4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Fgn J-standard Iliad - Ordered!
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 26 2015, 10:07 PM
GMC Founder
I am extremely happy to say I have finally ordered myself a telecaster.

I have wanted one for a very long time, ever since I started doing chicken picking and twangy stuff (or bouncy as I like to say).

I have done some research and I wanted a vintage styled one, soft V-neck style and single coils. For a long time I thought the mexican Fender Baja was my call. And they get a lot of praise.

But then I found this:

Attached Image

The company - FGN/Fujigen - might sound familiar as they produced the original Ibanez line.

This guitar has all the specs I wanted + details I love:

Contoured body - I want to spend a lot of time with instrument, and I care for my ribs.
Attached Image

Contoured neck heel, this makes a huge difference on my strat for high fret access.
Attached Image

More pics here.

When considering I can get this Japan made tele, for aprox $100 cheaper than the mexican Bajas. This was a nobrainer. GAS won and I ordered it for $725 on Thomann.

There aren't that many reviews of the guitar, but I have only found praise - even for the FGN pick-ups.

The guitar also has CFS ( Circle Fretting System ) which supposedly has numerous advantages for string action, intonation and tone. Should be ok, even if its only half as good as advertised.

If I got it right - neck finish is satin, which is something I have wanted for a long time. I hope it will making position shifting smooth for a hand-sweatener like me!

Of course it's a bit of a risk to order a guitar online, but I have faith in Japanese luthiers (and in Thoman's 30 day return policy wink.gif ).

Looking forward to hear your thoughts! Do you think the contours will affect tone (negatively)?

------
Edit - some videos of me playing the guitar:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 26 2015, 10:27 PM
GMC:er
NICE!!!! I must say fine call smile.gif The FUJIGEN shop can swing the bat on the same level as many custom shops these days on nicer guitars. They still hand finish the necks on their nice guitars just like they did in the old days. Can't wait to hear what you think of this axe and hear some recordings! Enjoy smile.gif

Todd

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 26 2015, 11:01 PM
Cool! this is one of those brands that are getting increasingly popular where I live!

I remember a very detailed review (in Turkish) on their Tele model but the site right now is under maintenance, I'll check it out tomorrow to see if there are any interesting comments worth sharing here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 27 2015, 04:27 AM
Good choice!

The headstock's different but the body is very similar to the Mike Stern model Yamaha ... which is a xlnt axe. I think they're made in the same place? Fuji Gen Gakki.
http://cdo.seymourduncan.com/blog/wp-conte...-mike-stern.jpg

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 27 2015, 04:33 AM

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 27 2015, 11:07 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
congrats! never seen those before, looks very cool. Cant wait to see / hear it in action smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 28 2015, 09:55 PM
Found the review but the model was Neo Classic TL, which looks more like a normal Tele. The review was %99 positive but the reviewer didn't seem very proficient.

The only detail I haven't noticed was that the 2 piece body isn't combined evenly (can be noticed from the pic.s you shared) like pretty much all guitars out there, this is a good thing as it should help the guitar to be more resonant. Curious to read your comments smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 28 2015, 10:34 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 28 2015, 09:55 PM) *
The only detail I haven't noticed was that the 2 piece body isn't combined evenly (can be noticed from the pic.s you shared) like pretty much all guitars out there, this is a good thing as it should help the guitar to be more resonant. Curious to read your comments smile.gif

Is this what you are referring to?
Attached Image

I don't know much about this stuff, but I am assuming a one piece body is more desirable (though probably more expensive to produce?)

QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 27 2015, 04:27 AM) *
Good choice!

The headstock's different but the body is very similar to the Mike Stern model Yamaha ... which is a xlnt axe. I think they're made in the same place? Fuji Gen Gakki.
http://cdo.seymourduncan.com/blog/wp-conte...-mike-stern.jpg

Yeah that guitar is absolutely gorgeous. And those pups just scream warm tone à la Stern.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 28 2015, 11:02 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 28 2015, 09:34 PM) *
Is this what you are referring to?
Attached Image

I don't know much about this stuff, but I am assuming a one piece body is more desirable (though probably more expensive to produce?)

Yeah, with such guitars the connection of the neck and body makes a huge difference. Recently someone I knew from the web tightened the bolts on the neck joint on his strat as it seemed a bit loose, he had to go to a luthier later to bring back the tone that was lost smile.gif Since the transfer between the neck and body is so sensitive (for a trained ears) FGN's approach makes sense to me in theory.

