3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Edguy's November Mtp Thread, Weekly assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Nov 10 2009, 04:10 PM
Instructor
Roman welcome to your November thread.

We have to cover 4 weekly assignments and one REC submission in this month. Since 10 days have passed in this month, we will have to squeeze in 2 assignments in one week in order to finish everything!

Here are your first two assignments for November! Deadline for these is 14th of November.

Assignment 1 :

- Record Cycle 4 and 5 for Melodic minor scale.
- Tempo of your choice and do it one octave ascending and descending.

Assignment 2 :

- Theory and Harmony test, complete answers to 10 questions bellow :

1) C is V in what major scale?
2) If G is I what is III ?
3) If A min is III what is V?
4) If F is IV what is I?
5) If E diminished is VII what is I?
6) If D is V what is II ?
7) If B diminished is VII what is III?
8) If C min is III what is II?
9) If D min is VI what is V?
10) If G min is II what is I?

If you are unsure what the answers are to those questions, please read my post from the link bellow!

- LINK

Let me know if you have any extra questions, I will be happy to respond to them.

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
edguy
Nov 11 2009, 05:24 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Pedja ,

thanks for the 2 new assignment. I think it should be no problem for me to get it down till saturday.

One question i have is: I want to try to figure out Cycle 4 and 5 of Melodic Minor scale by myself. But what is the starting point (root note) you started the other examples with A.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 11 2009, 05:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Nov 11 2009, 05:24 PM) *
Hey Pedja ,

thanks for the 2 new assignment. I think it should be no problem for me to get it down till saturday.

One question i have is: I want to try to figure out Cycle 4 and 5 of Melodic Minor scale by myself. But what is the starting point (root note) you started the other examples with A.

Good question Roman!

You should always start with A for minor scales since its related to C major which has no sharps and flats. So the idea is to start with no accidentals and then as you go along every next scale has one extra sign. Hope that makes sense smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Nov 11 2009, 05:39 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 11 2009, 05:36 PM) *
Good question Roman!

You should always start with A for minor scales since its related to C major which has no sharps and flats. So the idea is to start with no accidentals and then as you go along every next scale has one extra sign. Hope that makes sense smile.gif

Yeah that makes totally sense. So tomorrow i will post 2 gp files with my solutions for cycle 4 and 5. if i get your ok i will record them asap.

cheers Roman

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 11 2009, 07:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Nov 11 2009, 05:39 PM) *
Yeah that makes totally sense. So tomorrow i will post 2 gp files with my solutions for cycle 4 and 5. if i get your ok i will record them asap.

cheers Roman

No problem Roman, look forward to it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Nov 12 2009, 01:06 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Pedja,

i need some help biggrin.gif

Cycle4 : The formular of Melodic Minor sclae is: I II bIII IV V VI VII VIII

I start with A:

The notes are: A B C D E F# G# A

now go up a perfect 4th it should be D right?

To find out the flat i have to go up a perfect 4th again from D to get the flat right???

So i get the notes: D E F Gb A A# C D

Is this correct or completly wrong tongue.gif ?

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 12 2009, 01:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Nov 12 2009, 01:06 PM) *
Hey Pedja,

i need some help biggrin.gif

Cycle4 : The formular of Melodic Minor sclae is: I II bIII IV V VI VII VIII

I start with A:

The notes are: A B C D E F# G# A

now go up a perfect 4th it should be D right?

To find out the flat i have to go up a perfect 4th again from D to get the flat right???

So i get the notes: D E F Gb A A# C D

Is this correct or completly wrong tongue.gif ?

Hi Roman,

You got the formula right but the notes are wrong. Also remember that you can't have two same notes with different accidentals.

So A melodic minor is : A B C D E F# G# A
Then we move onto D melodic minor which is : D E F G A B C# D!

Just remember the roman numeral formula I II bIII IV V VI VII VIII
That should help you create the scales!

G melodic minor?

