I'm A Guitar God!, (daydreaming again...)
Henrik Skotth
May 10 2007, 04:40 PM
GMC Tech & Community Manager
Alright, I admit. I have hardly ever done anything more than look at a guitar. Seriosly, I most likely don't look any way even near as cool as most of you guys and gals do with a guitar.

So what am I doing here? Well, basically I've been Kris's go-to guy when it comes to the technological development of GMC for a year or so. More recently we have started to focus a lot more on the community aspects of the site as well, which is a very interesting development. Online community building and development are the areas I mainly work in since a few years back, and I see great potential with this site and its members (that's you!). The goal is to make GMC the greatest guitar community on the web!

So, I would just like to introduce myself like this, and also to tell everyone that you are more than welcome to tell me what you think about the community aspects of this site (mainly the forum and chat at this point) and how it integrates with the main parts of the site (today thats mainly the "who's practising" information). Also, if you have any requests or ideas for the future, please let me know!

And oh, one more thing: I would really love suggestions when it comes to buying a great guitar! Not that I am likely to buy one in a long time (well, who knows?), but it would be cool to be able to say that I'm looking into buying that-and-that guitar for this-or-that reason cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
MickeM
May 10 2007, 05:25 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
So you've been around for a while then, longer than me judging from the member# but Welcome. biggrin.gif

You can always say "I'm looking into buing the Jackson RR24 because this brand new model is already a classic." cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Robin
May 10 2007, 09:22 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Henrik Skotth @ May 10 2007, 03:40 PM) *
The goal is to make GMC the greatest guitar community on the web!

What the hell is that supposed to mean? It is already, by far laugh.gif

Oh, and Hi btw smile.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: May 10 2007, 09:23 PM

+Quote Post
Henrik Skotth
May 10 2007, 10:00 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ May 10 2007, 10:22 PM) *
What the hell is that supposed to mean? It is already, by far laugh.gif

Oh, and Hi btw smile.gif

hush! don't tell Kris! He's paying me for this! laugh.gif

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC

+Quote Post
Robin
May 10 2007, 10:25 PM
QUOTE (Henrik Skotth @ May 10 2007, 09:00 PM) *

Haha laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 10 2007, 10:27 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Henrik Skotth @ May 10 2007, 11:00 PM) *

That's it - you're fired! mad.gif

More seriously - this was an awesome introduction, I moved it to the main board so that everyone will read it!

I'd like to tell everyone that Henrik is quite modest when introducing himself - he is the founder of one of the largest Swedish online communities - and is now hired as a pro community consultant at one of the largest Swedish enterprises...

So when Henrik says he feels there is great potential at GMC - we are to be really flatered. We, meaning the instructors and mostly YOU , the students - have done a good job in taking care of each other and the site.

Henrik is also a fantastic person to work with - and is responsable for all the cool tech things we've got here.

I am very much looking forward to see our community grow! biggrin.gif

Kris

PS - oh and he really is a tech guy - he even has a self-propelled lawn mower (= a machine that cuts grass - I had to look this one up). So please don't give him a guitar - he'll just turn it into a self-operating shred machine and beat us all without practicing...maybe wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 10 2007, 10:54 PM
Lets go fishing!
GMC has a really great Vibe to it i have not experienced in other communitys. EVERYONE is super nice, and all the instructors very approachable and friendly. Infact, I am stunned at the level of support everyones given me! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Jeff
May 10 2007, 11:07 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 10 2007, 10:27 PM) *
PS - oh and he really is a tech guy - he even has a self-propelled lawn mower (= a machine that cuts grass - I had to look this one up). So please don't give him a guitar - he'll just turn it into a self-operating shred machine and beat us all without practicing...maybe wink.gif

Ok, well then, hello Henrik! GMC is great - doesn't take long to figure that out. Now, and most importantly, I need a guitar that will cut my lawn. Can you make one of those? biggrin.gif

Good to meet you!

+Quote Post
Henrik Skotth
May 11 2007, 07:50 AM
QUOTE (jeff @ May 11 2007, 12:07 AM) *
Ok, well then, hello Henrik! GMC is great - doesn't take long to figure that out. Now, and most importantly, I need a guitar that will cut my lawn. Can you make one of those? biggrin.gif

Good to meet you!

Good to meet you too! All of you! smile.gif

Maybe I should attatch a guitar to Rosa? That way, it can cut the grass AND supply background music when doing gardening work!
(Rosa, btw, is the lawn-mower, it has a name of course! biggrin.gif)

Oh, a link to the homepage of Rosa's family: http://www.automower.com/

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
May 11 2007, 09:03 AM
Rock Instructor
hey

it is so nice to meet you . i feel it is a family here . everybody are friends.

i love the work kris and you are doing!!

Eyal

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez Rg2570, Pod XTL, peavey classic 30w
Guitar it is a passion

a link to the Aspiring instructor

+Quote Post
Rock
May 13 2007, 02:24 AM
QUOTE (Henrik Skotth @ May 11 2007, 07:50 AM) *
Good to meet you too! All of you! smile.gif

Maybe I should attatch a guitar to Rosa? That way, it can cut the grass AND supply background music when doing gardening work!
(Rosa, btw, is the lawn-mower, it has a name of course! biggrin.gif)

Oh, a link to the homepage of Rosa's family: http://www.automower.com/

That is so cool. I have to have one!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 15 2007, 09:44 PM
GMC Founder
After seeing the picture of Rosa I must apologise and admit that I am new fan - if only I had some grass! sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Henrik Skotth
May 16 2007, 10:42 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 15 2007, 10:44 PM) *
After seeing the picture of Rosa I must apologise and admit that I am new fan - if only I had some grass! sad.gif

