Some Guy Goes Postal In Colorado, Always in CO it seems.
Todd Simpson
Jul 20 2012, 04:05 PM
GMC:er
From the state that brought us the Columbine Tragedy, another nut job has lost it and shot folks in a movie theatre.

This happens here from time to time and it makes us all sad and sick. Some jerk gets all his guns together, loses his mind and kills everyone he can aim at. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 20 2012, 04:08 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Very true and very sad Todd not least as the news here are reporting that young children were hit in the shooting.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jul 20 2012, 04:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
It's sickening to believe that this could happen anymore.

Prayers to the victims and their families.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 20 2012, 06:07 PM
Instructor
This was truly horrible.

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Jul 20 2012, 07:09 PM
Tone Seeker
Latest news say that he had planted explosives at his house. Good that police found those out before explosion. Maybe he was trying suicide but failed. Crazy huh ?!

This post has been edited by WeePee: Jul 20 2012, 08:02 PM

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 20 2012, 11:16 PM
Instructor
Yeah i saw news today,madness!! Another secret lunatic got his 5 minutes

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jul 21 2012, 12:07 AM
So far the news said that he shot 71 people. Its pretty crazy in the states sometimes. He even used Tear Gas just before the shooting dry.gif

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 21 2012, 03:10 AM
Learning Roadie
Sad News, Thoughts are with the families of the fallen... Isn't this another example of ridiculous Gun Laws in the US? Nothing will change though...

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 21 2012, 10:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jul 21 2012, 03:10 AM) *
Isn't this another example of ridiculous Gun Laws in the US? Nothing will change though...

Nah, I don't think the law has any bearing on it if a man is that far gone that he's decided to shoot innocent people. His life had built up to the moment where he developed the intent to kill regardless of any laws. It's peoples intent that is the real danger.

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 21 2012, 11:45 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 21 <a class=) *
Nah, I don't think the law has any bearing on it if a man is that far gone that he's decided to shoot innocent people. His life had built up to the moment where he developed the intent to kill regardless of any laws. It's peoples intent that is the real danger.

Valid Point Indeed Mate. But I still can't help thinking that if access to these weapons was alot harder, there may be less Fatalities.

But It doesn't help so many innocent people who lost their lives. Life is Precious. RIP

This post has been edited by JaxN4: Jul 21 2012, 11:50 AM

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 21 2012, 01:05 PM
GMC:er
So far the news as listed AR-15 assault rifle, a Remington 870 12-gauge shotgun, and a 40-caliber glock handgun, as the guns used in the evening and one 40-caliber glock was in the car also. Guns were bought in a Colorado store months before this, and the ammo was bought off the internet.

No word on getting into his apartment yet either.

I have no idea how people could do that, just a bunch of innocent people in a room trapped.

The US is full of crazy crap this week. Few days ago some band that opened up for Jeff Loomis beat the sound guy with a bat, threw chairs around the room hitting people, and was squirting lighter fluid everywhere...

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 21 2012, 01:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jul 21 2012, 11:45 AM) *
Valid Point Indeed Mate. But I still can't help thinking that if access to these weapons was alot harder, there may be less Fatalities.

I think you're right too. I guess there's many contributing factors in things like this. I do agree that it shouldn't be so easy to get such weapons.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 21 2012, 04:37 PM
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jul 20 2012, 10:10 PM) *
Sad News, Thoughts are with the families of the fallen... Isn't this another example of ridiculous Gun Laws in the US? Nothing will change though...

Suicide bomb vests are illegal in Iraq, yet that has not stopped religious extremists from blowing themselves up in crowded markets. In Mexico, most guns are illegal, yet that has not stopped any of the gang violence. Strict gun laws didn't stop the shootings in Norway or the school shootings in Germany. Laws are only effective for people that respect them.

Also, isn't KILLING illegal?

There is a reason why these things happen in the US. There is something wrong with our culture and our society. Its really hard to pin it down to one or a few things, but everyone that lives or has lived in the US will know what I'm talking about. I'm going to attempt explain just a part of it with some broad generalizations.

The US is a dog-eat-dog world, and in someways, it seems like the wild west is still alive. Everybody is out to get their own. Also, because this is a highly individualist society, the sense of community isn't what it is in other countries. People become societal rejects for a variety of different reasons.

