> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

18 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Bleez's Mentoring Thread
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 4 2014, 12:03 AM
Instructor
Dude!

You are awesome biggrin.gif I mean, the progress is THERE and it's big! Good going! Articulated, clean, with good timing and with intention - I like all the recordings and if I were to say something, I think that in the AP you still move your left hand fingers a bit too much and the vibrato could be wider, otherwise, I really haven't got anything to complain about and ... Alive - I am a big grunge music fan and that tune alongside Jeremy, is one of my favorite Pearly Jam tunes smile.gif I think you did a great job on the solo man! Kudos!

Here's a live recording with the grunge tribute band I occasionally play with - Redrum smile.gif You can see me in the right corner biggrin.gif I had long hair back then

QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 2 2014, 03:53 PM) *
hey Cos smile.gif

I done a little recording today, wondered if you'd check it out. here's where Im at with that Alt picking lesson

Also, the Gary Moore collab, a bit simple maybe but the more complicated stuff I tried didn't pan out at all! what do you think?

Ive been working on a ton of stuff these last few months. Im trying a couple lessons which are probably a bit fast for me but even playing them slow sounds pretty cool! Im also re-visiting some older lessons which I either stopped playing or never quite nailed, usually because of bending issues rolleyes.gif
Also still working on learning some solos, I finally got comfortably numb learned and can play through it, you won't confuse it for Gilmour but that was never the immediate goal smile.gif

A new solo Ive been working on is Alive. I tried a few years ago to play it but never managed so it was kinda cool to get through it now. I tried to keep as close to the album version as I could. The bit in the middle where the vocals come back in I found really difficult to make out the guitar and everyone on youtube seems to play something different in that bit, so I just done my own thing but the rest is as close as I can get.
here's the outcome so far -

cheers dude.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 4 2014, 11:38 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
smile.gif
thanks c-dog! that's proper awesome to hear! Ive been working loads recently trying to improve, its pretty much all I do now!
I dont know why I still move my fingers quite so much, its quite a tough habit to break. It even surprised me when I watched the vid back.

Pearl Jam's Ten album is one of my all time favourites, there's not a bad track on that album.... not even a bad section of a track smile.gif
Didn't know you dabbled in a grungy tribute band, that must be great fun. Cool version of Jeremy, the singer seemed a bit lost at the start but picked it up well after the chorus, music was spot on though, sounded really good. Its a great song, I was going to learn Jeremy and Even flow after I got Alive down.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 5 2014, 05:26 PM
Instructor
Hehe! Broheim, hard work always pays off! Keep it like that and keep me in the loop with the vids, eh? biggrin.gif I am going over in the REC zone to grade your take right now!

About the recording - Alex is a true grunger smile.gif As weird as his singing is sometimes, I think that his spirit is really there!

QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 4 2014, 10:38 AM) *
smile.gif
thanks c-dog! that's proper awesome to hear! Ive been working loads recently trying to improve, its pretty much all I do now!
I dont know why I still move my fingers quite so much, its quite a tough habit to break. It even surprised me when I watched the vid back.

Pearl Jam's Ten album is one of my all time favourites, there's not a bad track on that album.... not even a bad section of a track smile.gif
Didn't know you dabbled in a grungy tribute band, that must be great fun. Cool version of Jeremy, the singer seemed a bit lost at the start but picked it up well after the chorus, music was spot on though, sounded really good. Its a great song, I was going to learn Jeremy and Even flow after I got Alive down.

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 6 2014, 09:26 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
duder, I took a quick recording of a couple of the more difficult lessons Im working on, Ive recently been able to increase the speed of them and tbh actually surprised myself when I played them and didnt totally screw them up!
Although being able to play them at the proper speed seems a million miles away at the moment, Im closer than I was this time last week!

1. Southern Metal solo - Im playing this at 110bpm, the target speed is 130.
2. Alice in chains - Im playing this at 115bpm, target for this is, again, 130bpm. Ive only recorded the lead part as the first bit is the riff and Im fine at that section so just focusing on the solo part.
3. The last one needs no introduction cool.gif Im still working on your bends! I was a bit sloppy with the slides in this recording but Im just 100% concentrating on those bends. Its nowhere near correct but I think Im getting a lot more of the bends closer to proper pitch than I used to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 7 2014, 10:55 AM
Instructor
Hey man!

As I said a few days ago - you have progressed immensely biggrin.gif

I think that it's just a matter of time well spent practicing healthily until you nail these at top speed. Once again, as a general recommendation, try to move less - it will allow you to gain precious micro seconds that can be spent on playing with more fluidity and expression.

Try to perform the lessons at a very slow tempo and focus on moving less smile.gif When you will push up the tempo, the good habit will have been formed and stay with you.

