2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Opeth Recommendations?
Goliath
Nov 9 2007, 09:28 PM
GMC:er
I've read a lot about this band, heard a little of their newer stuff (read: the stuff you can find on youtube)

I was curious where to start with their catalog? I'm sure Opeth is like any band with several albums in the bag and was wondering what CD should I really start with. In some cases I find myself liking a band's new stuff then becoming familiar with it until I can see how their earlier stuff would influence it and appreciate/like it as much as well.

Sometimes it's the reverse and I'll get a bands old stuff and get into it and then can see the development in the new stuff...

That all said, I'm not sure this was the board for it, but I know a bunch of Opeth fans lurk on these boards so I was going to ask you to weigh in. What CD would be a good jumping off point?

The box set looks might appetizing to really get acclimated to their catalog, it's only 38$ for 5 discs, and it's supposedly 3 studio albums and 2 live discs. This a good place to start? I think the only thing that's not in it is the Ghost Reveries.

Like I said, this might not be the right board, so feel free to move it mods, but please weigh in on this, thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Nov 9 2007, 11:18 PM
EVERYTHING! Opeth is absolutly stunning, everything by them is brillent. The first album i picked up was Ghost Reveries, After that damnnation, then deliverence, blackwater park then Orchid. What i wish i had done was saved, and bought all the albums at once.. just spend a whole day listening to them biggrin.gif. but that would take alot of time. Just buy an album, any will do its all Amazing stuff!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 10 2007, 02:12 AM
Well if i absolutely had to choose for you i'd say Blackwater Park. But Ghost Reveries really is a killer album! The earlier albums personally aren't some of Opeths best but they are still great. However Deliverance is also amazing....

I'd say go with either blackwater park or ghost reveries. Then pickup Deliverance wink.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 10 2007, 02:15 AM
They dont have any bad albums biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bjoerne
Nov 10 2007, 02:16 AM
Still life I'd say, got some of my favourite tracks like moonlapse vertigo and serenity painted death.

This post has been edited by Bjoerne: Nov 10 2007, 03:22 AM

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Nov 10 2007, 03:20 AM
Blackwater Park is what I started with, and I think it's the best album to start with, since it's so... perfect. Otherwise, you could either go with Still life or My Arms, Your Hearse, and then take the others whanever you feel like it. So, I think you should start with one of those, and then take them in whatever order you feel like, and as Robin said, they don't have any bad albums.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
Nov 10 2007, 03:39 AM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 10 2007, 01:12 AM) *
Well if i absolutely had to choose for you i'd say Blackwater Park. But Ghost Reveries really is a killer album! The earlier albums personally aren't some of Opeths best but they are still great. However Deliverance is also amazing....

I'd say go with either blackwater park or ghost reveries. Then pickup Deliverance wink.gif

I agree 100% with Steve here! All the albums there are killer, but if you want the more modern evolved sound of Opeth go for Ghost Reveries, for perfect Opeth - Blackwater Park. For something a little different you may also want to try Damnation, very cool light album.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 10 2007, 03:57 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I agree with everyone here, no matter what you buy first, they are all awesome, you will be satisfied, i mean, if me AND owen both say ALL there albums are killer, you know its gotta be good laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 10 2007, 04:05 AM
I love Opeth. Just listen to anything, none of it is disappointing.

+Quote Post
Vinicitur
Nov 10 2007, 04:09 AM
QUOTE (Owen @ Nov 9 2007, 10:39 PM) *
I agree 100% with Steve here! All the albums there are killer, but if you want the more modern evolved sound of Opeth go for Ghost Reveries, for perfect Opeth - Blackwater Park. For something a little different you may also want to try Damnation, very cool light album.

I have to agree with Owen on this. Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries and damnation is probably the perfect way
to start out.

--------------------
IPB Image

There are 2 types of people in the world: consumers and creators. Which one are you?

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 10 2007, 04:12 AM
If you listen to Blackwater Park, your lifespan increases by 10-20 years, thats how awesome it is.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 10 2007, 04:13 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 9 2007, 10:12 PM) *
If you listen to Blackwater Park, your lifespan increases by 10-20 years, thats how awesome it is.

Haha, its true.

+Quote Post
Owen
Nov 10 2007, 04:28 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 10 2007, 02:57 AM) *
I agree with everyone here, no matter what you buy first, they are all awesome, you will be satisfied, i mean, if me AND owen both say ALL there albums are killer, you know its gotta be good laugh.gif

Owen and Uncreator, Critic's Death Metal band of the Year Award 2007 defo goes to Opeth. laugh.gif

(despite the fact that they havent released a new album in two years! unsure.gif tongue.gif )

Im a big fanboi of Opeth, cant you all tell?! cool.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 10 2007, 04:35 AM
Opeths albums are up for best album of whatever year, 2032, or even 1974, it doesnt matter, just because they can be! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Owen
Nov 10 2007, 04:44 AM
Have you heard the Demo's though?

Ahhhhhrg, its far away from the Opeth we know and love. laugh.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 10 2007, 04:46 AM
Yeah i heard them, not the best quality, but hey, they have developed WAY more since then.

+Quote Post
JVM
Nov 10 2007, 04:58 AM
Learning Roadie
I agree, any album will do! If you want to be hooked instantly, the best one is any of them. Get damnation (softer album) and then any other heavy album (at the same time) for the full spectrum of opeth.

This post has been edited by JVM: Nov 10 2007, 04:58 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Alex Lewis
Nov 17 2007, 06:06 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Of the older style Opeth I would go with Still Life as its the best produced of their early work then get blackwater park and finally Ghost reveries which IMO is their best work to date! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Patrik Jezierski
Jan 26 2008, 11:03 PM
You should really start listening from the still life album, personally I think it's one of their best albums exept for damnation, deliverance and blackwater park hehe:D
listen to Benighted, the moor and face of melinda smile.gif really good songs.

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 26 2008, 11:16 PM
Learning Roadie
I agree! Still life has become my favorite Opeth record. The moor is an amazing song but it has growling in it. Benighted and face of melinda don't. Benighted has an awesome Jazzy solo. Face of melinda has a beautiful acoustic melody, and then at the end it gets really heavy but no growling. I love the part in the moor at 7:21, the solo/lead thing is a great melody smile.gif

So fret have you listened any?

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:56 PM