32 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Adams Bootcamp, Time to Fight Soldier!
Adam
Mar 26 2019, 12:24 AM
Learning Roadie

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 26 2019, 05:22 AM
GMC:er
Well Fought Soldier!!! This one is a LONG haul. It's about endurance. The good news is that you have worked up your endurance to a very good level. It takes time and effort to get one's endurance level up to par. You've earned it! Let's Debrief!! MEDALS OF HONOR

STAMINA: The name of the game and the entire point of this mission.

TECHNIQUE:
Your technique is on point Soldier!! There are a lot of moving parts here so that is saying quite a bit.

AGGRESSIVE STYLE:
You attack each drill with verve. Score!!

This is one that burns the arm off of many a fine Soldier. You didn't even break a sweat!!!! You are fighting your way through the thick of it! Keep it up!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 25 2019, 07:24 PM) *

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 27 2019, 01:36 AM
Learning Roadie
This stuff here is really tough to do. Today's mission's last section was a real pain when I had to switch pattern in a split second but that part was also a challenge by itself!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 27 2019, 03:07 AM
This one is about as tough as they come Soldier! It requires you to summon your talent at will and then expand on it. There is no gap to allow you a moment to make changes in hand position, so you gotta play this stuff correct or it just won't play. You have developed very solid technique so you were able to pull it off!! Let's Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

CLEAN AS A WHISTLE: Not a note out of place, not a finger out of fret range. Precision is the key to speed. Speed is just a byproduct of precision and repetition of precision = speed.

QUIET AS DEATH:
This bit covers most of the strings in fast traverse. This requires good muting of nearly every string, while playing them. It's hard to keep these bits from being noisey but you do it!

SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE: You attacked the Mission with Verve and Aggression. That's what I like to see. No pause, no doubts, just FULL BORE!!!

In short you just killed it and ..

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

You continue to impress me with your sheer will power Soldier!!! These are getting tough but you are pushing through!!!! Keep it up!!! You are getting closer to the magic barrier every day!
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 26 2019, 08:36 PM) *
This stuff here is really tough to do. Today's mission's last section was a real pain when I had to switch pattern in a split second but that part was also a challenge by itself!

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 27 2019, 11:12 PM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 28 2019, 04:10 AM
Impressive Work Soldier!! This one requires some serious stretching and some serious pinky work in addition to serious picking and muting, and tapping. In short, it requires a bit of nearly everything we have been working on. You may have noticed that these upper level Missions require quite of bit from you. They are designed to push you and your abilities. Let's Debrief!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

PINKY POWER: This really leans on the pinky for each one. If your pinky is not up to speed, these just don't work. You have earned it with the small finger Soldier!!

TRAVERSE LIKE A WYLDE MAN: This one requires non stop string traverse. Being able to get from string to string without tripping up and losing the beat, and without making wads of string noise is an Art form. It's an Art you have learned well!!
PRECISION: It's all about precision and you display plenty of it here.

These are NOT easy bits. Soldier. You play them well!!! Keep pushing to the very edge of your ability in terms of speed as that's where growth happens!! As for this, one, stick a fork in it! It's Done!!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 27 2019, 06:12 PM) *

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 29 2019, 01:56 AM
Learning Roadie
I got the guitar! Maybe I'll make a separate post about it but let me just say it's just as good as Prestige RG's I've tried. It's very comfortable and the neck is super thin. There's not only 24 frets but also they are easier accessible (in my SG and LP reaching the highest frets is near impossible). They don't look like Jumbos but that's fine. The action is really low, even lower than in my SG which I thought was already too low but somehow I'm okay with that. The stock pickups sound great but I'll probably swap them on occasion. I expected it to be heavy and a bit larger, like a bass maybe, but it's just a little heavy and quite short. But there's one quite serious problem. How do I palm mute a Floyd-type bridge? I'll try finding that sweet spot tomorrow or I can't use it for lessons until then. But overall, I'm very happy with it! smile.gif Great value for the money spent and it's like a brand new too. No signs of ever being used.

Now on to the Mission:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 29 2019, 05:21 AM
Gere us a better copy of all of the guitar pro files for this mission!

