Floating Bridge Design Assignment, Any comments on why you like them or dislike them?
Sircraigery
Mar 29 2008, 04:38 AM
GMC:er
Hey all,

I'm doing an assignment for one of my engineering classes, and thought this would be a good place to do some research (with thousands of users of the product).

Basically I have to critique the design of an existing product, and I chose a Floyd Rose type tremolo system.

We also have to come up with a similar existing product, or design an alternative. In this case I think I'm going to talk about the Edge Pro system on my Ibanez for this.

Only I'm not too sure why they are different. I'm 99% sure that it has to do with the knife edges on the Edge Pro, and the Floyd Rose doesn't have sharp edges. Therefore...the extra metal-metal contact creates more resistance from the strings sitting back to where they came from. As where the Edge Pro has little resistance due to sharp edges on the posts....meaning the strings more easily return to their "home" position.

Is this correct? Also, if you have any other ideas/comments about what you likeor dislike about each, let me know. I'm all ears.

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 29 2008, 09:02 AM
I'm pretty sure the Edge Pro is licensed off Floyd Rose patents, I think Kahler vs Floyd Rose would probably be better, as they are quite different. They both have lots of info on their sites, I would hit their sites if I were you.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 29 2008, 05:12 PM
QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Mar 29 2008, 09:02 AM) *
I'm pretty sure the Edge Pro is licensed off Floyd Rose patents, I think Kahler vs Floyd Rose would probably be better, as they are quite different. They both have lots of info on their sites, I would hit their sites if I were you.

Yeah ok thanks man. I've never heard of Kahler before

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post
Bali
Mar 29 2008, 05:19 PM
check the Ibanez 'S' models

they have this funny model with rollers instead of metal edges

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Mar 29 2008, 07:48 PM
The main difference between the OFR and the EP is that the the EP has a lower profile and is more ergonomical.

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Mar 29 2008, 07:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Mar 29 2008, 08:58 PM
how about the wilkinson ones? they got a design where they sit on two posts but the rest is like a strat thingie

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Mar 29 2008, 09:05 PM
If you do Kahler vs Floyd then this video should be very useful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 29 2008, 09:46 PM
QUOTE (Moon Boots @ Mar 29 2008, 09:05 PM) *
If you do Kahler vs Floyd then this video should be very useful.

Yeah man, thanks a bunch

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Apr 1 2008, 06:36 PM
Instructor
Hi. I have an edge pro and all I can say is that is better than original floyd ant others brands.
Also if you like check this:
http://www.alecb.com/eng/products.html

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:06 PM