I've been digging in the garden a lot lately (making room to grow potatoes and other stuff! biggrin.gif), and I've got lots of pieces of dirt with grass left over. Should I send you some? tongue.gif

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 16 2007, 10:56 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Henrik Skotth @ May 16 2007, 11:42 AM) *
I've been digging in the garden a lot lately (making room to grow potatoes and other stuff! biggrin.gif), and I've got lots of pieces of dirt with grass left over. Should I send you some? tongue.gif

Yes please - kristofer(at)guitarmasterclass.net - no attachements over 5 mb, so COMPRESS DA GRASS MUTHA!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
blindwillie
May 16 2007, 06:59 PM
You are spoiling your lawns! Grass need some rough love. I'll show you how to treat a lawn!
I can send some sand and dirt if you need Kris.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Leviathan
May 23 2007, 06:30 PM
I think the only thing that this place needs is a Skill level... like set up the courses one by one.... Like which ones to do first like.

1. metronome
2. Power chords for beginners

because i felt like i was running blind i would stop one thing to learn another that i needed to know during the one i was currently on...

sorry if this is confusing i'm typing fast and am at school
(laptop is still unfunctional at home...)

+Quote Post
AIB234
May 23 2007, 06:49 PM
QUOTE (Leviathan @ May 23 2007, 12:30 PM) *
I think the only thing that this place needs is a Skill level... like set up the courses one by one.... Like which ones to do first like.

1. metronome
2. Power chords for beginners

because i felt like i was running blind i would stop one thing to learn another that i needed to know during the one i was currently on...

sorry if this is confusing i'm typing fast and am at school
(laptop is still unfunctional at home...)

I can agree with this.

I'm not so much in this boat now but when I first arrived I was overwhelmed with the amount of great content on this website and even now I find it hard to stick to one thing when there are so many other things I want to learn as well. It's hard to focus, practice, and get good at once thing before wanting and simply moving on too soon.

Maybe a recommended structure to the lessons for newcomers would be good? Kind of like a tier or ladder system? I know that I stuck to the alt picking lessons when I first started here because it was a skill I recognized I'd be needing forever and I already knew how metronomes worked and how timing worked.

This could be a guideline for some of us who aren't so good at self control to stick with one thing at a time and progressively move through harder material.

EDIT: Welcome to the boards finally, Henrik. I've not been around in the last few weeks and a lot of great new changes have happened. Nice surprise smile.gif

This post has been edited by AIB234: May 23 2007, 06:51 PM

+Quote Post
Henrik Skotth
May 24 2007, 02:49 PM
QUOTE (AIB234 @ May 23 2007, 07:49 PM) *
I can agree with this.

I'm not so much in this boat now but when I first arrived I was overwhelmed with the amount of great content on this website and even now I find it hard to stick to one thing when there are so many other things I want to learn as well. It's hard to focus, practice, and get good at once thing before wanting and simply moving on too soon.

Maybe a recommended structure to the lessons for newcomers would be good? Kind of like a tier or ladder system? I know that I stuck to the alt picking lessons when I first started here because it was a skill I recognized I'd be needing forever and I already knew how metronomes worked and how timing worked.

This could be a guideline for some of us who aren't so good at self control to stick with one thing at a time and progressively move through harder material.

EDIT: Welcome to the boards finally, Henrik. I've not been around in the last few weeks and a lot of great new changes have happened. Nice surprise smile.gif

Actually, we have a project for this that is just about to start. It will make it possible to rate the difficulty of lessons and how much you enjoy them, and based on your ratings a lesson plan will be suggested based on what your skill level seems to be and what type of lessons you enjoy. This will most likely not be completely finished untill late fall, though. But it will be great! biggrin.gif

And thanks for the welcome, more stuff is on the way smile.gif

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC

+Quote Post
Majickal
Jan 22 2008, 06:36 AM
Hi Henrik,

Developers and Guitars all in one place - heaven - I think what you have achieved so far is an amazing blend of interactivity and quality workmanship. Well Done.

Suggestions:

1)
One thing i think i wrote in a different post was for each lesson or sub lesson, a looping metronome where the tempo can be varied in steps of 5bmp (or some other small increment) This would allow me to practice the section/lesson/sub lesson, for example, at 70bpm with the backing track, then up the tempo with the metronome till i could play the phrase or sample at the next backing track speed eg 90bpm. This would also help me ensure i am playing cleanly and accurately.

2)
What would make my day in terms of practicing, is being able to hit an arrow key or space bar (ideally) to go back to the start of the current track, rather than grab the mouse and click on the arrow in the transport control section in the backing track flash player.

3)
I was totally stoked with the bookmarks section, such simple things make life so much easier. I wonder if through categorizing bookmarks we can create our own custom lesson plans and then export them for other users to try? (export the bookmark as xml/rss so we can subscribe to each other's lesson plans)?

4)
Member Blog, so we can update everyone else on our progress. (if you already have this i do apologize, but i have not found it as yet)

5)
I would love to see a time line of the creation of this site with major milestones added.

That is all for now, keep up the amazing work.

Best Regards

Chris

--------------------

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jan 22 2008, 09:02 AM
QUOTE (Majickal @ Jan 22 2008, 06:36 AM) *
2)
What would make my day in terms of practicing, is being able to hit an arrow key or space bar (ideally) to go back to the start of the current track, rather than grab the mouse and click on the arrow in the transport control section in the backing track flash player.

+1
I agree that would be helpful, but meanwhile you can use the sliders to set a looping interval, see picture.
Hmmm... the upload functions seems to be disabled now. Ignore the picture comment :/
There are two triangles above the position slidebar. Slide them to your preferred location to narrow down an area you want to loop.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:06 PM