Regarding my lesson - you are almost there man! The only things - watch out for the quirky little bends in the beginning, as they are a bit rushed. Try to tie the notes better between themselves and be smoother in general. It's a matter of detail, but you are getting there!

keep me posted, by all means biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
May 10 2014, 01:28 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hey duder, just a quick question. you know how one of my goals is to be able to play some really fast stuff ( its not the most inspired goal, I know! ).
You know pretty much my current level so in your opinion would it be worthwhile to start learning sweep picking?
My current practice time is roughly 1.5 hours per day,( at most I could possibly stretch it to 2 hours ). My thinking up until now has been that sweeping is such an advanced technique that my time might be better spent on general picking and hand sync, maybe leaving the sweep picking until Ive advanced a bit more...... on the other hand sweep picking sounds really awesome smile.gif
what do you think?
I currently devote around 40 mins each session on just hand sync / alt picking. How much time realistically would you say should be devoted to sweep picking per practice session?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 10 2014, 02:59 PM
Instructor
Mate, if you are into it and if you feel like you can use it in your playing, you could go for it, why not? smile.gif In order to see some progress occur, I'd say about 30 minutes in the beginning and then, it all depends on how you progress smile.gif Want me to recommend something you could start with?

QUOTE (bleez @ May 10 2014, 12:28 PM) *
hey duder, just a quick question. you know how one of my goals is to be able to play some really fast stuff ( its not the most inspired goal, I know! ).
You know pretty much my current level so in your opinion would it be worthwhile to start learning sweep picking?
My current practice time is roughly 1.5 hours per day,( at most I could possibly stretch it to 2 hours ). My thinking up until now has been that sweeping is such an advanced technique that my time might be better spent on general picking and hand sync, maybe leaving the sweep picking until Ive advanced a bit more...... on the other hand sweep picking sounds really awesome smile.gif
what do you think?
I currently devote around 40 mins each session on just hand sync / alt picking. How much time realistically would you say should be devoted to sweep picking per practice session?

+Quote Post
bleez
May 10 2014, 03:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 10 2014, 02:59 PM) *
Want me to recommend something you could start with?

for sure smile.gif
I looked at a few lessons, but I liked the vid you posted for dcz702, https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=49035 - that was going to be my starting point, Im open to suggestions though smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 11 2014, 01:03 PM
Instructor
Ah! Great, great smile.gif Start with that, throw a recording my way and we'll take it from there wink.gif Deal?

QUOTE (bleez @ May 10 2014, 02:12 PM) *
for sure smile.gif
I looked at a few lessons, but I liked the vid you posted for dcz702, https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=49035 - that was going to be my starting point, Im open to suggestions though smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
May 11 2014, 04:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 11 2014, 01:03 PM) *
Ah! Great, great smile.gif Start with that, throw a recording my way and we'll take it from there wink.gif Deal?

sounds good to me matey smile.gif Im on it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 12 2014, 11:46 AM
Instructor
Perfect then! Let me know how it goes smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 22 2014, 11:00 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey dude, just droppin in with an update. Still working on that sweeping exercise of yours, up and down the neck with the metronome. It really is as difficult as I thought it would be! Its quite frustrating at times but on occasion when I get a section smooth and consistent its awesome smile.gif
I let it slip the last few days so I'll need to get back at it as of monday.
Im into the swing of having a practice session early before work, so that has been great. I get an extra hour of solid practice, its really good because now Im averaging over 2 hours of practice every day ( next goal will be 3 hours! )

As I focus a lot on fast picking exercises I had a look for a couple of different lessons last week to try, I started your 'Modes of the rising sun' , remember that one? That was such a cool collab cool.gif dude, that is seriously some amazingly tasteful stuff you play in that lesson and those bends ohmy.gif you hardly ever seem to do many 'normal' bends, you always seem to throw in these subtle quirky ones. they're really cool.
Im playing the lesson at 80 bpm (full speed is 100 ) not getting all the bends yet but its going quite well.

the other lesson was this Frusciate one. It's not as difficult as the Rising sun lesson so I managed to get a recording of it tonight. What d'ya think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 23 2014, 01:03 PM
Instructor
Heeey!! biggrin.gif I'd be curious to see some sweeps at work wink.gif I know it's not the easiest thing, but hey, it takes time and once you nail it, it's gonna be pretty easy to apply the technique on other shapes as well and furthermore, to invent your own.

What tempo can you play at right now?

Practicing with a fresh set of ears and a mind which had rest is pretty much amazing, I know biggrin.gif If we would all be able to wake up early, we would save time and do amazing things with the time won smile.gif How does your practice regimen in the morning feel, in respect to ease of playing? Don't you feel a little rigid because of the fact that the body might not be fully awake yet?

Thank you for the kind words man smile.gif I dunno, that's how I feel, that's how I play biggrin.gif If it helps you out, the better smile.gif Once you are ready, throw in a video with the 'Modes of the rising sun' and I'd be happy to help out!

Now for the Frusciante lesson, I'd put a little bit more meat in that tone as right now it's kind of dry in comparison to Gabriel's. Otherwise, maybe, JUST maybe a bit more wideness on the vibrato, but I can't really think of something else which I'd change, so why not take it to the REC to see what the other guys have to say as well? smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 23 2014, 06:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Im playing the sweeps at only 110bpm sometimes 115. I'll make a recording at the end of the week to show you where Im at.

