Learn The Solo To Ilios Pt 2
Ben Higgins
Jul 10 2015, 10:09 AM
Instructor
We continue from where we left off, after a bend & release on the top E string....

Attached Image

Attached File  Ilios_Solo_pt_2.gp5 ( 4.67K ) Number of downloads: 119

Attached File  Ilios_Solo_pt_2.pdf ( 68.93K ) Number of downloads: 132

The next two licks require you to use a technique known as glissando vibrato. Glissando is a fancy term for slide. You may also know this technique by the name jack-off or jerk-off vibrato, courtesy of Mr Scary himself, George Lynch. Charming. rolleyes.gif

Whatever you call it, it's a tricky technique to learn. I remember getting really frustrated when trying to get this sound. The skin on my my fingers would burn and then tear off and I just couldn't the momentum of the sideways back and forth motion. The note kept dying out as well. Then one day it just clicked. One day it sucked and the next day it stopped sucking. That's how it goes with guitar playing so don't get disheartened when things are difficult - the improvements usually happen when you stop looking for them and least expect it.

After the second jerk-off vibrato you can hear a slide downwards just before the next phrase kicks in. It wasn't calculated but whilst analysing it now we could say it serves 3 purposes. It. Firstly, it's a nice way of linking up the two different phrases. Secondly it's a handy way of getting from high up on the neck to the 2nd fret area. Thirdly it has attitude. It just goes to show you don't have to be a technical mastermind to come up with a good solo. It's all about what goes where. It's very rarely how fast it's played. We just play fast because we can and we like it. But even if you can't, it's not a problem. If you only learn one thing from any of my solos I hope that it's this idea. It's all just about careful arrangement and good use of rhythm and timing. That's all it is. Good note choice helps too.

From the 2nd fret I play two groups of sextuplets and then start to ascend through the F#m scale using a stepping up approach. Ascend 4 notes and then ascend another four but from the next interval up from where you started. Notice that on the last group of 4 you have to slide to the last note because it is played on the same string. Why? Because it sets me up in a good position to get to my next sequence...

......which we will be looking at next time! You've got plenty to work on in the meantime so get to it!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:12 PM