Hot Blues lick. Technique help please
fretdancer
Jul 12 2006, 09:31 AM
GMC:er
Hi Kris, (or others)

I am struggling a little with the "octave" section. In your video I cannot hear any muted strings but clearly you must be doing a lot of muting, you appear in the video to strum all six strings...is that how you do it?

I cannot see in the video how you finger that run either, it looks like you are using your forefinger on the 5th string and your pinkie on the 3rd string? and using your second and ring finger to do the muting?..is that how you do it?..I have tried but cannot get anything like the sound you demonstrate in that section. Perhaps "speed" helps - I am playing it quite slowly as when I speed up it sounds awfull as my fingers slip off the strings during the sliding.

I can perform the rest of the licks OK, just need a little polish and practice but that section at the start really seems difficult to master.

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 12 2006, 10:19 AM
GMC Founder
All the muting is done with the left hand fingers - make sure to flatten them...

We had a thread about this where BollyRotten commented the problem - does anyone know where it is?

/Kris

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Jul 12 2006, 10:27 AM
Kris,

I will look for the other thread.

When I say "finger" I mean fret. How, with the left hand do you fret it - do you use the pinky and forefinger to fret strings 3 & 5?

I have been practicing it and find I can just about do it now but I use my ring finger and first finger to fret the strings as I just cant seem to do it using my pinky very well.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 12 2006, 10:49 AM
GMC Founder
index-and-pinky fingering facilitates the flattening a lot - so I recomend it! smile.gif

+Quote Post
BollyRotten
Jul 26 2006, 04:02 PM
only just noticed this thread!

was this the thread you were lookin for? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/memberson...ighlight=#14961

I had/ still have problems with the slide muting bottom E etc.
Its just practice and patience, the latter i have none of! lol :sun
BollyR

--------------------
I need more fingers!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:54 PM