> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Rids Thread, for Gab’s Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 9 2019, 02:21 PM
Instructor
Hello Rids! This is your thread to share your videos and receive feedback.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rids
Jun 9 2019, 07:00 PM
GMC:er
Awesome! Thanks my friend!

So here we go :

- the first video is an instrumental I made for my fifth wedding anniversary last week

- the 2nd one is the first solo I made for the collab to show you my picking "skills"

- and the third one I made two days ago to show how I play more legato with a little sweep added there

I like melodies, mostly instrumental stuff, music with stories. Lately I've been listening to a lot of movie scores.
Right now I've an idea and will developp it into an instrumentaL.
I will share the process here.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Rids: Jun 9 2019, 07:01 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2019, 04:56 AM
Instructor
Hi Rid!

I've enjoyed the feel of your instrumental song. I mostly enjoyed the last section that has two lead guitars mixed. It made me think on John Frusciante's solo albums.

I've listened with attention and with my guitar on hands each of your solos, and my comments will be mostly global because I find the same elements that I recommend focusing to polish your soloing. Some of these comments can be subjetive but I'll share everything that comes to mind in order to help you to get the most from my feedback.

- Guitar Tone: I feel that your guitar sound has too much gain. This makes your guitar sound noisy, and without dynamics. I think that you'll still maintain sustain but get a more enjoyable sound if you try lowering your gain / drive settings.

- Fast passages cleanness: I notice that you have had sync issues when playing fast alternate picking patterns. These are not easy at all, and require special practice to sound consistent. You can find some very useful AP exercises in my Intensive Technique Course. The legato licks (Satriani style), also can sound cleanner and more defined.

- Note choices: I think that you need to put some focus on "following the chords" techniques in order to avoid starting or ending your melodies in notes that doesn't sound totally suitable over the sounding chord. In many cases you stay on 4ths, while hitting a 3rd would be a goal. The solo for the collab ends on a wrong note but this happens because it's not an easy backing. It moves from D dorian to D Mixolydian. Working on this will make your playing much more melodic.

- Polish your vibrato and bending techniques. These are not bad, but some bends doesn't reach the pitch smoothly and some vibratos don't sound natural.

Let me know what you think!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rids
Jun 10 2019, 10:28 AM
Excellent!
Just the kind of feedback I needed and thanks for taking the time to analyse my playing.

For guitar tone, I will use less distortion. Right now the gain is at 60-70%, I will try 50%. You're absolutely right my playing lacks of dynamics I already noticed that.

For improving my synchronisation on fast passages I started to implement the principles Kris was kind enough to share in this excellent video

Phrasing is an important topic for me and I will put more emphasis on it (bending on pitch and control of vibrato).

When you said "The solo for the collab ends on a wrong note", is this note a dissonant one (not in the chord playing background but in key) or is it a note not in the key?

This solo was purely improvised. At first I wanted to end on a bent note but when I ended on this one the "unresolved" feeling ot it pleased my ears and as I knew this solo will be used in a collab I thought that it will be an open door for another solo from one of our GMCer friend to take off from there with a consonant pitch.

Maybe I 'm wrong, you tell me.

Anyway I will be back soon with another solo where I will implement all that was discussed here.

Thanks again!

This post has been edited by Rids: Jun 10 2019, 01:16 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2019, 02:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rids @ Jun 10 2019, 06:28 AM) *
When you said "The solo for the collab ends on a wrong note", is this note a dissonant one (not in the chord playing background but in key) or is it a note not in the key?

This solo was purely improvised. At first I wanted to end on a bent note but when I ended on this one the "unresolved" feeling ot it pleased my ears and as I knew this solo will be used in a collab I thought that it will be an open door for another solo from one of our GMCer friend to take off from there with a consonant pitch.

Maybe I 'm wrong, you tell me.

Anyway I will be back soon with another solo where I will implement all that was discussed here.

Thanks again!

Hi mate, I'm glad to know that my feedback helped! I definitely agree with Kris words in that video.

About your question, I'm now re-checking the note and it's a 4th. Being the major third so present in the backing, it sounds as a wrong note, very dissonant, don't you think so?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rids
Jun 10 2019, 05:07 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 10 2019, 01:53 PM) *
Hi mate, I'm glad to know that my feedback helped! I definitely agree with Kris words in that video.

About your question, I'm now re-checking the note and it's a 4th. Being the major third so present in the backing, it sounds as a wrong note, very dissonant, don't you think so?

It's definitly dissonant. I'm just glad I was not out of key! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Rids: Jun 10 2019, 05:07 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 11 2019, 04:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rids @ Jun 10 2019, 01:07 PM) *
It's definitly dissonant. I'm just glad I was not out of key! laugh.gif

At first, I thought that it was out of key, but I've re-checked when you've asked and it's not. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rids
Jun 12 2019, 03:12 PM
So here's a new solo in E minor.

Chord tone soloing on the intro theme.
Less distortion, some violin -like vibrato.
Trying to be smooth on the picking run.
Trying to be more consistent on legato lines.

