2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Home Recording Equipment
Adam
Nov 13 2018, 04:06 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi everyone!

My neighbors don't like me practicing in the afternoon / evening hours and a friend advised me to get a Line 6. The thing is, I'm an analogue purist and modelling technology seems wrong and fake to me. I don't need 50 best models of mediocre quality. If I'm to get a digital studio box, I want it to have less models but of better quality and be relatively durable. My friend uses L6 Studio POD GX but he told me to get UX1. I did some research on guitar forums and people say it's inferior to Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 or 2i2, quality-wise. I need it strictly for home recording for GMC purposes and I already have some stompboxes and a tube amp, if that matters.

Does anyone use either? Which one would you recommend to me? My GC will have UX1 by tomorrow but they won't mind me buying Scarlett instead.

Cheers,
Adam

PS. If a mxer console can be used this way, I'll take that but someone told me I need some DI box to make it work.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Adam M: Nov 13 2018, 04:58 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 13 2018, 05:08 PM
GMC:er
The focusrite scarlett series are very popular soundcards, here in GMC we also have a few users. It would be a better choice as the more users, the more help you'll get if you have any problems setting it up.

I don't think it comes with amp software like line6 does, but there are so many software options these days that won't be a problem only a matter of preference.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Nov 13 2018, 05:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 13 2018, 06:58 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 13 2018, 04:08 PM) *
The focusrite scarlett series are very popular soundcards, here in GMC we also have a few users. It would be a better choice as the more users, the more help you'll get if you have any problems setting it up.

I don't think it comes with amp software like line6 does, but there are so many software options these days that won't be a problem only a matter of preference.

Thank you. I think I'll pay a bit more and get Scarlett 2i2, even if it means waiting another month. It's encouraging just to hear it's popular at GMC community. Must mean it's worth its money. There's a Solo model but it has only one input and some other limitations. I may need the extra features in the future.

As far as software is concerned, there are some included, some DAW too, whatever that is. I'd probably be okay with just Audacity too as long as the signal is good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 13 2018, 07:42 PM
QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 13 2018, 05:58 PM) *
Thank you. I think I'll pay a bit more and get Scarlett 2i2, even if it means waiting another month. It's encouraging just to hear it's popular at GMC community. Must mean it's worth its money. There's a Solo model but it has only one input and some other limitations. I may need the extra features in the future.

As far as software is concerned, there are some included, some DAW too, whatever that is. I'd probably be okay with just Audacity too as long as the signal is good.

Yeah, with an 2i2 just plug your guitar direct (no need for di-box) and you can practice/record with headphones when silence is needed. I assume you don't have studio monitors/speakers but they can be bought later if you get into mixing your own songs etc.

It seems to come with a lot of software though I guess most you won't use. As daw, give the included one a shot (seems to be protools) but if it won't work for you we usually recommend reaper https://www.reaper.fm , its not free but the no-restriction demo lasts almost forever and it has a huge user base (some GMC'ers here too use it).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 13 2018, 09:51 PM
The scarlett is a fine unit! You can download the Amplitube custom shop guitar app for free and get a few free amp models so that you can have an amp simulator that works by itself or in your daw.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitubecs/

QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 13 2018, 01:58 PM) *

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 13 2018, 10:05 PM
GMC Founder
I use Yamaha THR10 for practicing and I love it. It is also an audio interface so you might want to check it out. Its a bit more expensive than Scarlett 2i2 but very handy.

If you are a big fan of tube amps I would advise you to stay away from the older line6 products.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 14 2018, 10:58 PM
Good point!! The THR10 is not only a great little practice amp, it's also a full audio interface. So you can use it by itself, or you can use it to connect your guitar to your computer and use plugins. You can do either. Also, the THR10 comes with software that lets you create your own presets for the amp. It connects to your computer via usb. You can find them used on ebay and get a good deal.
Todd
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 13 2018, 05:05 PM) *
I use Yamaha THR10 for practicing and I love it. It is also an audio interface so you might want to check it out. Its a bit more expensive than Scarlett 2i2 but very handy.

If you are a big fan of tube amps I would advise you to stay away from the older line6 products.

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 15 2018, 11:34 AM
Learning Roadie
I'll go with Scarlett 2i2. THR10 seems fun but with part-time job I'd have to wait too long. I'll be avoiding Line 6 then, thanks for the tip!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 15 2018, 12:13 PM
QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 15 2018, 10:34 AM) *
I'll go with Scarlett 2i2. THR10 seems fun but with part-time job I'd have to wait too long. I'll be avoiding Line 6 then, thanks for the tip!

By the way, when installed that soundcard will take over the computers soundcard. Meaning if you have speakers connected currently they won't work.

