My Band Experiences
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 4 2020, 03:04 PM
Instructor
Hello friends! Here I'll start sharing experiences and answering your questions regarding all the things that involve having band, choosing the right bandmates, finding your style, composing, arranging, recording, getting gigs, touring, promotion and everything else! (As we've talked HERE)

If these thread is welcome, I'll continue this series. So feel free to add more answers here, and also to share your own experiences based on the topics covered.

As I already have some specific questions about my new band, this first thread will be based on answering these ones.

1. What's it like to re-group? What's going to stay the same? What's going to be different? (Klasaine)

Cirse broke up because our singer decided to go solo (simpler version of the story). It was a very hard moment for us (the rest of the band) since we were living one of the best moments in our careers. We'd just done the biggest tour and the plans where to reach USA by the end of 2019.
At first, we decided to take a break in order think what to do next. After some weeks, my brother (bassist), Tato (Drummer) and me had a meeting just to have a nice time. The cool thing was that all our friends said us to continue with Cirse. After some thinking and some other meetings, we decided to search for a singer and re-group.
There are many advantages of re-grouping and continuing together. The first one that we noted is that it has a great impact in our followers. They love the fact that we are still making music together, and we also love it as we have a really nice friendship.

What's going to stay the same? Each of us has a strong point. Our drummed is great with public relations, my brother is very involved in production, and I enjoy composition, production, and social networks. By the way, at least during this first year, we are all involved in everything.

Attached Image

What's going to be different? In Cirse, I was the main composer. I've composed music and melody for all the songs, and I was also the only involved in production. Now we are working more like a team with this things.

2. how you got the gig with Metallica and Duran Duran? (Phil66)

There is a question first, "how you got the gig with Paramore". In 2010, we released "Imaginario", our second album and there was a famous band (formed after us) that was sounding in a similar style. We were very underground, but Paramore was one of the most popular bands worldwide. One day we found our that Paramore was coming to Buenos Aires. It was our opportunity to show our music to many potential fans.

Our manager (at that time) searched for the producer that was bringing them to our country and visit them. At the same time, we asked our most loyal followers to do some kind of crackdown in Facebook. They created a group called "We want Cirse opening for Paramore". And suddenly this group was full of people!
When the producer heard our band and found out the group, he thought that we were the best option for that.

Opening for Paramore backstage

The show was a success and we started a nice relationship with this producer. That same company organized lots of shows and festivals here, and as we had a good experience (also people loved the band and we did the biggest jump in our careers), we ended playing with Metallica, Duran Duran, Incubus, Avril Lavigne and many others thanks to them.

Attached Image

3. Have the Cirse fans automatically become Ramen fans? Has there been any negativity from Cirse fans comparing the singers? Have you any different goals for Ramen, than you had for Cirse? (Posterboy)

Have the Cirse fans automatically become Ramen fans? Fortunately the band has been really well received. It's tricky to start with a new name, but I can say that it couldn't be better. As I've said before, our fans loved the fact that we are still together making music.

Attached Image
(notice that the flower appearing there is "CIRSE" flower)

Has there been any negativity from Cirse fans comparing the singers? I haven't seen any negative comparison. Both are very different and this was something that people valued a lot. We didn't try to find a copy, it's a totally different type of singer, with different voice, attitude and image.

Have you any different goals for Ramen, than you had for Cirse? We are living a different world (and even more with Covid!). The main goal is to try to make great things that we are proud of, without rushing. We are also thinking on making less shows but with better quality, and focus more on going outside our country.
One of the things that we decided is to try to make music that sounds modern, fresh, new... We didn't want to do the same old thing. This means that we are experimenting with synths, electronic drums, other type of guitar sounds, rhythms and melodies. The idea is to create a new identity, a new sound for us. That's the main goal now... we are just starting the journey, but if you compare Cirse with Ramen, you'll see that everything is different, but we keep the essence.

RAMEN: https://youtu.be/8r6bgOyHUuI
CIRSE: https://youtu.be/jx8nnTEEQg0

------------------------------

Listen to RAMEN: https://open.spotify.com/artist/5jWacEhguFl...NTcG6vE4M42x2bQ

------------------------------

What about you? Do you have experiences re-grouping a band? Have you ever opened for a most popular band? Let's learn more experiences about this!
And also, feel free to add more questions for future thread! smile.gif

I hope that you enjoy this post! Have a nice week.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Aug 5 2020, 04:26 AM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 4 2020, 07:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Very interesting Gab, thank you, looking forward to the next instalment wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 4 2020, 10:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 4 2020, 03:19 PM) *
Very interesting Gab, thank you, looking forward to the next instalment wink.gif

Thanks Phil! This one was based on more specific questions about my band. In the next ones I'll cover more general stuff.

I'm curious, do you have any band experience or would you like to have it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 5 2020, 07:30 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Gab,

No I don't have any band experience, when I was young I used to want to take on the world as a singer or guitarist in a band cool.gif but as I got older I always thought that if ever I had the skills (which obviously isn't going to happen), I would rather be a session musician. I'm not one for the limelight so being a session musician sounds like a good thing but obviously you need to be able to adapt very quickly.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 5 2020, 04:59 PM
Instructor
Being a session guitarist is a nice goal! Yes, you need to adapt to any situation, and have a good balance of this elements: groove, taste and tone. That's the key.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 11 2020, 07:27 PM
GMC:er
Great insights Gab.
Besides guitar playing you have a talent for relating your experiences.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 12 2020, 01:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 11 2020, 03:27 PM) *
Great insights Gab.
Besides guitar playing you have a talent for relating your experiences.

Really? Thanks mate! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2020, 01:55 AM
I'd agree! Have you thought about maybe writing a book based on your experiences? It could be very useful for folks just getting in to music and bands etc. CIRSE had to navigate things during the time of the massive explosion of social media while the entire music businessss changed. You guys managed to thrive and it's a great story. If not a book, then maybe a music documentary with an eye towards imparting the wisdom of the lessons learned? You could break the video up in to chapters tightly focused on a given topic, e.g. starting a band, navigating social media, the importance of relationships (like the story of how you went from paramore to durran/metallica). J

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 12 2020, 08:33 AM) *
Really? Thanks mate! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 5 2020, 03:28 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 4 2020, 03:04 PM) *
What about you? Do you have experiences re-grouping a band? Have you ever opened for a most popular band? Let's learn more experiences about this!
And also, feel free to add more questions for future thread! smile.gif

I hope that you enjoy this post! Have a nice week.

One of the main bands I was in had been through 20+ members since it's start. I joined and it then all settled down for a long time I'm not saying that it was down to me, it's just the way things went. We all (5 of us) got on really well with similar interests, senses of humour and outlook on life in general as well as working well together as musicians.
We had a lot of contacts within the Industry through our own individual sources so getting Gigs was never a problem. We were very quickly a regular feature in some of the best local venues, one in particular, playing several 'Sold Out' shows. We sold it out on our own once on a 4 Band Line-up and we weren't even the Headline act!! We were also playing all over the Country on the University circuit playing in a lot of Student Union Bars and Venues close by. We supported quite a few Bands that went on to become successful including Suede, Placebo, Garbage, Pulp to name a few. We also regularly played in Battle of the Band shows, mainly in London but a few elsewhere too, small Festivals and Biker events and even a couple of Weddings for friends!!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2020, 10:57 PM
Instructor
Wou mate! Those are amazing experiences! Sold out shows, supporting bands like Placebo, Garbage! Amazing stuff.

Now I'm very curious... is there any music online? biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:34 PM