About Studying And Practicing
Jean-Marc
Oct 4 2009, 02:32 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hi muris ! My biggest problem is that I don´t really know how I should practice … I don´t really have a sort of plan which I follow….
How do you practice / practiced to get so good ? smile.gif By the way ...I know the lessons of Kristofer ( 101 ) but I want to know how YOU specially managed to get that virtuosic !

And my second question is : I want to study Guitar in Austria… But I don´t know if I should study jazz …or jazz and blues …or popular music ….For example I really like Jazz …but I couldn´t imagine to live without Blues rock and metal.. Is it than a good idea to study jazz ? What would you recommend me …..

I know that you read this the second time..but you asked me to post it in the forum ...

I really hope you can help me .... smile.gif

Greetings Jean

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 5 2009, 01:00 AM
Instructor
Hello Jean and thanks for writing. smile.gif

The things that you're struggling with are pretty tough to be answered just like that
but I will try to share my personal view with you.

When it comes to practicing or studying I'm one of those people
who never actually had a plan or som, I have been doing things "in a walk" all the time.
There are too many different ways on how to become good at something
and it would be very wrong to name only one or few.
But no matter which way you choose it'll always demand lot of hard work and devotion
if you really want to become good at something.
My approach (if we can call it approach) has been something like this:
I hear a solo and I start to learn it, I practice all those licks over and over
and then I stop after a while.
Then I play some random AP licks or legato licks or anything.
So it was like, I go where my intuition takes me, simple as that.
There are people who have plans like 1 hour of picking, then 1 hour of legato,
1 hour of learning theory etc.
I really never did anything like that tho I'm not saying that their ways are wrong, no way,
if it works then it's ok!!!
Main thing is that you have to be aware of your abilities and to set high goals and high standards,
when you do that it should be a lot easier to navigate between what and how much to practice.
Self-criticism they call it but it must be well balanced otherwise we get frustrated too easily. smile.gif

Regarding your studying, I understand your concerns and everything
but let me tell you my story so you could get some extra information. smile.gif
I graduated Music High School which was 100% classical music based school,
no Jazz, no Rock, no Blues....nothing.
I enrolled Music Academy and was studying for 1 year only before I quited.
Now I'm professional musician, I work in studios, play with several bands, Rock, Jazz-Rock, Blues, Funk,
Punk, Traditional Music etc.
My point is, you never know what comes tomorrow and if you study Jazz per example
it doesn't have to be that you're gonna play Jazz only for the rest of your life.
Music is wide area in business and it's not your education that will set your music path, it's you!

Enjoy what you do, do it wisely, make good connections and friendship with people
that you'll be working with and you should be just fine. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Jean-Marc
Oct 5 2009, 11:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Muris !

Thank you a lot ! You really opened my eyes !

I hope I will find such people like you , to play with ...I mean ..you are a really awesome person ..not just that you are one of the greatest guitarists that I ever saw....You are talking from the bottom of your heart when you talk about guitar playing and music in general...thats the reason why I asked you....so again : thanks a lot !

I always practiced intuitionally ...but I always thought it is wrong..or I forget important things...
Now I´m realising what many many guitarists often forget....that music is the one thing that is important not to play 360 bpm or whatever ^^ smile.gif

I know I´m repeating myself but to be frank I´m a lil bit speechless...smile.gif

And before I forget ! Thanks for answering and taking the time for it !

Jean

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 6 2009, 02:33 AM
Instructor
You're most welcome Jean!!

I wish you all the best in your music career
and please do let me know if you think I might help you
with anything else, would be my pleasure. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:16 PM