Attached File  73FIX.zip ( 119.07K ) Number of downloads: 317

Congrats on your new AXE!!! As for muting on a floyd rose, I LOVE doing it. It's my fave bridge for palm muting to be honest. IT has a flat top that lets you mute without sharp things poking in to your hand. Just rest the heel of your palm as you usually would for muting on the flat part where you see the strings go in. Once you find the sweet spot, it's great. I really hate muting on other types of bridges as there are always bits poking in to my hand. Let's talk Debrief!!!!
MEALS OF HONOR
PINKY RULES: Great to see you using the pinky whenever possible. One can't get enough practice imho using the pinky. So the more the better.

SYNCHING FEELING: Hand synch is the key to speed. If you can't get your hands doing the same thing at the same time, you cant play fast. It's that simple. Your hands have very tight synch. keep pushing your speed as you go!
COMPLEX PATTERNS: I'm throwing lots of complex patterns at you to force you to memorize strange bits and be able to play them back. It's easy to get notes confused when there are so many. Not you! Notes where they should be!
You are killing it Soldier!! It's gonna get a bit tricky soon but you are ready!!!

You just...
LEVELED UP!!!
*You are almost 3/4 to triple digits!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 28 2019, 08:56 PM) *
I got the guitar! Maybe I'll make a separate post about it but let me just say it's just as good as Prestige RG's I've tried. It's very comfortable and the neck is super thin. There's not only 24 frets but also they are easier accessible (in my SG and LP reaching the highest frets is near impossible). They don't look like Jumbos but that's fine. The action is really low, even lower than in my SG which I thought was already too low but somehow I'm okay with that. The stock pickups sound great but I'll probably swap them on occasion. I expected it to be heavy and a bit larger, like a bass maybe, but it's just a little heavy and quite short. But there's one quite serious problem. How do I palm mute a Floyd-type bridge? I'll try finding that sweet spot tomorrow or I can't use it for lessons until then. But overall, I'm very happy with it! smile.gif Great value for the money spent and it's like a brand new too. No signs of ever being used.

Now on to the Mission:

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 27 2020, 08:41 PM

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 29 2019, 08:57 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 29 2019, 05:21 AM) *
Congrats on your new AXE!!! As for muting on a floyd rose, I LOVE doing it. It's my fave bridge for palm muting to be honest. IT has a flat top that lets you mute without sharp things poking in to your hand. Just rest the heel of your palm as you usually would for muting on the flat part where you see the strings go in. Once you find the sweet spot, it's great. I really hate muting on other types of bridges as there are always bits poking in to my hand.

I think I'm getting the hang of it after today's practice. It's just so different than TOM-type I'm used to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 30 2019, 06:16 AM
Well Fought!!! This Mission has the dreaded "PINKY SLIDE" and it has multi picking. It's got some really tricky bits. You were not thrown off at all!! Great to see that you can dive in to the advanced Missions and just KILL IT!!!!! Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
PINKY SLIDE: This is an advanced technique to be sure. Being able to slide with the weakest finger allows you to play wads of licks that require the pinky reach. Score!
MULTI PICKING: Being able to double pick (two strikes per note) as well as triple and quad pick, is yet another way to add to your personal bag of tricks. You can take any lick you like, and multi pick it and it gives the lick a different feel. Double Score!
SHEER AGGRESSION: You have jumped in to the fray with both feet Soldier. You have not let off, you have stuck with it. You have freaking EARNED IT!! TRIPLE SCORE!!
In short, yet another one for the books!! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 29 2019, 03:57 PM) *
I think I'm getting the hang of it after today's practice. It's just so different than TOM-type I'm used to.

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 31 2019, 12:41 AM
Learning Roadie
I feel quite bad now. I've been practicing daily but I don't seem to become any faster not just in the pieces that I'm new to because that's understandable but also in the pieces I'm familiar with. Am I doing something wrong? I feel like I'm not pushing hard enough but then I can't get past certain bpm's over a night.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 31 2019, 03:24 AM
Not to worry Soldier. It takes time. It's a step by step thing. Pushing your speed one BPM at a time on a metronome takes a great deal of work. Once you know a pattern, say one that your hands feely comfortable playing. Keep that pattern as a speed test and play it often. Try to push past your previous practice session BPM by 1 BPM. If that works, push by 2 BPM and so on until it starts to fall apart. Only at the very edge of your ability will you make progress on your speed. The Missions are teaching your hands how to move and stay in synch and play various techniques. One evening with a given Mission is enough to learn and play the Mission. Getting faster on any given bit of music means repetition. Lots of repetition. Once your hands get used to playing briskly, you'll be able to apply it to everything new that you learn. So try to pick something, a scale, a pattern, something that feels comfy and play it each time you practice for a while and try to bump the metronome. Of course, this requires that you play with the metronome during this kind of work. Some folks find that tedious. Some folks find practice tedious. But then again, if it were easy, eveyrone would shred like a God from the moment they picked up the guitar. You are putting in the work Soldier. It's probably time to add that one drill that you use to push your BPM and spend some time on it each day. After a while, you can add another pattern/scale what not and do the same. It's just practice that separates Paul Gilbert from the rest of us smile.gif Well, practice and his freakishly long pinky!

Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

PINKY POWER: This one is all about pinky power and you really stick the landing! This is impressive just by itself. Score!

REAAAACH: This one requires a big stretch and you nail it!!!

TECHNIQUES O PLENTY: All of your previous work leading up to this is on display. Muting, hand synch, strikes, it's all there.

This is one of the toughest of the entire series. There are so many moving parts going on and you nailed it!!! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 30 2019, 07:41 PM) *
I feel quite bad now. I've been practicing daily but I don't seem to become any faster not just in the pieces that I'm new to because that's understandable but also in the pieces I'm familiar with. Am I doing something wrong? I feel like I'm not pushing hard enough but then I can't get past certain bpm's over a night.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 31 2019, 06:01 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 31 2019, 10:30 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 31 2019, 03:24 AM) *
Not to worry Soldier. It takes time. It's a step by step thing. Pushing your speed one BPM at a time on a metronome takes a great deal of work. Once you know a pattern, say one that your hands feely comfortable playing. Keep that pattern as a speed test and play it often. Try to push past your previous practice session BPM by 1 BPM. If that works, push by 2 BPM and so on until it starts to fall apart. Only at the very edge of your ability will you make progress on your speed. The Missions are teaching your hands how to move and stay in synch and play various techniques. One evening with a given Mission is enough to learn and play the Mission. Getting faster on any given bit of music means repetition. Lots of repetition. Once your hands get used to playing briskly, you'll be able to apply it to everything new that you learn. So try to pick something, a scale, a pattern, something that feels comfy and play it each time you practice for a while and try to bump the metronome. Of course, this requires that you play with the metronome during this kind of work. Some folks find that tedious. Some folks find practice tedious. But then again, if it were easy, eveyrone would shred like a God from the moment they picked up the guitar. You are putting in the work Soldier. It's probably time to add that one drill that you use to push your BPM and spend some time on it each day. After a while, you can add another pattern/scale what not and do the same. It's just practice that separates Paul Gilbert from the rest of us smile.gif Well, practice and his freakishly long pinky!

Thank you, I'll do my best! It makes perfect sense that achieving PG's level is reserved for those willing to do the hard work smile.gif

My brother got sick and went to bed early, so I did today's mission without any distortion to keep things quiet. I tried pushing the speed a bit, though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 1 2019, 04:46 AM
No worries Soldier! I hope your Brother gets well soon!!! This Mission takes the open string idea and moves it way up the neck. These licks get way trickier when you do them up near the 12th fret and beyond. Some guitars don't have great action when playing the upper decks, this can make this even more tricky. You seem to have no trouble at all! Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

PICK ARTICULATION: This one is Looooong and when the arm gets tired, it starts to do wacky things, like pick from the elbow. The good news is that you have worked up some serious stamina Soldier! Not once did I see you picking from elbow. Good news is that you don't fall victim to this!

DUAL MUTE: You use both hands to keep string noise at bay which is needed when doing bits with traverse. You keep your picking hand planted and steady and use your fretting hand as a back up mute, just as it should be.

SYNCH: Your right and left hand synch is getting better and better. Your precision is increasing and as a result so is your speed ( a byproduct of precision ). Keep it up and keep pushing the envelope! You are getting better with each Mission Soldier. Keep it up! You are past the 3/4 mark on the way to TRIPLE DIGITS. You've adapted to each new technique along the way. Nice!! In other words you just... LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Sarge

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 1 2019, 04:47 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 2 2019, 12:20 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 1 2019, 04:46 AM) *
No worries Soldier! I hope your Brother gets well soon!!! This Mission takes the open string idea and moves it way up the neck. These licks get way trickier when you do them up near the 12th fret and beyond. Some guitars don't have great action when playing the upper decks, this can make this even more tricky. You seem to have no trouble at all!

