2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Best Solo Ever?, I think it could be.....
bmh1109
Sep 4 2008, 12:06 AM
GMC:er
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGbDQkxg3SU

I know that everyone knows, Petrucci is really good at guitar, but this improvised solo during Lines in the Sand, is just unbelievable. It has all the best elements to guitar, including an awesome talkbox solo. Definitely my favorite solo of all time.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Fender MIM Strat
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 4 2008, 12:13 AM
Instructor
smile.gif I wouldn't say it's the best ever, but definitely this guy can play. Great solo

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 4 2008, 01:13 AM
Learning Roadie
Clearly, the best solo ever is Tornado of Souls. Plus, it was improvised as well smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Sep 4 2008, 01:42 AM
too hard to say... but id have to say one of the best solos ever with the most feeling in it is comfortably numb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkJNyQfAprY

just an awesome solo... it seems to talk to you

both of the solos in comfortably numb are great... but the second one is just awesome

4:30 is where it starts in this youtube clip

the second solo just blows me away...

just close your eyes and listen to that second solo

--------------------

+Quote Post
Starry Manhattan...
Sep 4 2008, 01:45 AM
Interesting topic, but very subjective.

Thanks for posting the link for the Lines In The Sand talk box solo! It's good, and different for John, but still not as good as this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5t_b9xOY-I...feature=related. We'll see in a week or so how good the version is on the Chaos In Motion World Tour DVD.

Other great solos by Petrucci:

Hollow Years (Budokan Verison): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsRatZykj8M

Trial Of Tears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk7juplOA0w

There are plenty more like Octavarium: Razor's Edge, Another Day: Live In Tokyo and on the CHaos In Motion DVD there will be Forsaken, and In The Presence of Enemies Pt 1 (first solo). Both are awesome solos.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Sep 4 2008, 02:57 AM
i agree it is solely my opinion about that being the best, i must have 30-40 videos favorited on youtube of random guitar solos. Im just kinda fixated on that one at the moment as I was learning that solo and when i found that one it kinda blew me away. blink.gif

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Fender MIM Strat
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation

+Quote Post
VinceG
Sep 4 2008, 03:20 AM
found it boring.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
ace_frehely
Sep 4 2008, 03:45 AM
really good..but this is my favorite...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRiOfo690j0
and guess who recorded it wink.gif

This post has been edited by ace_frehely: Sep 4 2008, 03:47 AM

--------------------
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/guitar4ace.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">guitar4ace.</iframe><iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/major%20nelson.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">guitar4ace.</iframe

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Sep 4 2008, 09:30 AM
Instructor
Nice one from Petrucci. i like so much the solo in Take Away My Pain cause is so short and intense, magic!
I agree with Outlaw2112...Comfortably numb is probably the best solo ever in my opinion, as I think the best instrumental song is Local hero from Mark Knopfler, it simply kill me every time I listen to!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Sep 4 2008, 04:15 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
QUOTE (VinceG @ Sep 3 2008, 10:20 PM) *
found it boring.

I also found this boring, John can def. play but I
don't think this was his best performance

My pick would be David Gilmour on the track "Dogs"
I am sure not many would agree but that's my fav.
.........different strokes for different folks biggrin.gif

this was the only track of Animals that Gilmour was credited on
Attached File  dogs_solo.mp3 ( 1.08MB ) Number of downloads: 235

This post has been edited by Henry Dietzel: Sep 4 2008, 04:27 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
jdriver
Sep 4 2008, 05:36 PM
There are several Gilmour/Floyd solos I can think of as outstanding, especially live versions, but for "greatest solo"/instrumental, in my opinion, is Stevie Ray Vaughn's version of Little Wing.

A solo should serve the song, not be an end in itself.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Sep 4 2008, 05:44 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
QUOTE (jdriver @ Sep 4 2008, 12:36 PM) *
A solo should serve the song, not be an end in itself.

Well put jdriver
great choice 'little wing' SRV-a killer solo! wink.gif

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Tsarpf
Sep 4 2008, 06:10 PM
In my opinion the best is Octavarium's ending solo... And I have to listen to the whole thingy first.. otherwise I would "overuse" it, and it's somehow better that way tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 4 2008, 07:02 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I wouldn't know which solo is the best, but this one was definitely good!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Sep 4 2008, 07:18 PM
Mostly it varies between different Marcus Lavendell solos all after what mood I am in actually. Lately I've been thinking alot about the one in Enlightened Death, I just love the whole tone scale lick in there biggrin.gif

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
Gus
Sep 4 2008, 09:46 PM
As "best" is subjective when comes to music, I'd just say this petrucci solo is great.

My favorite solo , however, is November rain.

But well, there are so many I love that I not name a best one(comfortably numb , heartbreaker and one -metallica - for instance)

One that I discovered very recently and is just amazing is "the longest day" from firewind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqnEQkHw4fs

This post has been edited by Gus: Sep 4 2008, 09:46 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Alex Lewis
Sep 4 2008, 10:50 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Burning angel off wages of sin is my personal fave not very flashy but i can hum it all the way through fantastic!,

I would agree with comfortably numb and tornado of souls being in there to!

some other faves.... heartbreaker led zeppelin, dry county bon jovi, and skynyrd freebird

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Sep 7 2008, 03:02 PM
Instructor
The funny keyboard solo from Opeth's "The Lotus Eater"! tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Canis
Sep 7 2008, 09:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
I gotta say I think this is one of the best solos ever. Atleast it is in my head ^^
I never get tired of listening to it smile.gif

This post has been edited by Canis: Sep 7 2008, 09:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jesse
Sep 8 2008, 07:14 AM
I thinks tevie ray vaughan..

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:47 PM