Strings For Shredding!, What guage?
edgor67
Apr 17 2008, 09:54 PM
GMC:er
Hello GMCers! It's been awhile. Work has got in the way of my practice. Since I joined GMC I have enrolled in the local community college Music Theory class and may parlay a second BA degree in music. Good stuff e.g. 4 part harmonies. I've also been practicing the Steve Vai 10 hour workout since Oct 07. Up to but have not started the modal scales (for those of you who have it). I don't do 10 hours I get time in after work and homework. However, I've noticed since I modified my picking I am doing the eighth notes. I think I may be sub-orbital shredding. I didn't pass through the Shred Barrier but I think I saw it. It's sloppy right now but I will refine it. I'm using Ernie Ball Super Slinkies on my Strat and CE-22.

Could it be possible that a heavier guage string is necessary for better (attempts) at shredding?

What say yee?

As always I look forward to all your feedback.

edgor....ROCK ON! Oh one more thing that will get in the way of my practice... the trout and bass streams are looking good this time of year. Life is short fish hard!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 17 2008, 09:56 PM
Instructor
.08 or .09 thats good for shredding

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 17 2008, 10:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
Light gauges make it easier to bend, to hit hammer ons and pull offs quickly and are easier to be picked fast because you have to deal with less tension. On the contrary light strings sound worse than thicker strings and feel sloppy when picked.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 17 2008, 11:06 PM
Instructor
I think thinner gauges would be the best for starters for you.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
edgor67
Apr 17 2008, 11:09 PM
QUOTE (Hisham Al-Sanea @ Apr 17 2008, 03:56 PM) *
.08 or .09 thats good for shredding

Interesting thought. Exactly what I thought about the sloppy light gauge. I may take it up one notch on one guitar and two on another.

edgor

I obviously answered the wrong entry. All Apologies...everyone is read.

This post has been edited by edgor67: Apr 17 2008, 11:11 PM

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 18 2008, 09:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (edgor67 @ Apr 18 2008, 02:09 AM) *
Interesting thought. Exactly what I thought about the sloppy light gauge. I may take it up one notch on one guitar and two on another.

edgor

I obviously answered the wrong entry. All Apologies...everyone is read.

dont worry man keep going

+Quote Post
Mark.
Apr 18 2008, 09:59 AM
Im using the 0,09 ones and they shred great, but if you want to do some heavy technicall riffs thicker strings probably sound better blink.gif

Mark.

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 18 2008, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (Mark. @ Apr 18 2008, 10:59 AM) *
Im using the 0,09 ones and they shred great, but if you want to do some heavy technicall riffs thicker strings probably sound better blink.gif

Mark.

I also use 0,09 but i cant say because i cant shred

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
erik
Apr 22 2008, 08:22 PM
I'm using 0.9 at all the strings except the low e-string which is a little thicker. It works pretty good. Makes both riffing and shredding easier

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Apr 22 2008, 08:27 PM
Normally I use 11-48 (but I'm not entirely sure what size the low E is) but I normally tune to standard D so I guess it is sort of the equiliavent to 9s.... not too sure.

Personal preferance maybe?

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Apr 22 2008, 08:33 PM
I think 10's are the best all around string..

or is you like the light .9's just get some "Light top heavy bottom strings" ( 9-46 gauge.)

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:55 PM