2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Experiences With "in Real Life" Guitar Teachers, IRL - what's that? :D
Barenaked Ninja
Jan 2 2009, 07:51 AM
GMC:er
So back in September (after over 7 years of being self-taught) I went to the local music store and signed up for lessons. I needed (and to some degree still need) to rekindle that fire I had for playing like when I first started.

I was pretty excited after my first lesson because my instructor is a great player and I was sure I was on to something with these lessons. Now, however, while I still believe I'm getting something out them I'm thinking about quitting because I don't think I'm getting enough out of them to warrant the $20 per weekly half-hour lesson. After all that's nearly 3 months of GMC tuition! biggrin.gif

My major beef is that I'm not being taught any theory. My instructor doesn't know much as he himself is self-taught. He doesn't do tabs either because he's been playing since long before tabs were invented so anything he shows me how to play I have to watch his fingers (and use my ears) and try to play myself. I'm getting better at this, but sometimes, when I'm struggling to follow along, I feel like I'm playing a sadistic game of Simon!

And that's pretty much how our practices go each week. I don't get a homework assignment or a "I want you to work on this for next week". Just a wicked game of Simon!

In fact, after organizing my thoughts about the matter in this post, I think I'm done with this guy. He's always running 15 minutes late so I stand out in the hall while all the other instructors let their students in. I think the main thing I've learned is that just because you're a good player, you're not necessarily a good instructor.

Anyone have similar experiences?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Barenaked Ninja: Jan 2 2009, 08:11 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 2 2009, 08:18 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Barenaked Ninja @ Jan 2 2009, 07:51 AM) *
So back in September (after over 7 years of being self-taught) I went to the local music store and signed up for lessons. I needed (and to some degree still need) to rekindle that fire I had for playing like when I first started.

I was pretty excited after my first lesson because my instructor is a great player and I was sure I was on to something with these lessons. Now, however, while I still believe I'm getting something out them I'm thinking about quitting because I don't think I'm getting enough out of them to warrant the $20 per weekly half-hour lesson. After all that's nearly 3 months of GMC tuition! biggrin.gif

My major beef is that I'm not being taught any theory. My instructor doesn't know much as he himself is self-taught. He doesn't do tabs either because he's been playing since long before tabs were invented so anything he shows me how to play I have to watch his fingers (and use my ears) and try to play myself. I'm getting better at this, but sometimes, when I'm struggling to follow along, I feel like I'm playing a sadistic game of Simon!

And that's pretty much how our practices go each week. I don't get a homework assignment or a "I want you to work on this for next week". Just a wicked game of Simon!

In fact, after organizing my thoughts about the matter in this post, I think I'm done with this guy. He's always running 15 minutes late so I stand out in the hall while all the other instructors let their students in. I think the main thing I've learned is that just because you're a good player, you're not necessarily a good instructor.

Anyone have similar experiences?

If he doesn't do tabs, don't know theory, you get no home assignments and you have to guess what he's playing..
I'd quit, 'cause that's not how it's supposed to be in my opinion smile.gif

He should at least be able to write down and explain the things he's showing you and give you something to practice until next session.

If you're paying for at, you should at least get something back in my opinion smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Jan 2 2009, 08:31 AM
Learning Rock Star
He Barenaked ninja,

I would quit if it doesn't satisfy you.

I wanted to have lesson myself so i looked at the yellow pages. The teacher had a conservatorium degree. And teaches a lot of style. But there was a queue of 1/2 year waiting.

So i googled "guitarlesson on-line" didn't know what to expect, but i was amazed.

I realized that these lesson on the www and especially GMC where of great value:

1) You can enter at any time and place you like: a teacher goes on holiday or can be sick: no lesson;
2) There are video's that you can recall any time you like;
3) There are backing tracks;
4) And there are tab's
5) All kinds of music styles and even theory lesson
6) There is a form and wiki

So for me this are thing a local teacher can't give you. And i am 100% satified by this GMC site.
I think i will have more progression than i would have with a local teacher.

