Relax Dude!
Gabriel Leopardi
May 14 2014, 10:02 PM
Instructor
No, this is not a Zoolander based thread... tongue.gif

You will notice technically proficient guitarist have an effortless style of playing. Most of the times, they make tricky licks and songs look much easier than they are and that's because they play very relaxed. One of the things that I mostly note in beginners when I'm checking REC takes is the lack of relax while they play.

Check your posture and hands in the mirror while playing ( or video record yourself). Are you relaxed?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 14 2014, 10:48 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 14 2014, 09:02 PM) *

You will notice technically proficient guitarist have an effortless style of playing. Most of the times, they make tricky licks and songs look much easier than they are and that's because they play very relaxed. One of the things that I mostly note in beginners when I'm checking REC takes is the lack of relax while they play.

Check your posture and hands in the mirror while playing ( or video record yourself). Are you relaxed?

i noticed in my last stoner rock rec i did not look relaxed. and a bit tence, concentrated on hitting the right notes at the right time with the right pitch, i think that caused me to tense up. also if you notice my posture its a bit different from my other rec take, because im trying to sit up straight and not hinch over the guitar looking at the fret board, and it feels a bit strage to me right now. but i feel like getting used to sitting up straight may be better for me then huched over. i think that may have had something to do with me tensing up, forcing my posture, the guitar is hanging on m by the strap while i sit, intetead of resting on my lap

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by dcz702: May 14 2014, 10:50 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 14 2014, 11:17 PM
GMC:er
GREAT POINT!! This came up in the thread where KRIS DAHL was sharing his most recent vid. I made note of how loose and relaxed he was while shredding like a mad man. It's almost instinctive to "tense up" and it's really important to fight it. That is part of the reason I starting using and teaching the "thumbless" technique as a way to help reset the pressure of the hand on the neck.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 14 2014, 05:02 PM) *

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 15 2014, 04:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 14 2014, 06:48 PM) *
i noticed in my last stoner rock rec i did not look relaxed. and a bit tence, concentrated on hitting the right notes at the right time with the right pitch, i think that caused me to tense up. also if you notice my posture its a bit different from my other rec take, because im trying to sit up straight and not hinch over the guitar looking at the fret board, and it feels a bit strage to me right now. but i feel like getting used to sitting up straight may be better for me then huched over. i think that may have had something to do with me tensing up, forcing my posture, the guitar is hanging on m by the strap while i sit, intetead of resting on my lap

It's very important to be able to note it. That's the first step, now you have to hold on your guitar and start practicing trying to avoid this tension and discomfort that appears while you practice.

Have you already tried it?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 14 2014, 07:17 PM) *
GREAT POINT!! This came up in the thread where KRIS DAHL was sharing his most recent vid. I made note of how loose and relaxed he was while shredding like a mad man. It's almost instinctive to "tense up" and it's really important to fight it. That is part of the reason I starting using and teaching the "thumbless" technique as a way to help reset the pressure of the hand on the neck.

thumbless technique? Interesting! Tell us a bit more. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 16 2014, 01:35 PM
Instructor
Very good point here smile.gif I know that Todd teaches people good methods of being aware of the reactions of their body and managing to relax while playing. I myself am paying a lot of attention to this aspect and trying to build stamina by staying as relaxed as possible for a lengthy period of time and when tension shows up, slowly de-tensing my body without stopping playing. Can you de-tense without stopping? smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 16 2014, 04:53 PM
GMC:er

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 16 2014, 10:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 16 2014, 09:35 AM) *
Very good point here smile.gif I know that Todd teaches people good methods of being aware of the reactions of their body and managing to relax while playing. I myself am paying a lot of attention to this aspect and trying to build stamina by staying as relaxed as possible for a lengthy period of time and when tension shows up, slowly de-tensing my body without stopping playing. Can you de-tense without stopping? smile.gif

I think that I can do it, mostly when a simple section or silence appears.. but I'm curious to know how this work for other guys here...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 17 2014, 05:41 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 15 2014, 03:02 PM) *
It's very important to be able to note it. That's the first step, now you have to hold on your guitar and start practicing trying to avoid this tension and discomfort that appears while you practice.

Have you already tried it?

Yes. I try to be aware of what my body is doing. And breathe and relax. There's been times when I've even held my breath. Don't know why I've done it but I have. Weird right? But I'm trying to break bad habits by being aware of them. That what I like about rec section a lot, I may not be aware but I can count on you guys to point them out.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 17 2014, 08:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 17 2014, 04:41 AM) *
Yes. I try to be aware of what my body is doing. And breathe and relax. There's been times when I've even held my breath. Don't know why I've done it but I have. Weird right? But I'm trying to break bad habits by being aware of them. That what I like about rec section a lot, I may not be aware but I can count on you guys to point them out.

Breathing is crucial! You need to become aware of it and use it to your advantage smile.gif If you don't send oxygen to your muscles,they will be in a bit of trouble smile.gif

Gabi - I was talking more about relaxing while actually playing not when rests occur biggrin.gif That's really tricky, but it's possible smile.gif Marius has great stamina as a player out of what I know, so maybe he can share some of his secrets with us!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 17 2014, 02:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 17 2014, 01:41 AM) *

Nice to know this mate. REC is a very valuable feature here and it's cool to know that you find it helpful. smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 17 2014, 04:12 AM) *
Breathing is crucial! You need to become aware of it and use it to your advantage smile.gif If you don't send oxygen to your muscles,they will be in a bit of trouble smile.gif

Gabi - I was talking more about relaxing while actually playing not when rests occur biggrin.gif That's really tricky, but it's possible smile.gif Marius has great stamina as a player out of what I know, so maybe he can share some of his secrets with us!

ah yeah, during a tricky part? I didn't try it, but it should be possible, maybe with some practice. I was also talking about while playing, but thought that it would be easier to relax when you reach an easier part of the song and then try to keep relaxed . By the way I'm curious to know what Marius can add to this topic.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 18 2014, 10:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 17 2014, 01:56 PM) *
Nice to know this mate. REC is a very valuable feature here and it's cool to know that you find it helpful. smile.gif

ah yeah, during a tricky part? I didn't try it, but it should be possible, maybe with some practice. I was also talking about while playing, but thought that it would be easier to relax when you reach an easier part of the song and then try to keep relaxed . By the way I'm curious to know what Marius can add to this topic.

Marius plays a lot of fusion and I somehow always seen him as being a player with good stamina so I'm sure he has some insight on the matter. I for one am always trying to be aware of the moment in which tension starts to settle in and of course try to dodge it by relaxing smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 18 2014, 04:32 PM
Instructor
I'm also curious to know how other GMC:ers relate to this topic. Do you usually pay attention to being relaxed while you practice?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 19 2014, 10:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 18 2014, 03:32 PM) *
I'm also curious to know how other GMC:ers relate to this topic. Do you usually pay attention to being relaxed while you practice?

It should be a very important thing to focus on - I for one took extra care while rehearsing these days with the band smile.gif You know how you get caught in the heat of the moment and tense up because you move around or headbang? Well, those are the things you should pay attention to and try to stay relaxed while doing those as well smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:16 PM