My First Reaper Recording!
Moonchild
Jun 30 2009, 10:06 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

got my Pod Xt yesterday and now it was finally the time to record my first few takes with it! smile.gif

I took the backing track from this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...c-metal-rhythm/ and just tryed my best... biggrin.gif

For recording I kept things really simple. Just an amp and little reverb so the sound isnt the best but I really have to find out how to get the best from this little thing!

but so much I can say: Really amazing what you can do with this gear in such a short time!

would be nice if you can post your suggestions what I can optimize, on my playing and on the sound. Every tip is welcome!

greetings...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Metal_Rhythm_Basics.mp3 ( 1.71MB ) Number of downloads: 402

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jun 30 2009, 10:13 PM
Learning Roadie
Record the guitar track at least twice and pan them in opposite directions. Your playing sounds fine to me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Moonchild
Jun 30 2009, 10:18 PM
Hey thanks for the reply will try this out! Hope to get more suggestions on how to get the sound hmm... just BIGGER biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jun 30 2009, 10:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Recording multiple guitar tracks is the first and easiest step to achieve a bigger guitar sound, but you should also try to find a more suitable preset on your PodXT, because a good sounding source is the basis.
I don't own this device but I am sure you can enhance the sound by tweaking the preset a little bit.
After you recorded two guitar tracks(one panned 100% one pannend 100% right) you can add additional effects the tracks to achieve a fatter sound. First thing you should work on is equalizing. Reaper has an build in eq plugin, but there are a lot of free vst eqs who sound great.
Next importanted effect is a compressor. If you have more than 2 guitar tracks I recommend to create a master guitar track. On this track you can add a compressor. It will "glue" your tracks together.
Adding some small reverb also will enhance your guitar sound.
If you are looking for some small and free effects to start with I can recommend this bundle:
http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/download.php
Under Free Plugins you will find an eq, a compressor and a reverb effect.
If you have trouble installing them or setting them up probably feel free to ask.

+Quote Post
FilipofCroatia
Jun 30 2009, 10:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
I have my pod gx in the post and i already have reaper smile.gif

Cant wait

+Quote Post
skennington
Jun 30 2009, 10:55 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Lot's can be done with the Pod man. Here's a link to check out some of the members patches..

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=10174

Also, I would suggest you save all that you like in a new folder within Gearbox or Pod Farm, whichever you are using.

Also, Just to add, multiple tracks do make a huge difference. smile.gif I have several FX chains saved in Reaper for different situations, it's a good idea to play around and get use to those as well.

Your playing is good man! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 1 2009, 07:54 PM
Instructor
As Skalde recommended recording two separate tracks of the same guitar line and panning them left and right will get your guitar sound bigger, specially with powerchord riffing. The amount of overdrive you used is just about enough, but I would advise to somehow make your low end a bit more tighter and focused, it's a bit loose. Possibly kill the reverb here, or add a touch of reverb on only one channel, but keep the reverb out of the bass range, use the reverb EQ to lighten it up a bit.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Moonchild
Jul 1 2009, 11:38 PM
Hey guys just wanna say thanks for the recommendations, really appreciate it!
Hope I´ll get the time to try it all out soon!

greetings...

+Quote Post
Moonchild
Jul 7 2009, 12:10 AM
Hi I just finished my new version of the tune.
Now I played as you recommend (thanks for that!) one more guitar and pan it in opposite directions. Also I read somewhere that cutting 250 Hz reduces the "MUD" in the mix. I tryed it out out and it seem to work.

Attached File  Metal_Rhythm_Basics___remastered.mp3 ( 1.71MB ) Number of downloads: 215

Hope it sounds a little better...I´m just at the beginning of this recording journey wink.gif
And sometimes my ears seem to get a bit weird after some time of trying to get the sound better wacko.gif

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 7 2009, 02:41 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Did you play another take? No need to to do that unless you want to. Just right click anywhere in the track and copy it. Then, double left click to open a new track and pate a copy. Pan them as desired. Make sure you have the Snap "disabled" so you can move the trcks freely.

Also, to see some different EQ settings you can play with, click the FX button on the first track. ( I recommend doing this before you copy and paste) Choose VST: REAEQ (Cockos), once this window opens, click preset toward the top. You will see a whole list of pre-loaded settingd including a mud free setting which sounds rather nice to my ears. smile.gif

Anyway, I think this recording sounds better but tbh, will we ever be comepletely satisfied.. laugh.gif Keep at it man!

Cheers,
Steve

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jul 7 2009, 12:04 PM
Learning Roadie
I think it is a good idea to play the take twice. It will not sound exactly the same, but that is what makes the sound heavier andr richer when combined with the first track.
Your second mixing attempt sounds better, but it still does not sound very metal. It needs more bass.
Exscpially the palm muted parts are low, they have to kick you the moon.
I think it is your preset. What you can try is to put a tubescramer at first in the reaper fx chain. You don't have to buy the pedal. Here is a free(and awesome!) vst version.
http://www.bteaudio.com/articles/TSS/TSS.html
It should enhance your dry track, when it is now routed to your Pod distortion units it will result in a much better distortion.
What I can say it is not your playing which sounds bad, it is solid but could need a little more attack.

+Quote Post
Moonchild
Jul 7 2009, 12:40 PM
Hey thanks!

Yes I played the track one more time with another setting, thought it might help...

I think I have to play with this presets from the forum you recommend. Hopefully I find something satisfying.
And I was searching for this presets in the eq but somehow cant find them but now I got it.

Btw hopefully I can post my first lead recording in the next time - really great help you get here!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:10 AM