, and get monthly percentage. This really makes sense as business opportunity.

I read this cool interview with top game music composer Tommy Tallarico, he says game industry is the key:
link

+Quote Post
OzRob
Sep 8 2010, 12:37 PM
Yes, game music composing would be great to achieve. How cool to be blasting away in a FPS and hear your music rocking the level. laugh.gif

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Sep 8 2010, 08:11 PM
Jazz Instructor
Yeah, that' very different musical experience, different from film music, everything....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 29 2010, 03:58 AM
I"m digging the RAMFIRE presets in Guitar Rig 4, actually I"m digging quite a few of the presets. The RAMFIRE will work in the free player which is great.

Guitar Rig Free Version With Amps/Effects
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/pro...r-rig-4-player/

The Full version of Guitar Rig is pretty freaking sweet as well. I"ve posted some samples in various threads including one I saw you posting in about GTR4 VS some other modeler. The Native Instruments stuff has come a long way in terms of guitar sounds. Worlds better than gtr3 imho.

I recently got the KOMPLETE collection and WOW, talk about virtual instrument city. 90 Gig of Samples, more virtual instruments than you can shake a stik at, and gtr4 with ramfire as a bonus. I've got to say I think it's worth the price. I"m starting to do soundtrack/scoring work so it's going to come in handy.

There is a FREE VERSION of Reactor with 3 Free Virtual Instruments

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/pro...aktor-5-player/

I've been using SAMPLE TANK which I also dig. They had a promo to get 8 virtual instrument sets for the price of one which was great and I used that on my first movie project.

Great to find someone else on GMC who does virtual instruments and composing and what not smile.gif

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 29 2010, 04:03 AM

+Quote Post
OzRob
Sep 29 2010, 04:35 AM
Hi Todd,

I'd be interested to hear more about your scoring projects, out of interest. I've just been accepted into a second trailer music library which is what I'm focusing on at the moment. Film scoring and game music are down-the-road goals for the time being.

I bought Komplete 6 and Kore 2 at a great package price about 5-6mths ago and I was sure at the time that the ongoing sales meant new product was due, and sure enough out comes Komplete 7! The upgrade is nicely priced though, so at some point I'll get it. But I HAD to get Rammfire straight away. Lol. laugh.gif

Fairly recently I added the EWQL complete composer's collection to my toolbox and today I've just downloaded Sample Logic's newest product, "Cinematic Guitars" which is just brilliant. Just installed it, can't wait to get using it. http://www.samplelogic.com/cinematicguitars.html

Cheers,

Rob.

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 29 2010, 06:03 AM
QUOTE (OzRob @ Sep 28 2010, 11:35 PM) *
Hi Todd,
I'd be interested to hear more about your scoring projects, out of interest. I.
Rob.

Hey smile.gif Sure, I just completed my first work on a feature that was shot in Brazil. I had to agree to an NDA so I can't mention the working title but it's a small indie film that takes place in the Brazilian Jungle. I was one of several musicians contributing on the score. My work consisted of tracking clean guitar parts and then using LOGIC and GARAGE BAND to create/shape the guitar tone in to something distorted and packed with FX. The software FX were important so that delay and such could be manipulated during the mixdown. So all tracks were recorded sans fx.

The director is friend of mine which is how I came to work on the film. I got to collaborate with a buddy of mine who is a producer as well. He did some accoustic work on the show. I've got to say I loved the entire experience. Composing for picture is just a blast. I am looking forward to the next project.

I"m also interested in doing production music like you are doing. I'f you'd be up for collaborating on something for one of your existing publishers please let me know smile.gif

Also, here is a link to all the FREE versions of the current KOMPLETE bundle. These are not demos but full players. Each has a limited amount of features and functionality but each will give you an idea of what the new full version will be like.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/pro...lete-7-players/

Todd

+Quote Post
OzRob
Sep 30 2010, 05:09 AM
Hey Todd,

Your film project sounds fun and good luck in the future with that contact. I know a lot of composers/artists have built great portfolios by working with up-and-coming directors. It would be a blast and the experience invaluable. smile.gif

Those Komplete players - the updates on the retail products are free for current users so I already have them but thanks for thinking of me! Actually, I went and had a thorough look through the K7 content and I think Reflektor is the only additional product I want out of it, seeing as I already have Rammfire.

I would love to do some collaborative projects down the track. I have a backlog at the moment though, so I'll say it will probably be awhile yet before I have the time but that would be cool. Collaborating with different strengths can produce great results.

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 30 2010, 01:27 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great track man! You are building a great sounding library. I really hope your music will be used in some TV/Movie projects in the future.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
OzRob
Sep 30 2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks Bogdan! I appreciate that.

Actually, I've cleaned this track up a lot since this vid was first posted. I'll have to update it some time.

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:38 PM