My Amp Is Acting Up
dcz702
Jun 11 2014, 08:56 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
so im playing right now through my mesa boogie mini rec. and every couple minutes i hear the volume cut very fast like a quik blip. very noticable, im hopeing this is a simple fix like the tubes are bad? is that whats causing it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Seriphroth
Jun 11 2014, 01:05 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 11 2014, 07:56 AM) *
so im playing right now through my mesa boogie mini rec. and every couple minutes i hear the volume cut very fast like a quik blip. very noticable, im hopeing this is a simple fix like the tubes are bad? is that whats causing it?

I have a line 6 spider valve and when the powee amp valves start to go my volume fluctuates every few minutes so i would say its time for a tube change and if you have never changed tubes make sure u get the power amp tubes rebiased.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 11 2014, 01:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Seriphroth @ Jun 11 2014, 01:05 PM) *
I have a line 6 spider valve and when the powee amp valves start to go my volume fluctuates every few minutes so i would say its time for a tube change and if you have never changed tubes make sure u get the power amp tubes rebiased.

+1

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 11 2014, 08:29 PM
GMC:er
I would also suggest not trying to replace tubes on your own based on internet tutorials.

Evidently an amp can hold enough of a charge, even when unplugged, to kill someone.

But yes - your problem sounds exactly like a tube issue. I was told that with very moderate playing your tubes probably need changing every 2 to 3 years. If you're gigging and running them hot with practice and on weekends, you're lucky to make it a year.

Mine started with a scratchy loss of volume, then the volume would come back normal. This went on until one day I heard a big scratch and then there was no sound whatsoever. So there were 8 tubes in all (4 big and 4 small) replaced, diodes and rebiased. It didn't cost that much either, like $140 or $160 I think - I was very pleased with the outcome - made it sound brand new and the funny thing is that I didn't realize I was losing tone until I heard it with new tubes, the loss is gradual.

This post has been edited by Spock: Jun 11 2014, 08:30 PM

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 12 2014, 04:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks guys.
I thought would be tubes.
The mini rectifier is a fixed bias design, states that in some forums.
So that means I can swap out the tubes as long as they are the same?
And don't know how to tell wich tubes are out.
Maybe I should call mesa tech support and get instruction. Never had to do this before.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:47 PM