Aw man, the morning sessions are just great! I thought I'd be sluggish and tired, I only have about 5 and a half hours sleep but I get up grab a coffee and take a caffeine tablet , listen to some music for maybe 15 mins then fire up the guitar. I do 40 mins speed picking exercises which start slow at 130 bpm and finish at 175 bpm. Then I'll just play a lesson or 2 for the remaining time. Last few days Its been your 'rising sun' lesson. I managed to get your performance into my DAW so I can get your mix and my guitar through the headphones and really try to hit the bends ( also I dont wake anyone up! )
But I seem to be the most focused during the morning sessions, Its day 2 of my third week doing them and Ive gone from a tempo of 165 bpm on the speed exercises to 175 and I move the patterns all the way up the neck which I never used to.

I'll see if I can get a better tone for the Fruciante lesson, if not I'll fire the vid into REC. TBH tones are not my strong area. I tend to use the presets and adjust some stuff until it sounds okay, but I dont really know exactly what a sound needs, I just randomly turn dials!
Im still using the basic pod farm 1, its maybe not the best cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 25 2014, 08:30 AM
Instructor
Hey again mate smile.gif

Morning practicing is indeed great! I couldn't get too much of a decent sleep tonight and I woke up very early so, playing the guitar at that hour seemed like the best idea smile.gif And it really was a great idea tongue.gif

I see a Marshall head in the movie - if you have that one, why are you wasting your time with presets and all of that? biggrin.gif

That amp should be enough to get great cleans and drives with a little knob tweaking - or am I missing something?

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 26 2014, 11:13 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 25 2014, 08:30 AM) *
I see a Marshall head in the movie - if you have that one, why are you wasting your time with presets and all of that? biggrin.gif

That amp should be enough to get great cleans and drives with a little knob tweaking - or am I missing something?

yeah... I dunno why Im not using the marshall wacko.gif Ive actually not fired it up for quite a few years, not since I played in the band!
I guess I just mic up the 4x12 and plug the mic lead into the UX1?
I'll totally try that biggrin.gif Im not sure how quiet is..... I always used to crank it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 27 2014, 07:45 AM
Instructor
Sweet Jesus man... how can you keep that thing at home and not use it? biggrin.gif Find a time of the day when you won't warp your neighbors on planet Mars laugh.gif And see what you can get - using the mic input of the UX is a good idea. What mic do you have available?

I am not too experienced with micing, but I'll tell ya a little story - 2 months ago when I started recording videos for PRS, I did two reviews for a PRS SE Santana and a PRS SE Custom Semihollow. The PRS dealer also gave me this superb VOX AC15 amp which I had to use to record the reviews. Well, all said and done, the shooting day came, but guess what... I realized that I had NO CLUE on how to mic the amp laugh.gif

I said.. what the hell... I had my dynamic vocal mic - a cheap Beyerdynamic and a mic stand smile.gif I placeed it on the edge of the speaker cone and I just had the Suhr Shiba Drive booster as a pedal to slightly distort the tone, as the VOX AC 15 has only one channel which is a clean channel. I experimented a bit with moving it around the cone, in order to get the sound I wanted and it turned out pretty awesome, to my big, big surprise. So, the key here is experimenting! Maybe you already know stuff about micing an amp?

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jun 27 2014, 07:46 AM

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 27 2014, 08:19 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
LOL! man, I know less about micing stuff than you smile.gif I do have a vocal mic though, I got it to record vocals on all the songs I write........ still working on that part. I think its quite a good mic though, cant remember they type offhand.
I actually fired up the marshall last night biggrin.gif still sounded great, you just cant kill a marshall! I gotta say though, it was kinda loud. I'll try micing it up at the weekend.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 28 2014, 07:42 AM
Instructor
Well, it's a huge dude! It's supposed to be loud biggrin.gif

Anyway, I also have a vocal mic that I have used - a dynamic one - that means it picks sounds up best if you sing close to the bulb.

As I told ya, experimenting is the way to go and otherwise, threads such as this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=21437 amassed some info from the experience of other folks who found themselves in a similar situation tongue.gif

Lemme know how it goes wink.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 11 2014, 11:02 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hey duder smile.gif
Im still working away hard at various things, been learning a couple of songs and solos of late as well as trying to write some more interesting proggy riffs smile.gif anyway, I thought Id post up this recording of my alt picking progress because when I watched it back I kinda surprised myself. Even 6 months ago I was miles from playing these patters at this tempo.
Its not musical at all, just 2 patterns, one starts on a downstroke and the other pattern starts with an up, both patterns use 2 strings so you have that jump to the higher string to deal with. I play it slow first and then at my top speed, there was a gradual build up in-between rolleyes.gif but I didnt record that!

This post has been edited by bleez: Aug 11 2014, 11:07 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:56 AM