My brother is quite the fighter. He's got a fever and is generally weakened but he's adamant about going to school tomorrow (he's got a gig there). Just like yesterday, he went to bed, so I didn't use distortion not to disturb him - I had to use as little volume as possible, actually. I just hope you can hear what there is to be heard smile.gif

I was browsing the GMC lessons, looking for a challenge and I came across an old Blind Guardian lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...n-style-lesson/
It uses few patterns we are working on in the Bootcamp, so I might give it a try!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 2 2019, 06:15 AM
Well Fought Yet again!! This one is looooooooooong. It's got more moving parts than a race car engine. This one is meant to push your pinky, push your endurance and push you mental ability to remember complex patterns and shapes that are all somewhat similar, but all a bit different. It's quite easy to let one bleed in to the next. Not so for you! Let's Debrief... MEDALS OF HONOR

TECHNIQUE: I don't see any gaps worth mentioning. You are well prepared for the road ahead soldier. You have absorbed tons of techniques and you are ready for more!

AGGRESSION ON POINT: There is no timidity in your playing. No sense of uncertainty. This is something that is very important. You are playing with confidence as it should be.

STYLE COMING THROUGH: Even though these licks are guided, you are able to put your own spin on them which is awesome. Some you do clean, some semi dirty, etc. Focus on allowing your inner sense of the notes/music, to pervade your playing as you go forward.

Attached Image

Soldier, you have passed through the Ring of Fire and walk the path of the Warrior. It's time for ..

It's your focus and concentration that is your best ally as you continue your fight!! Fight on!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 1 2019, 07:20 PM) *
My brother is quite the fighter. He's got a fever and is generally weakened but he's adamant about going to school tomorrow (he's got a gig there). Just like yesterday, he went to bed, so I didn't use distortion not to disturb him - I had to use as little volume as possible, actually. I just hope you can hear what there is to be heard smile.gif

I was browsing the GMC lessons, looking for a challenge and I came across an old Blind Guardian lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...n-style-lesson/
It uses few patterns we are working on in the Bootcamp, so I might give it a try!

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 2 2019, 10:59 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 2 2019, 06:15 AM) *
Well Fought Yet again!! This one is looooooooooong. It's got more moving parts than a race car engine. This one is meant to push your pinky, push your endurance and push you mental ability to remember complex patterns and shapes that are all somewhat similar, but all a bit different. It's quite easy to let one bleed in to the next. Not so for you!
Soldier, you have passed through the Ring of Fire and walk the path of the Warrior. It's time for ..

It's your focus and concentration that is your best ally as you continue your fight!! Fight on!!
Sarge

I'm really sorry but I don't get this reference. I haven't seen this movie sad.gif But I do get the message!

I liked the bonus section and decided to add something to the mix.

This post has been edited by Adam M: Apr 2 2019, 11:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 3 2019, 04:16 AM
The movie is called DUNE. It's based on the book of the same name. It's a bit of a huge sci fi cheese fest, but I really love that Movie smile.gif It's effects are very dated as it's quite old. Still a very watch. Give it a go if you get a chance smile.gif The clip is just about being able to focus ones mind which I think you got. Onward!
Good work here Soldier. I notice you didn't use any distortion on most of it then added distortion for the chord bits at the end. I hope your bro is feeling better? These licks that live at the upper portion of the neck are intended to show any gaps in your palm mute. If you don't have any distortion, there isn't much to mute. Hopefully your bro gets well so you can use some distortion on these next few Missions as I'd like to see you play some of these with a bit of gain. Still, life goes on so let's work with what we have here and Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

NOT TENSING:
It's instinctive to tense up when playing something one is not certain about or when playing a bit brisk. Sadly, this is THE WORST thing one can do. It's an AWFUL habit that simply wrecks ones ability to make progress. The good news is that you have learned to play without "tensing up", at least, it looks like you are not. This is a very good thing.

NOT ELBOW PICKING: Picking from the elbow is a cardinal sin IMHO. The good news is that you never make that sin. You have learned to pick from the fingers back instead of the elbow forward. This is the key to unlocking the precision / speed that all of us have within us.

NOT RUSHING/LAGGING:
. Folks often don't lock to the beat, even if that beat is just their own internal metronome. Some folks never develop an internal metronome. So you can hear them rush/lag when no drums/click is present. Most of these folks simply can't play/record without that click track going for example, when using their daw. Having an internal Metronome is crucial to being able to actually play music with other musicians.

BONUS: Nailed it! That bonus lick is what some of the licks before it were actually based on smile.gif Good ear!!!
In short you just...
LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 2 2019, 05:59 PM) *
I'm really sorry but I don't get this reference. I haven't seen this movie sad.gif But I do get the message!

