10 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 >  
Who Inspired You?, To play guitar BETTER!
Guitarman700
Oct 18 2008, 10:30 PM
GMC:er
lately; Emir Hot, Mark Morton, Travis Stever, Robb Flynn and Phil Demmel.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 19 2008, 01:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Oct 18 2008, 10:30 PM) *
lately; Emir Hot, Mark Morton, Travis Stever, Robb Flynn and Phil Demmel.

Man this is a huge honour

thanks

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Oct 23 2008, 05:48 PM
Instructor
Cool topic, my list of favorite guitarists always change, as I grow musically I appreciate different things I didn't appreciate before, and mind less about others.

My first inspiration to pick up the guitar was Slash, he had memorable lines that stuck in my head, my first solos were Patience, Don't cry, Welcome To the Jungle, and then almost everything Slash played.

Then it was Kirk Hamett, I heard the unforgiven solo and at the time I thought it was amazing, and I learned my first Metallica solo, then Kirk Hamett's One solo helped me discover tapping, I realize now when I hear his solos that they are not technical, and as someone said he is a little sloppy, and his bends are sometimes flat with no vibrato, I hear that now, but didn't back then. That doesn't take away the fact that I started shredding because of Kirk, I practiced Fade to black solo Night and day, I learned my first shred tricks from kirk Hammett and I am thankful to Metallica and Kirk for writing great inspiring music, it kept me going. Yes Fade to black could be played better by a very technical clean guitar player, but can you Imagine a super clean Neo-classical version of a Kirk Hammett's solo, it wouldn't fit the music, Kirk Hammet's style although sloppy and imprecise at times fits Metallica's music perfectly, he has his sound and has created memorable solos that will live on forever.

The next one was Malmsteen, my uncle wanted to show me how much I sucked at guitar and gave me a tape of Rising Force, I was blown away. I didn't have access to tabs or anything and listened for hours, I figured out my first neo-classical licks on my one, by sticking a pencil on to the cassette tape player to slow it down.

Then he did the same to me with Vai, Satriani, Vinnie Moore, Tony Mcalpine, and other guitar heroes from the 80's but I was fascinated with Yngwie's neo-classical so he had much more impact on my playing

The Next was Petrucci, a friend invites me to his house to watch the Live in Tokyo concert, and I see Under a Glass moon for the first time, Again blown away, but this time I managed to get a hold of the Tab book, and practiced for hours days weeks and months the Under a Glass Moon Solo.

I can honestly say that was the last time I sat down to analyze and copy a certain style, from then on I picked up little things from others, I admire Paul Gilbert's shred style and dynamics, SRV's awesome jaw dropping bends and vibrato, Mark Knopfler's awesome lead lines played straight from the heart, and I could go on forever.

The latest single guitar player I admire, and can't get enough of is Guthrie Govan, my god what a tone, phrasing, amazing shred, and lots of emotion.

Then for some time now my main source of inspiration is GMC.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Oct 23 2008, 05:50 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (JVM @ Jan 13 2008, 01:13 PM) *
Lately a huge amount of my inspiration has come from Mikael Akerfeldt. I just think he's a great musician overall, who can do many styles greatly, and at the same time seems to be a down to earth and funny guy. Of course many others mentioned in this thread, and I STILL don't get the kirk hammett hate tongue.gif

I echo the same thing JVM. Satriani was the guy who made me buy a guitar when I first purchased his "Not of the Earth" tape.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Oct 24 2008, 01:45 PM
Lately. Watching people like Jose Mena and Muris play is just inspiring. It makes you think that it is a realistic goal to want to play fast like players like EJ and Paul Gilbert.
Its just inspiring biggrin.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Nazgul
Oct 24 2008, 02:06 PM
It's always been Kirk Hammett. smile.gif His bluesy metal-licks made me jump around in my room, I just can't get enough of them. And of course because of his solos in the early Metallica-time.

--------------------
Chuck Norris rules!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Oct 25 2008, 02:37 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I would have to say Steve Vai first and foremost. When I saw the guitar duel in the movie Crossroads in the 80's, it changed my life! Also, Stevie Ray Vaughan. I have never in my life watched someone play guitar and have it look more natural than him. The guitar truely looks like a part of his body when he played.

QUOTE (Nazgul @ Oct 24 2008, 09:06 AM) *
It's always been Kirk Hammett. smile.gif His bluesy metal-licks made me jump around in my room, I just can't get enough of them. And of course because of his solos in the early Metallica-time.

+1 for KH...I love his playing

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Oct 25 2008, 03:51 PM
Slash. I picked up the guitar because of him!

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Oct 25 2008, 04:16 PM
The first band that inspired me to play guitar was blink-182, but the one person in the world that has inspired me to go further technically in guitar and work as hard as I do is no one else than Kristoffer Dahl! biggrin.gif
If you take it into a wider perspective, I think Nightwish and Marcus Lavendell were the people who got me into classical music, piano, music-arranging/composing and therefore made me develop as much as I have musically smile.gif
Ten thousand thanks to all of you!

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
superize
Oct 26 2008, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Luca Turilli
Alexei Laiho
Andre Olbrich
Marcus Siepen

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Mateusz
Oct 26 2008, 09:05 AM
Hizaki.. one of the best guitarist i've ever heard about smile.gif He's solos are melodic and I could listen to him all the time =p
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=rDjumx-mY-Y

This post has been edited by Mateusz: Oct 26 2008, 09:05 AM

+Quote Post
kebsis
Oct 31 2008, 06:16 AM
Until I was 11 I thought all metal guitar sounded basically the same until I heard buckethead (Brian Charol) Now a days i like his acoustic stuff better than his metal but soothsayer and jump man still rock. You don't really have respect for a guitarist until you know how mind blowingly difficult it is to learn guitar.