G A Bb C D E F# G

So as you see there will be scales where you have both sharps and flats just like G melodic minor. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Nov 12 2009, 01:44 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 12 2009, 01:37 PM) *
Hi Roman,

You got the formula right but the notes are wrong. Also remember that you can't have two same notes with different accidentals.

So A melodic minor is : A B C D E F# G# A
Then we move onto D melodic minor which is : D E F G A B C# D!

Just remember the roman numeral formula I II bIII IV V VI VII VIII
That should help you create the scales!

G melodic minor?

G A Bb C D E F# G

So as you see there will be scales where you have both sharps and flats just like G melodic minor. wink.gif

Ah ok i think i get it now. But one thing confuses me. I thought cycle 4 is a tool to determine the flats of a key. And when i start with A i thought D has one flat in it. But in your example there is no flat.

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 12 2009, 02:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Nov 12 2009, 01:44 PM) *
Ah ok i think i get it now. But one thing confuses me. I thought cycle 4 is a tool to determine the flats of a key. And when i start with A i thought D has one flat in it. But in your example there is no flat.

That applies only for Major scales and Natural minor scales. As you saw harmonic minor has sharps in it where there should be flats wink.gif

The problem lies in guitar pro because when you use fretboard to type in notes it gives you enharmonic spellings !

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Nov 12 2009, 02:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Nov 12 2009, 04:12 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Pedja,

lets see if i got this right biggrin.gif

here is the gp file for Cycle4:

Attached File  Cycle_4_Melodic_Minor.gp5 ( 2.92K ) Number of downloads: 101

and here we have Cycle 5:

Attached File  Cycle_5_Melodic_minor.gp5 ( 2.92K ) Number of downloads: 113

Edit: added cycle 5

This post has been edited by edguy: Nov 12 2009, 04:52 PM

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 12 2009, 06:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Nov 12 2009, 04:12 PM) *
Hey Pedja,

lets see if i got this right biggrin.gif

here is the gp file for Cycle4:

Attached File  Cycle_4_Melodic_Minor.gp5 ( 2.92K ) Number of downloads: 101

and here we have Cycle 5:

Attached File  Cycle_5_Melodic_minor.gp5 ( 2.92K ) Number of downloads: 113

Edit: added cycle 5

All is fantastic except Cycle 5 A minor ! You did harmonic instead of melodic (F instead of F# note)

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Nov 12 2009, 06:59 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 12 2009, 06:27 PM) *
All is fantastic except Cycle 5 A minor ! You did harmonic instead of melodic (F instead of F# note)

Hey Pedja,

it's fixed now on my computer. I will record the videos tomorrow and i try to answer the questions today so i will finish this 2 assignments in time biggrin.gif

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 12 2009, 07:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Nov 12 2009, 06:59 PM) *
Hey Pedja,

it's fixed now on my computer. I will record the videos tomorrow and i try to answer the questions today so i will finish this 2 assignments in time biggrin.gif

That would be fantastic Roman. Look forward to it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Nov 12 2009, 08:12 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 10 2009, 04:10 PM) *
Assignment 2 :

- Theory and Harmony test, complete answers to 10 questions bellow :

1) C is V in what major scale?
2) If G is I what is III ?
3) If A min is III what is V?
4) If F is IV what is I?
5) If E diminished is VII what is I?
6) If D is V what is II ?
7) If B diminished is VII what is III?
8) If C min is III what is II?
9) If D min is VI what is V?
10) If G min is II what is I?

Hey Pedja, here are my answers:

1) It's F Major scale
2) It's B Minor
3) It's C Major
4) It's C Major
5) It's F Major
6) It's A Minor
7) It's D Minor
8) It's A# Minor
9) It's E Major
10) It's F Major

Hope this is correct.

cheers Roman

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 13 2009, 02:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Nov 12 2009, 08:12 PM) *
Hey Pedja, here are my answers:

1) It's F Major scale
2) It's B Minor
3) It's C Major
4) It's C Major
5) It's F Major
6) It's A Minor
7) It's D Minor
8) It's A# Minor
9) It's E Major
10) It's F Major

Hope this is correct.

cheers Roman

Roman questions number 7,8 and 9 are not correct. Read them again and try to do them. I will help you with number 8.