If you're using standard pc speakers, likely they its connected with a minijack. You can also buy an adapter like this and connect the speakers on the headphone out of the focusrite;

Might make some extra hissing but should work fine for multimedia use (watching movie, listening music etc.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 15 2018, 09:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Scarlett and Reaper is what you need imho wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 15 2018, 10:36 PM
Learning Roadie
I just got a personalized offer from GC: Scarlet 2i2 2Gen, cardioid mic CM25 MkII and headphones HP60 MkII for something around 197€. Seems like a great deal but I can't afford it now sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 16 2018, 10:02 AM
QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 15 2018, 09:36 PM) *
I just got a personalized offer from GC: Scarlet 2i2 2Gen, cardioid mic CM25 MkII and headphones HP60 MkII for something around 197€. Seems like a great deal but I can't afford it now sad.gif

Black friday I guess, but no worrys they make discounts very often.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 16 2018, 02:21 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 16 2018, 09:02 AM) *
Black friday I guess, but no worrys they make discounts very often.

That's a good point! Black Friday isn't that popular in Poland and I don't have TV, so I forgot about it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 16 2018, 02:37 PM
Instructor
+1 to Scarlett and Reaper. You won't get wrong mate. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 17 2018, 11:20 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 16 2018, 01:37 PM) *
+1 to Scarlett and Reaper. You won't get wrong mate. smile.gif

And this I will get. smile.gif Thank you for the advice, everyone!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 26 2018, 07:24 PM
Learning Roadie
So I'll be getting my salary soon which means Scarlett. But my analogue spirit still doesn't like the idea. I did some research and many people say a good mic + console is just as good combo as DI box.

I did some more research and found that Shure SM57 is the most popular thing out there and a must-have for every studio. I feel like it's a better long-term investment. As for console, I thought about Behringer Xenyx 502 or something similar. Will this be enough to plug into a PC or will I need a DI box regardless?
I have the basic stompboxes and a set of 3-way speakers for the amp, so that would be a nice start.

If a mic and mixer is enough, I might get that over Scarlett. Then, some time later I'd build some 1x12 if I need it.

As for nighttime practice, I started using my amps' phones output, though I don't like it much. So if I time my recording session for the daytime, I'll be ok with neighbors.

What are your thoughts on this set?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 26 2018, 08:31 PM
QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 26 2018, 06:24 PM) *

You don't need a mixer, to be honest thats very bad advice. I checked the Behringer Xenyx 502, it can't work as a soundcard anyway and even if you choose to connect it to the computers mic. input (assuming it will work without too much noise) you'll need a di-box.

I didn't know your amp had phones output, you can connect the phones output to the computers mic. input if you'd like to get away with things for free. Won't be the best tone but would be record-able for GMC lessons.

An sm57 is a famous and affordable mic. but its not sensitive, meaning your amp has to be relatively loud to make it work. In concerts or studios amps recorded with sm57's get pretty loud so thats something to consider if you want to record late at night even day time if you're sharing the house with someone.

Any mic. must be fed by a preamp, and recording consoles provide this. But the modern soundcards (the focusrite) also has preamps so this makes a console unneeded (and the di-box) for home use. The preamp on the focusrite would likely be better than the Behringer anyway.

You can go focusrite-sm57-your amp and thats as analog as you can get. For silent practice focusrite-guitar is all needed, and you can use your amps phones out to connect to the focusrite too.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Nov 26 2018, 08:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 26 2018, 08:39 PM
Every studio does need at least one mic and the 57 is hard to beat. I'd say go for The scarlett though as it is already a digital mixer. It will let you plug your guitar direct in and plug your mic in at the same time and record them to separate tracks. At which point you don't really need a mixing board unless you plan on needing more than 2 inputs right away?

QUOTE (Adam M @ Nov 26 2018, 02:24 PM) *
So I'll be getting my salary soon which means Scarlett. But my analogue spirit still doesn't like the idea. I did some research and many people say a good mic + console is just as good combo as DI box.

I did some more research and found that Shure SM57 is the most popular thing out there and a must-have for every studio. I feel like it's a better long-term investment. As for console, I thought about Behringer Xenyx 502 or something similar. Will this be enough to plug into a PC or will I need a DI box regardless?
I have the basic stompboxes and a set of 3-way speakers for the amp, so that would be a nice start.

If a mic and mixer is enough, I might get that over Scarlett. Then, some time later I'd build some 1x12 if I need it.

As for nighttime practice, I started using my amps' phones output, though I don't like it much. So if I time my recording session for the daytime, I'll be ok with neighbors.

What are your thoughts on this set?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 26 2018, 09:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
+1 for the Scarlett still. I have an SM57, you have to get up to at least 90db to get a good signal into your DAW. It's a difficult choice when setting up your home studio and a journey that ended up with me getting a Helix LT and recording direct.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 26 2018, 10:14 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 26 2018, 07:39 PM) *
Every studio does need at least one mic and the 57 is hard to beat. I'd say go for The scarlett though as it is already a digital mixer. It will let you plug your guitar direct in and plug your mic in at the same time and record them to separate tracks. At which point you don't really need a mixing board unless you plan on needing more than 2 inputs right away?

I imagine I won't be using more than 2 inputs. I kind of want to try miking an amp but after reading Phil's comment I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 26 2018, 08:27 PM) *
+1 for the Scarlett still. I have an SM57, you have to get up to at least 90db to get a good signal into your DAW. It's a difficult choice when setting up your home studio and a journey that ended up with me getting a Helix LT and recording direct.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I suppose that settles all doubts I had. Scarlett it is, then smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:32 PM