The culture in the US is very materialistic, and status is based on having things that really don't reflect on ones inner qualities. We HAVE to have a nice car, we have to be pretty, we have to be lean and ripped, and men have to have sex with as many women as possible. This is what the media constantly bombards us with every day. If you're lacking in any of these areas you're considered a loser.

In the US we breed attention whores and the mentality of self importance. In school, awards are given to all students that compete in a competition, even the kids that didn't win. Garbage men must now be called "sanitation technicians" because associating garbage men with garbage is too demeaning. All credit cards are now "platinum," because nobody wants to be seen with anything less. Reality TV can give anybody 15 minutes of fame.

So, what does this have to do with mass shootings? In almost every case, mass shootings are carried out by loners; guys that have no friends and a relatively small family network. Society has rejected these people for numerous reasons, but also conditioned them to be selfish. Plus, how can a person value human life when he or she has been conditioned to judge other people based on their material acquisitions? These guys are taking revenge on society, because they feel society has wronged them. But they are a product of society. Society has created these monsters.

We need to start valuing humans for their human qualities, such as love, compassion, and kindness. This is what makes humans human. Money and material possessions come and go, but what really matters is how caring we are for each other. The real value of a person is not whats in their wallet, but whats in their mind and whats in their heart.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jul 21 2012, 10:35 PM
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jul 21 2012, 03:37 PM) *
Suicide bomb vests are illegal in Iraq, yet that has not stopped religious extremists from blowing themselves up in crowded markets. In Mexico, most guns are illegal, yet that has not stopped any of the gang violence. Strict gun laws didn't stop the shootings in Norway or the school shootings in Germany. Laws are only effective for people that respect them.

There is a reason why these things happen in the US. There is something wrong with our culture and our society. Its really hard to pin it down to one or a few things, but everyone that lives or has lived in the US will know what I'm talking about. I'm going to attempt explain just a part of it with some broad generalizations.

The US is a dog-eat-dog world, and in someways, it seems like the wild west is still alive. Everybody is out to get their own. Also, because this is a highly individualist society, the sense of community isn't what it is in other countries. People become societal rejects for a variety of different reasons.

The culture in the US is very materialistic, and status is based on having things that really don't reflect on ones inner qualities. We HAVE to have a nice car, we have to be pretty, we have to be lean and ripped, and men have to have sex with as many women as possible. This is what the media constantly bombards us with every day. If you're lacking in any of these areas you're considered a loser.

In the US we breed attention whores and the mentality of self importance. In school, awards are given to all students that compete in a competition, even the kids that didn't win. Garbage men must now be called "sanitation technicians" because associating garbage men with garbage is too demeaning. All credit cards are now "platinum," because nobody wants to be seen with anything less. Reality TV can give anybody 15 minutes of fame.

So, what does this have to do with mass shootings? In almost every case, mass shootings are carried out by loners; guys that have no friends and a relatively small family network. Society has rejected these people for numerous reasons, but also conditioned them to be selfish. Plus, how can a person value human life when he or she has been conditioned to judge other people based on their material acquisitions? These guys are taking revenge on society, because they feel society has wronged them. But they are a product of society. Society has created these monsters.

We need to start valuing humans for their human qualities, such as love, compassion, and kindness. This is what makes humans human. Money and material possessions come and go, but what really matters is how caring we are for each other. The real value of a person is not whats in their wallet, but whats in their mind and whats in their heart.

+1

That pretty much sums up the mentality everywhere I have lived in the USA. Granted, I have only lived in the Western US(with the exception of Eastern Canada), but it is what it is.

I can say that living in Ontario, Canada was very different, and a bit of an eye opener. After having grown up in Los Angeles and having to fight kids a lot to get by, I came to the conclusion that the USA might be the only developed country that is this inhospitable.

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fires!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 22 2012, 12:56 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jul 21 2012, 04:37 PM) *

just a note, you did mention it happening in other places, so it is not just the U. S., I agree with you and would like to add, the drug and violent culture in music, kids grow up idolizing these things http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/07/fl...rt-store-video/

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 22 2012, 09:23 AM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 21 2012, 07:56 PM) *
just a note, you did mention it happening in other places, so it is not just the U. S., I agree with you and would like to add, the drug and violent culture in music, kids grow up idolizing these things http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/07/fl...rt-store-video/

It does happen in other countries, but usually its for political and/or religious reasons. Every now and then you do see loners and societal rejects lash out at society in other westernized countries, but not nearly at the same rate it happens in the US. Every country and society has its unique problems, and this is one of ours.