If C minor is III what is II?

Think of letter names? What comes before C letter ? Is it G ? NO. A? NO. So the answer is B something. Now you have to figure out if its regular B or b or # and type of chord that lies on II scale degree in major scale.

Let me know if you need any help !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 14 2009, 12:33 PM
Instructor
By the way Roman I can't post your next assignment before you finish the ones you have left!

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Nov 14 2009, 12:47 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Pedja,

yes i know this biggrin.gif The videos are recorded and i have to sync it now to the mp3 files biggrin.gif Then i will upload it.
when i start to upload the vids i will try to correct the 3 questions.

cheers Roman

Edut: typo

This post has been edited by edguy: Nov 14 2009, 12:49 PM

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 14 2009, 12:52 PM
Instructor
Great Roman, look forward to videos and 3 answers so we can move on with new assignments smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Nov 14 2009, 01:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Pedja,

I am uploading the video right now.

So here i will continue with the theory questions. Let's take Question 8 as an example.

You said it must be something around B. When it is B the second note in the scale is an C#. So it can't be the B
What confuses me is that i found no possibility where C is on III in major scale. When I look at Bb and want to find out the Major 3rd i have to count 4 semitones from Bb right?? So i land on D. So my conclusion is it can't be Bb either.

So i think i need a little help here biggrin.gif

cheers Roman

Roman questions number 7,8 and 9 are not correct. Read them again and try to do them. I will help you with number 8.

If C minor is III what is II?

Think of letter names? What comes before C letter ? Is it G ? NO. A? NO. So the answer is B something. Now you have to figure out if its regular B or b or # and type of chord that lies on II scale degree in major scale.

Let me know if you need any help !

Hey Pedja,

here is video Number 1 :

I am uploading the second video right now, but in 20 minutes i have to go to an swim contest biggrin.gif:D

So when it's not ready till then i will post in 3 hours.

Ahh and i find out that question Number 7 is wrong because it must be E minor.

At C major scale B diminshed is on VII and on III is E so it must be E minor

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 14 2009, 01:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Nov 14 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Hey Pedja,

I am uploading the video right now.

So here i will continue with the theory questions. Let's take Question 8 as an example.

You said it must be something around B. When it is B the second note in the scale is an C#. So it can't be the B
What confuses me is that i found no possibility where C is on III in major scale. When I look at Bb and want to find out the Major 3rd i have to count 4 semitones from Bb right?? So i land on D. So my conclusion is it can't be Bb either.

So i think i need a little help here biggrin.gif

cheers Roman

Ok Roman lets work this out.

Lets say we have any major scale right? The purpose of major scale as it has 7 different letter names and notes. It is impossible to have G# and G or G and Gb or G# and Gb in the same scale. Same goes for any other letter name. We simply can't repeat same letters twice unless its an octave (root of the scale where we start and end the scale).

Now lets look at C major scale

C D E F G A B C
Its all the different letter names right?
The distance between the notes is W W H W W W H step correct? C to D whole step, D to E whole step, E to F half step, F to G whole step, G to A whole step, A to B whole step and B to C is half step!
C is I, D is II , E is III, F is IV , G is V , A is VI , B is VII and C is VIII. Those are our scale degrees.
In my theory and harmony board I harmonized the scale and explained why the chords appear on what scale degree and what is their function. In short we have Major chords on scale degree I IV and V, minor II III VI and VII diminished. 4 part chords are Maj7th on I and IV , Dom7 on V , Min7th on II III and VI and Min7b5 on VII.

Now back to the original question. If C min is III what is II ?
What is the distance between II and III scale degree? Look at the original C major scale and tell me what is the distance between E and D notes backwards ? You should work your way around with C minor as III bringing us down to what II?

Let me know if this helps.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:03 AM