I liked the bonus section and decided to add something to the mix.

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 3 2019, 04:14 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 3 2019, 04:16 AM) *
The movie is called DUNE. It's based on the book of the same name. It's a bit of a huge sci fi cheese fest, but I really love that Movie smile.gif It's effects are very dated as it's quite old. Still a very watch. Give it a go if you get a chance smile.gif The clip is just about being able to focus ones mind which I think you got. Onward!
Good work here Soldier. I notice you didn't use any distortion on most of it then added distortion for the chord bits at the end. I hope your bro is feeling better? These licks that live at the upper portion of the neck are intended to show any gaps in your palm mute. If you don't have any distortion, there isn't much to mute. Hopefully your bro gets well so you can use some distortion on these next few Missions as I'd like to see you play some of these with a bit of gain. Still, life goes on so let's work with what we have here and Debrief!!

I'm more into books and a local library seems to have one, so I'll definitely try it someday!
Thank you for asking! My brother seems to feel better now, at least he doesn't have the high temperature.
I didn't use the distortion because at the first exercise you said to use little or no distortion for grading it. I'm not sure if you meant the whole set or just that one exercise but I enjoy playing clean tone as much as distorted, so that's not a problem for me smile.gif

You said previously that the Bonus section isn't for grading but to add something extra to my arsenal and once I identified what kind of riff that is... well, distortion is a must in such cases! About that Master's riff, I've been using this and similar Metallica riffs as a warm-up before joining GMC and finally I can play the riff fast enough. But I can only do this once before I run out of stamina and need to relax my left hand. I was going to ask for some tips for building the stamina and relaxing muscles but I think it's the same as you said in the other thread (BFMV - Waking the Demon). I'm looking forward to the progress!

Edit: I thought Djent is just a phase that eventually dies out, like many other and I only know the name - no details at all.

This post has been edited by Adam M: Apr 3 2019, 09:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 4 2019, 04:36 AM
THUMBLESS TECHNIQUE!!!!! This one really throws some folks for a loop. Not you!!!! Playing without the thumb is a great way to re set the pressure on your fingers. A complicated pattern sometimes causes the hand to tense up. Much like that Master of puppets licks. The key is to stay loose so that you can keep playing without your hand burning out. Any lick that is causing tension, try it a pinch slower and without your thumb on the neck. Without the thumb, you can't "over pressure" your hand since there is no longer a thumb to create pressure with. smile.gif Once you can play the given lick without the thumb, gently lay the thumb back on the neck just as a guide, not as something to pull against. This one trick can open up WADS of ability that you didn't know you had!
As for gain, just a pinch is enough. Playing entirely clean sometimes doesn't create the same problems as playing with some distortion. Distortion can amplify any mistakes. So just a bit is often handy to allow any mistake to be plainly audible. Too much gain and one looses clarity.

Let's Debrief!!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

CLEAN AS GLASS:
Just memorizing all of this crazy stuff can be a challenge. Playing it well even more so. Nice!!
QUIET AS DEATH: Your palm muting just keeps getting better. You are able to mute and lift with great efficiency which provides a great sense of dynamics to you playing.
MEMORY MAN: How many drills/riffs can I stuff in to one Mission? Now you know! You didn't back away, you dove right in and plowed through. SUPER SCORE!!!

You are burning towards TRIPLE DIGITS!!!

You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 3 2019, 11:14 AM) *
I'm more into books and a local library seems to have one, so I'll definitely try it someday!
Thank you for asking! My brother seems to feel better now, at least he doesn't have the high temperature.
I didn't use the distortion because at the first exercise you said to use little or no distortion for grading it. I'm not sure if you meant the whole set or just that one exercise but I enjoy playing clean tone as much as distorted, so that's not a problem for me smile.gif

You said previously that the Bonus section isn't for grading but to add something extra to my arsenal and once I identified what kind of riff that is... well, distortion is a must in such cases! About that Master's riff, I've been using this and similar Metallica riffs as a warm-up before joining GMC and finally I can play the riff fast enough. But I can only do this once before I run out of stamina and need to relax my left hand. I was going to ask for some tips for building the stamina and relaxing muscles but I think it's the same as you said in the other thread (BFMV - Waking the Demon). I'm looking forward to the progress!

Edit: I thought Djent is just a phase that eventually dies out, like many other and I only know the name - no details at all.

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:23 PM