I think its important to distinguish between the different types of violent music. There is fantasy violence, like Manowar and Cannibal Corpse, and then there is the music that glorifies real life violence and thuggery, like all the different variations of Gangsta rap.

I don't know about you, but I've never seen anyone listen to Manowar then be inspired to pick up a sword and slay a dragon, although that would be pretty freakin' cool if it did happen laugh.gif I also don't think I've ever heard of anyone sacrifice a virgin with a sharpened goat horn after listening to Cannibal Corpse. The vast majority of young people know these lyrics are dumb and comical, and thats if you can even understand the death metal songs.

Gangsta rap, on the other hand, glorifies the thug lifestyle. Its real, its obtainable, and many people in poverty stricken areas can relate to it at some level. What cracks me up (and also annoys the hell out of me) is when these kids dress like a thug, walk like a thug, and talk like a thug, but then get upset when they get treated like a thug mad.gif If I dressed like a rockstar, talked like a rockstar, and walked like a rockstar, I want to get treated like a rockstar! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Jul 21 2012, 05:35 PM) *
+1

That pretty much sums up the mentality everywhere I have lived in the USA. Granted, I have only lived in the Western US(with the exception of Eastern Canada), but it is what it is.

I can say that living in Ontario, Canada was very different, and a bit of an eye opener. After having grown up in Los Angeles and having to fight kids a lot to get by, I came to the conclusion that the USA might be the only developed country that is this inhospitable.

You should visit some of the New England states like Vermont and New Hampshire, people up there are pretty nice. There is virtually no violent crime in those states, even though they have some of the most liberal gun laws in the country. In Vermont you don't need a permit to carry, and you can even be packing in a bar. They're also the least religious states in the country, go figure. I would consider living there but the winters suck and I'm just too much of a city slicker tongue.gif

My home state of Massachusetts however, is filled to the brim with what we affectionately call Massholes haha laugh.gif If you want to see some real freaks and geeks check out my hometown of Worcester. Dennis Leary is from Worcester, and he's a pretty good representation of what people up there are like ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jan 11 2013, 02:43 PM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 22 2012, 10:50 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jul 22 <a class=) *
Suicide bomb vests are illegal in Iraq, yet that has not stopped religious extremists from blowing themselves up in crowded markets. In Mexico, most guns are illegal, yet that has not stopped any of the gang violence. Strict gun laws didn't stop the shootings in Norway or the <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">school</a> shootings in Germany. Laws are only effective for people that respect them.

The culture in the US is <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">very</a> materialistic, and status is based on having things that really don't reflect on ones inner qualities. We HAVE to have a nice car, we have to be pretty, we have to be lean and ripped, and men have to have sex with as many women as possible. This is what the media constantly bombards us with every day. If you're lacking in any of these areas you're considered a loser.

In the US we breed attention whores and the mentality of self importance. In school, awards are given to all students that compete in a competition, even the kids that didn't win. Garbage men must now be called "sanitation technicians" because associating garbage men with garbage is too demeaning. All <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">credit</a> cards are now "platinum," because nobody wants to be seen with anything less. Reality TV can give anybody 15 minutes of fame.

Yes all valid points indeed. And the US does seem to be in their own world.

But do we really need to sell automatic weapons, assault rifles in a local store? That's all I'm saying

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jul 22 2012, 11:23 AM
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jul 22 2012, 09:50 AM) *
Yes all valid points indeed. And the US does seem to be in their own world.

But do we really need to sell automatic weapons, assault rifles in a local store? That's all I'm saying

I don't think so. I prefer Bolt action rifles and semi-automatic weapons. I feel as if they require more skill. Plus, they make drive by shootings much harder.

However, you can actually convert some(if not all) semi-automatic weapons into automatic weapons fairly easily. The information and how to guides are all over the internet if you know where to look, so I don't think it will matter whether or not they are sold in shops.

However, on a much more humorous note(maybe only for those of us in the states):

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fires!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 22 2012, 12:25 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
There is the argument too that if someone had a gun in theater it wouldnt have gone on as it did. If someone had a concealed weapons permit and was able to take the gunman down.

I will probably have a concealed permit at some time or another, it's almost completely logical to me. My father-in-law has a .45 on him at all times when he leaves the house.

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jul 22 2012, 01:21 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 22 2012, 11:25 AM) *
My father-in-law has a .45 on him at all times when he leaves the house.

1911? P220?

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fires!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:42 AM