Guitar Polishing, Whats good for Les Paul nitro finish?
John72
Sep 14 2011, 03:41 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi all, I'm new here, but this is an old problem for me. Hopefully someone has had the problem and can offer a solution!

I have a black Les Paul Studio. Whenever I play for an hour or so, the back of the neck gets a little sticky. Also, the fingerprints (or smudges) actually feel raised, and are very hard to wipe off with a microfiber cloth. Also, the same happens where my forearm of my picking hand rests on the guitar. Its almost impossible to clean and make it like new again, and its only a few years old.

I've read that not all cleaners and polishes are good for nitro finishes, so that worries me a little. But, I really like playing that guitar, but usually pick up another guitat that doesn't have the same problem.

Anyone familiar with that issue? Or is it just me??

Thanks for any suggestions!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 14 2011, 07:10 PM
Instructor
Hmm, does this happens on this guitar only?

I've seen couple of guitar players with just more acid in their sweat, which is perfectly natural, but just makes strings and finish wear out and oxidize faster.

Anyway, it this is not your problem, perhaps it's just the usual grease adding up. Try to wipe the guitar with a damp wet cloth every time you put it back to stand. Don't use dry cloth, just dump it slightly in plain water.

Not sure about polishers tho, never used them. I always found water cloth work good with any guitar I took in my hands.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
John72
Sep 14 2011, 09:23 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 14 2011, 06:10 PM) *
Hmm, does this happens on this guitar only?

Yep. Only on this guitar. My other guitars have unfinished necks. Although, I've had guitars with other finishes (poly, I think) on the neck and didn't have any issues. And my forearm doesn't leave any mess on the other guitars. Any sweat cleans off pretty easily. That's why I'm thinking it's got something to do with the nitro finish.

I'll give the damp cloth idea a try, though. That might be the secret!

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 14 2011, 09:44 PM
Instructor
For polishing I use Dunlop Formula 65 Polish and Cleaner,but only for lacquered parts, for a fingerboard try Fingerboard cleaner..

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/formula-n...polish--cleaner

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Sep 14 2011, 11:08 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
For nitro finishes, don't use any polish that contains silicon. There are special polishes and cleaners just for nitro finishes. This is just one available at StewMac.com Look around and see what else you can find there, I'm sure you'll find something that suits your needs.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
John72
Sep 15 2011, 02:44 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks a lot for the tips. I tried a little water on a cloth, but it feels "waxy", and seems to repel the water. I'm going to order some of that polish and see how that works.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I'm really liking the site so far. There's a lot here to stay inspired and motivated. And lots of new styles and things to experiment with. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:27 AM