+Quote Post
EricGhart
Nov 4 2008, 02:09 AM
Despite their bad reputation, Dragonforce was actually the band that inspired me to pick up the guitar. Steve Vai was the one though that inspired my playing the most. I love his sound. Lately I've been getting into guys like Al di meola and Pat Martino's acoustic guitar work.

+Quote Post
FrankW
Nov 4 2008, 02:49 AM
Over the years, the influences have been many. I fell in love with the guitar after hearing Sunshine of Your Love by Cream, and Journey to the Center of the Mind by Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes. That was back in 1968!

I didn't pick up the guitar until 1972 when the Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East was popular, and I also discovered Hendrix by then. I didn't start playing seriously until I heard Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin through the 70s. I also was into the Who and Deep Purple during this time.

I was first completely blown away when Eddie Van Halen became popular in 1978. I listened to Van Halen records until they were completely worn out.
The next really big moment was Yngwie. I also was into Al DiMeola and Carlo Santana during this period.

Then, like Jose Mena, I became interested in the new wave of shredders and guitar monsters like Vinnie Moore, Tony MacAlpine, Joe Satriani, and Steve Vai.
I still listen to all these guys as well as Steve Morse, Eric Johnson, Greg Howe, John Petrucci, and Guthrie Govan.

It's interesting how guitar playing has evolved over the years. The biggest change is in the gear. It's so much easier to get the sound you are looking for, and to analyze your favorite player, and cop his licks.

I personally think that Guthrie Govan is the current state of the art guitarist. He is the one I would analyze to cop licks. Playing his style of fusion requires a gift that I'm lacking. But, if I slow down his licks on the Tascam Guitar Trainer, I can get a true insight into those awesome outside licks that I so crave. I can then incorporate them into my style and increase the sophistication of my personal lick vocabulary.

Another fusion guitar player to analyze is Chris Poland. And another one is Brett Garsed!
I really love where guitar is in relation to these players, (including Greg Howe). To me, the fusion aspect of electric guitar is where it's at.

My influences are many, and change over time. I'm waiting for the next monster. Maybe it's one of you. Muris, are you listening? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Nov 4 2008, 02:53 AM
Very nice story Frank, seems you like alot of great guitarists, extra props for mentoning Greg Howe! He is still one of my favorites.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
FrankW
Nov 4 2008, 03:40 AM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Nov 4 2008, 02:53 AM) *
Very nice story Frank, seems you like alot of great guitarists, extra props for mentoning Greg Howe! He is still one of my favorites.

Thanks man. Yeah, Greg Howe is something else isn't he? smile.gif

+Quote Post
FenderBeater
Nov 6 2008, 09:39 PM

I didn't see some of my favorites there but Yngwie was the first one to make me want to play guitar for good and why I got one. As far as inspiration too many to list but my favorite is Eric Johnson and also Satriani (this guy can write like no one else) and after that so many that it's hard to say. Even newer ones or younger ones like Cesar Huesca and Gustavo Guerra inspire me alot. The dedication alone inspires alot.

Most technical or best? That's impossible to answer when you get to the level of all those guys, they're all "BEST".

One thing I'll say in my opinion Jeff Beck is very overrated.

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 6 2008, 11:03 PM
Fun topic, you can really see our early teen years were very formative. For me hands down it was 3 bands not guitar players. Ozzy (Randy Rhoads) Dokken (George Lynch), Judas Priest (K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton). Now this is just the tip of the iceberg as once you get the fever anything good is game

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Nov 6 2008, 11:13 PM
Lately I've been getting extremely inspired by three guitarists. Paul Gilbert, Buckethead and Fredrik Åkesson.

Paul Gilbert for his overall playing, whenever I hear any of his songs I just want to sit down and play guitar and really improve. I feel like he is the perfect rock guitarist. I especially admire how he can control bends and vibrato more than anyone I've seen. In general it's probably his complete control over the guitar that makes me so inspired.

Buckethead has lately inspired me a lot in more mellow playing, I've been listening to electric tears for about once a day for the last 2-3 months and I would kill for that kind of phrasing.

And Fredrik Åkesson basically has one of the best vibratos I have ever heard, so I tend to listen a lot to his stuff (ok, just Watershed with Opeth and some Krux, but the Watershed material has most solos with a lot of vibrato, so I tend to mostly listen to that) and just try to play and make my vibrato just a bit more like his.

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
Nov 6 2008, 11:29 PM
The Pink Floyd solos were the ones that inspired me the most at the very beginning. I wanted to play like David Gilmour, to experiment with tones and effects like him, and to explore guitar as he did.

Then came Petrucci, who inspired me to really dig into shredding.

Now there are many-many guitarist I like to listen to, I could name these people in an endless list, but there is no point of it, I just listen to them, either in bands or as solo musicians (from John Frusciante to Fredrik Thordendal, from Brian May to Bob Marley etc.)

But considering the time i spend online on GMC, i have to admit that our amazing instructors also have a HUGE influence on me (and I won't just name a few, because i would have to name the 60 or so guitarists making this site the best... that again would be too long)

cool.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:18 PM