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 2 2009, 09:12 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
What you describe is definitely what should be expected from a guitar teacher and I would indeed quit if I was you.

I am also taking lessons from a guitar teacher, which are for me very useful as it keeps me on a certain track towards becoming an allround musician (often by doing 'simple aspects' of playing, some chords or whatever, which at the moment I have to learn it, I always think why the hell is he teaching me this simple stuff, but 2 months down the line I am always grateful that he did). But he is giving me some homework, supplying me with some materials etc.

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 2 2009, 10:43 AM
Instructor
Barenaked Ninja - you should quit lessons smile.gif

Try to look for teacher who is great in theory and organized with assignments. Most teachers will even give you first trial lesson if you are worried - just talk to them about it.

Its up to you how fast or slow you want your lessons to progress. I am confident you can find teacher real soon and easy.

GMC for 9$ a month is a steal definitely. We can help you out with theory and harmony for sure , and I believe with other things as well - just ask on forums like everybody does. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
HAMWAGON
Jan 2 2009, 11:34 AM
Yeah i would have to agree with alot of the other people here that if those sorts of Things are happening that you should think about quiting. I don't see why he couldn't do Tabs for you since their straight forward But have a think about it all and wether you want to quit Especially if he turns up late too a 30 minute lesson Which i know isnt that long and its $20 for each!

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 2 2009, 12:04 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Just to learn some licks from him, even if there are good, is maybe a bit less what you get in return for your money. On the other side it is depending on what you expect from these lessons. You can find all kind of lessons or informations about theory online now, but i think a real person teacher is necessary from time to time to keep an eye on your technic and to correct bad habits. Motivation can be a point as well.

I think there is nothing wrong with it to change teacher sometimes and learn from each where you think he is good at.
Years back i had a teacher and he was an awesome blues player, but he couldn't explain what he is doing. To have had him for a while in front of me and play with me was somehow helpful.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 2 2009, 05:01 PM
Instructor
I'm with everyone else here mate, that guy is definitely not a very good teacher, based on what you have told us about your sessions. I don't have anything personally against the guy of course, he may be a great player, but being a good teacher requires extra (non-playing) skills, and not every guitar player can do it. Being late at the session more than 3 times is enough reason to release him from that duty I guess, not to mention that he doesn't learn you theory!

The whole point - You should definitely quit and just use GMC. Here you have 63 instructors, some of us are here over the whole day, every day, and you can always get the help you need - and for 30$ for 3 months!! Come oooon! biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jan 2 2009, 08:23 PM
Definitely try another teacher. A good one will quickly pinpoint what you know and what you don't know, and take it from there. I have an irregular schedule so I have to make the most of my sessions, and my teacher is very accomodating to when I can come. He always gives me homework enough to last until next time.

It's very much to your advantage to interview other teachers, or ask around about who's a good one. I found mine on Craigslist.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
chetta2323
Jan 2 2009, 08:48 PM
my first teacher was a bad teacher he hardly even taught me. he kept on going out for smokes during the lesson. I just teach myself now smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jan 2 2009, 10:02 PM
That sounds like a bad teacher. You should quit and find another one. GMC is good, but after over one year from GMC I can honestly say that one or two lessons with mu teacher is worth more than all this time here. It has nothing to do with GMC being bad, but nothing comes close to a good real life teacher. The only problem with that is that really good teachers are incredibly rare and untill you find one of those, GMC is the best option. Even when you have one, GMC is good, but I don't think you should decide that you don't need real lessons just because you have GMC.

This post has been edited by Fsgdjv: Jan 2 2009, 10:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jan 3 2009, 01:41 AM
Instructor
Search for another teacher that suits your need, it may be more expensive but teachers in real life are (or should be) better than vids.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 3 2009, 01:52 AM
IMO quit it, the man is a showman not a teacher...

