Couple Questions About Various Bands And Music, Dream Theater, Opeth, and Jazz
shellshock1911
Jan 7 2008, 04:39 AM
GMC:er
Question 1: Ok first of all, am I the only one that just can't get into Dream Theater? Everyone else loves them, but I just can't stand the vocals, they sound like a Geddy Lee ripoff which I'm not a big fan of him in the first place. They try to make their songs so complex that I just don't feel that entire songs are connected and united by one idea or theme. Like they are like "Ooh lets make a weird feeling, so we have 2/4, then 7/4, then 5/4, oh and then 11/4!" Stuff like that. I heard about how what a great band they were so I checked them out on Youtube, didn't like too much, but people insisted that they are really good. So I bought Images and Words, and still I the only song I like on the whole album is Under a Glass Moon, the rest are just annoying and seem to just ramble on and on and on, it's like they can't just get the song done so they make them like 12 and even 24 minutes sometimes. They have way too many acoustic interludes. If the intro to a song is acoustic then I'm most likely going to change it something that is more aggressive and gets my attention. I paid for a progressive metal album, not acoustic. I know acoustics play a role in progressive, but they do it wayyyy too much. Finally, everyone talks about how John Petrucci is like this guitar god, I seriously don't see what makes him so good. All the melodies sound the exact same, his playing doesn't sound too unique to me, maybe I just haven't listened to enough. It isn't that I don't like progressive metal, because I absolutely love Symphony X. Their vocals are 50x better IMO, songs are structured and are connected together, and I love Michael Romeo's guitar playing. Way more unique to me, he uses all kinds of weird scales, a lot of extended chord arpeggios, WAY cooler riffs, and a lot of cool sweeping and tapping licks (Smoke and Mirrors, Sea of Lies, etc.)

Question 2: I looked at a picture of Opeth and I notice they have 5 members. Ok so I check their Wikipedia profile and it says that they have a keyboardist. What? I just got one of their albums and I can assure you there are absolutely no keyboards on the whole thing, yet they have a keyboardist, don't get it. Is it like ...And Justice for All where Metallica edited out all the bass because they didn't like Newstead or something?

Question 3: Ok I was watching I jazz tune by John Coltrane on youtube. Yes the melody is really and sax solo was really awesome but I was watching the chord changes and there is a new chord every 0.0002 seconds no kidding, I mean do they really change that fast, and not even hold on to one sound for more then 0.0002? The video was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kotK9FNEYU

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:29 AM