Some hit and miss though.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 12 2019, 03:47 PM
Instructor
Hi Rid,

I notice improvements in the elements that I marked. There is obviously more room for improvements and progress is endless but you are going on the right direction. Some comments:

- I still think that your tone needs more work. Your playing is going in the tasty direction and I think that your tone could go more connected with the type of melodies that you'd like. Some inspiration: https://youtu.be/rJmyYkyav0A

- I recommend you this exercise: Follow the chords with thirds and build your melody from there. It's a very powerful exercise. Find the thirds everywhere and gradually use other notes from the scale as passing tones. Then incorporate 5ths and roots.

- There is a big list of elements that can be worked. I recommend you to focus on 1 each day and focus your improvisation practice on it. Some elements or concepts that I suggest:

Vibrato
Bending
Legato
Alternate Picking Passages
Following with 3rds
Following with 5ths
Pentatonics
Triads
Arpeggios
Dynamics
Rhythm
Horizontal phrasing
String Skipping

and the list continues forever.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rids
Jun 12 2019, 10:37 PM
Excellent!
Thanks for the guidance.
It's funny that you mentioned Andy Timmons as I've been listening to a lot of his albums for the last two weeks thanks to Deezer.
I will apply all of your advices for sure.
See you on my next recording my friend!

This post has been edited by Rids: Jun 13 2019, 05:23 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2019, 02:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rids @ Jun 12 2019, 06:37 PM) *
Excellent!
Thanks for the guidance.
It's funny that you mentioned Andy Timmons as I've been listening to a lot of his albums for the last two weeks thanks to Deezer.
I will apply all of your advices for sure.
See you on my next recording my friend!

You're welcome mate! Your phrasing made me think that you like or could like him. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rids
Jun 16 2019, 09:39 AM
It's father's day. So happy father's day to all fathers on the forum and in the world!

I made this one in A Major.
Trying to match the tone to express my feelings with vibrato, remenbering my childhood and all the things I used to do with my father.
I don't see him very much lately as he lives in another country.

It's a one take : I had the basic idea in my head then I let the backing track roll.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2019, 09:36 PM
Instructor
Nice to see you playing from your heart mate. smile.gif

Some comments about your playing here:

- I think that there are some pitch issues here. Maybe your guitar was not completely well tuned, or has old strings? Can you hear it?

- I feel that your solo would sound a lot better if you try any other pick ups configuration (not using only the bridge pick up), and lowering a bit your guitar volume to decrease gain and make tone a bit warmer. Also, what about adding some little delay or reverb?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rids
Jun 17 2019, 08:06 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 16 2019, 08:36 PM) *
Nice to see you playing from your heart mate. smile.gif

Some comments about your playing here:

- I think that there are some pitch issues here. Maybe your guitar was not completely well tuned, or has old strings? Can you hear it?

- I feel that your solo would sound a lot better if you try any other pick ups configuration (not using only the bridge pick up), and lowering a bit your guitar volume to decrease gain and make tone a bit warmer. Also, what about adding some little delay or reverb?

You're right on both points.
- Old strings
- And I didn't recheck the tuning before recording.
I tuned at the beginning of my practice session as I always do though.
Must remember to do it be before recording my videos also.

My guitar is a cheap one with low output and not great definition.
Hopefully I will get a new one by the end of next year.
House, wife, kids and vacation are helping me to not have GAS😊.
I also use free VST plugins.
But I will experiment and hopefully find a good sound.
For this one I lowered the delay and didn't use any reverb to work on dynamics and vibrato.

I will come back with a new solo in a few days.
I also have a new instrumental to record.
I intend to have it totally completed by the end of the week.

Thanks for your feedback as always.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 17 2019, 06:53 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

I think that you can get much more from this guitar without a big investment. Changing strings, and working on your tone with plug ins can make a big difference. Have you ever tried this plug ins?

http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?dev=LePou

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Stoner-for-Strat-2/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rids
Jun 22 2019, 07:25 AM
Frustrated with the instrumental I was working on so I decided to begin a new one from scratch.

Anyway I didn't want to let the week goes by without another improvisation so here it is :

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 23 2019, 06:22 PM
Instructor
Hi Rid, nice feeling here! smile.gif

The things that need work here are the same elements that we've been talking about. I don't hear pitch issues here when playing melodies, but I still think that your tone needs work, as well as the fast passages which are not sounding clean and clear.

I think that your next goal here should be to work on your tone, since it will really affect your overall playing. Have you explored the plug ins that I've shared?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rids
Jun 29 2019, 09:52 AM
I've been experimenting with plugins.
I took the backing track from the new collab and made a quick jam this morning.
What do you think of the sound here?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 30 2019, 09:48 PM
Instructor
Hi Rids! Great to see you experimenting over this one!! smile.gif

I like what you are playing, but I would try with a bit less distortion, have you tried? What amp are you using?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rids
Jul 14 2019, 08:26 AM
I'm using a kind of Marshall plugin.

What do you think of this tone?
Personally I Like it!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:22 PM