Something Has Been Troubling Me For A Really Long Time And I Want To Fix It...
shellshock1911
Aug 17 2007, 08:10 AM
GMC:er
When I first got past the beginner's stage of guitar playing I had many horrible techniques (my vibrato was horrible, bends horrible, couldn't palm mute, tapping sounded like crap, was using 2 fingers to fret adjacent frets...etc). I have fixed all these problems and am pretty good but there is just one more thing that has always been troubling me and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, so can anyone help me on this??? Fixing this problem would drastically improve my playing because these types of licks are EXTREMELY common in Metallica/Megadeth/Iron Maiden

It is on licks like this

|-19p15----19p15----19p15-----19p15----|
|---------17--------17---------17--------17-|
|----------------------------------------------|

What happens is, I do the pulloff fine, then I hit the 17th fret on B string, when I pull my finger off of the 17th fret to do the pulloff again, it ends up pulling off of the open B string then it sounds like crap, I have tried muting and I still get extra noise.

I also have tons of trouble with licks like these

|-15p12-----15p12----15p12-----15p12-----|
|----------12--------12---------12---------12-|
|------------------------------------------------|

The most obvious (and only way I can see) to play this lick is to bar the 12th fret with index finger and use ring finger or pinky to do the pulloff. So once again, I do the pulloff fine, then hit the B note on the B string, do pulloff again and the B is still ringing, there for it sounds like crap once again. If I pull my finger off of the B note, I get the same problem with lick 1, open string starts ringing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swingline
Aug 17 2007, 08:53 AM
On the first pattern,

I am under the assumption that you are you are using the same finger to fret the 19th fret on the E string as the 17th on the B. Is that what you are doing?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Aug 17 2007, 09:00 AM
QUOTE (swingline @ Aug 17 2007, 08:53 AM) *
On the first pattern,

I am under the assumption that you are you are using the same finger to fret the 19th fret on the E string as the 17th on the B. Is that what you are doing?

No, I use index finger on 15th fret, pinky on 19th fret (I use my pinky a ton), and middle finger for 17th on B

wow... somehow I just figured out how to solve my problem on the first lick lol, I just moved my index finger up a little bit so its barely touching the B string, so that mutes it when I pulloff, wow im stupid...but still the 2nd lick, don't know how to fix that 1

--------------------

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Aug 17 2007, 09:05 AM
Same theory for the second one, just roll your index finger a bit to mute the string that's not being played on the 12th. =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
swingline
Aug 17 2007, 09:06 AM
Just watch out sometimes you can catch a harmonic up there when your dampening.

This post has been edited by swingline: Aug 17 2007, 09:08 AM

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 17 2007, 03:33 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'd dampen the B string with my (left) index finger

+Quote Post
dogman
Aug 18 2007, 09:51 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Aug 17 2007, 04:00 AM) *
wow... somehow I just figured out how to solve my problem on the first lick lol, I just moved my index finger up a little bit so its barely touching the B string, so that mutes it when I pulloff, wow im stupid...but still the 2nd lick, don't know how to fix that 1

Those types of licks are very common in all types of styles.

maybe you are playing too them too fast and have not learned to play the licks cleanly enough at a slow tempo before trying to play them full speed. Sloppy fingering and not working the tempo up to full speed. Hence the unwanted noise.

I know this because I had alot of problems with the same things when I first started playing and was a very sloppy (Noisy) guitar player.
wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sergeant_Ant
Aug 18 2007, 09:54 AM
MickeM said what worked for me

--------------------
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

"Whenever society gets too stifling and the rules get too complex, there's some sort of musical explosion" - Slash / Guns 'n Roses

"Play the music, not the instrument." - Author Unknown

Equpiment
Guitars: Ibanez RG350EX
Fender Stratocaster S-S-S
Effects: None
Amps: Fender SP-10

www.myspace.com/sergeantant

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 18 2007, 07:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sergeant_Ant @ Aug 18 2007, 10:54 AM) *
MickeM said what worked for me

Yeah,you can mute B string with the tip of index finger while it stays on high E string(15th fret in this case).
Or as you said,to move middle finger a bit up and mute it that way.
In second lick you've provided here,rolling index finger shall solve the problem.
You just must fell how much to roll it,that's all. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:59 AM