1 piece bodys were extremely rare when I was a kid, now I don't think big brands make them anymore (maybe custom shops do). Main reason is today tree's don't grow big (wide) enough before they are cut. PRS rarely releases 1 piece maple top guitars (extremely expensive) but even their bodies as far as I know are 2 piece.

On the other hand, Gibson is known for some sandwich LP guitars they did in the past like; maple back-mahogany middle and maple top and there are people who buy them whenever they appear places like ebay. I guess since glue is so strong, its not necessarily a very bad thing for resonance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 30 2015, 12:24 AM
Most Teles (most Fenders) are 3 piece bodies.
LPs are traditionally a 2 piece mahogany body (sometimes 3, very occasionally 1) with a maple cap (top).
They generally try to do a good job of book matching the grain and in the case of most 2 piece bodies, they won't do a dead center seam. They'll offset it a bit so it's less obvious.

*I've seen 4 and 5 piece LP bodies.
Some of the classic, vintage LPs from the 50s were 2 piece.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 31 2015, 10:34 PM
GMC Founder
Ouch the my guitar has arrived but my schedule does not allow me to get it yet...aarggh the famous NGD could have been last weak already. dry.gif dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 1 2015, 06:38 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 1 2015, 09:51 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Congratulations on the order and info about the guitar. I didn't know about that company from before, don't think they are available locally here in the stores. I like the finish color and black pickguard - it looks so funky! smile.gif Also, I like the fact that it looks like a classic tele yet feels by its features modern which will be a very interesting combo. Can't wait to see it in action, will there be some mean country chicken pickin licks in store? laugh.gif Really wonder if the tone character of the guitar will "call on its own" for some plucking and aggressive hybrid picking.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 1 2015, 10:39 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 1 2015, 09:51 PM) *
Congratulations on the order and info about the guitar. I didn't know about that company from before, don't think they are available locally here in the stores.

Yeah nothing ever is... Does Thomann work for Serbia or are taxes killing it?

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 1 2015, 09:51 PM) *
Can't wait to see it in action, will there be some mean country chicken pickin licks in store? laugh.gif Really wonder if the tone character of the guitar will "call on its own" for some plucking and aggressive hybrid picking.

Yes I am certainly hoping so, I have flirted with country several times throughout the years but I have been somewhat discouraged by not having access to that classic tele twang, fingers crossed this is the solution!

I should hopefully get it tomorrow! ph34r.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 2 2015, 08:37 AM
Learning Roadie
Bruce Bouillet (Paul Gilbert's guitar partner in crime from Racer X) plays their guitars, so you are in good company!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 2 2015, 08:40 PM
GMC Founder
Got it!!! First some pics, I'll share my impressions later

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 2 2015, 09:14 PM
Congrats! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Apr 2 2015, 09:33 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Congratulations Kristofer! Hope you enjoy your new piece of gear smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 2 2015, 10:10 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks guys - some first impressions ( I have only played it for 30 minutes earlier today).

All seems good except playability, string action is way high for me! This was kinda expected though, FGN state on their website only their expert line (more expensive) get the low action setup.

But the problem is I have to decide if I want to keep it and get it professionally setup. I am sucker for PLEK and you can even get a compound radius with this method.

However I don't want to be investing a PLEK on this guitar unless I dig how it sounds. And it does sound cool unplugged, but when I plug it in I get confused. However this was the whole plan - it sounds different than any other guitar I have (because I have never had a tele). So I have to spend some more time with it before deciding.

Other observations:

* Sating neck rocks, I want it on all my guitars now. Position shifting feels effortless!

* Neck shape is a non extreme D-shape, so not quite as thick as my Les Paul. I'll need some getting-used-to here as well.

* it's super lightweight!

* finish is awesome, neck joint feels solid

* pickup selector feels a bit shaky and weak.

* The guitar is comfortable to play with its different body and neck joint contours

* it came with a seymour Duncan and not the the advertised FGN pup blink.gif blink.gif will email Thoman about that

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 2 2015, 10:52 PM
From the pictures it looks like a SD Vintage Stack (noiseless)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 3 2015, 08:02 AM
GMC Founder
You're right it does look like those.

Btw I just saw this, it seems I got the modelled copy from Thoman's site. Wood structure on the back is indeed identical. Pretty cool!

Attached Image

I should also add that I haven't even tried lowering the saddles yet, if I am lucky I can get decent action without bringing it to a luthier. I should say I have never had much success doing these adjustments by myself in the past, though.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:13 AM