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 3 2009, 02:07 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Since I found GMC I don't feel the need for a teacher anymore... I mean I know there's SO much I can learn on my own that I actually don't have enough time, neither do I feel I've hit a "wall" where I'd need an actual teacher in the same room to help me develop my playing.

Having said that, if I ever feel like attending real life classes, I will, but I just don't feel the need at all smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Jan 3 2009, 02:39 AM
QUOTE (Barenaked Ninja @ Jan 1 2009, 10:51 PM) *
He doesn't do tabs either because he's been playing since long before tabs were invented...

Really? He was playing guitar in the 14th century? Maybe it's just that his methods are outdated, then... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
FrankW
Jan 3 2009, 02:59 AM
It sounds like you have a teacher who is not prepared to teach. If he can't at least tab out lessons for you, I'd go elsewhere. I don't agree with some of the posts however, that a personal teacher is not necessary. In fact, it is the best way to learn.

A one on one relationship with a good teacher affords the student a critique of his playing, along with the proper suggestions and techniques that particular student needs to advance as a player, in real time.

My students have all the internet access we all do, but value my personal input over any other teaching method, because I am coaching them based on their particular playing level and musical knowledge. There's always a question to be answered, or a suggestion to be made on the spot. That's what they are paying for.

I can sit there and dazzle them with my playing, (they're all mostly beginners, so that's pretty easy), but they're paying me to tutor them and give them homework, and evaluate their progress the following week. They don't always like it, but they appreciate it in the long run.

GMC is a great learning tool and guitar community, but if you can find a good guitar teacher and can afford one, get one. Everything else is just augmentation.

+Quote Post
Canis
Jan 3 2009, 03:40 AM
Learning Rock Star
It depends awfully lot on the teacher.. If he/she has that "spark" that makes you wanna teach, you're doing the right thing ^^

If however, you feel like you're wasting your time, quit ^^

I've been asked several times by friends if I should take some lessons once a week, but my standard response is: "No thanks. I pay the same amount of money, and have a 24/7 open guitar-academy with hundreds of musicians to interact with" smile.gif
But I know that this particular teacher is dull, though... If there was another one in this town as enthusiastic as Kris, for example, I'd take lessons with him wink.gif

This post has been edited by Canis: Jan 3 2009, 03:42 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
Jan 3 2009, 05:22 AM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Jan 2 2009, 08:39 PM) *
Really? He was playing guitar in the 14th century? Maybe it's just that his methods are outdated, then... laugh.gif

lol. I guess internet tabs. Even though they're the same biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Jan 4 2009, 05:57 AM
Instructor
If you can find a teacher that is very versatile i would say try it.

For me though i find that live lessons, even including the few students i have IRL that they are getting one dimesional feedback. I.E. i am making micro-clones of myself.

I am not saying that having live lessons is bad, I myself had live lessons when i was younger. By someone semi-famous (Paul Chapman- from U.F.O.) but by the same token i didnt feel like i was progressing as fast i could be because of the limitations of the instructor. So what i started doing was learning on my own from other guitarists that i associated. Every gig i played i would hook up with guitarists from other bands for an hour or two and trade licks. I felt i got alot more out of that then paying some guy to teach me how to play like they play.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Vaialation1232
Jan 4 2009, 09:28 AM
Learning Rock Star
I think that having an IRL guitar teacher is great when you are just starting because (in most cases) that person will try to stop you from getting bad habits...this will help in the long run...also the personal feedback and set lesson times may help you set deadlines and work hard to practice...however, like you said some teachers are unmotivated and can't teach...

i think that websites like this one (especially since instructors respond so quickly and often) make paying for a personal IRL instructor unnecessary for people who are in the more intermediate and up areas (because the amount i paid for this is = to 1 30 minute lesson...it doesn't matter how good of a teacher they are, that just doesn't add up)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 03:50 AM