Guitar Help!, Guitar Modification......
iainsteward
Feb 13 2009, 01:07 PM
GMC:er
Hey Guys,

I have a Squier strat, that just wasnt getting used anymore. I have recently decided that I want to modify it, make it a better guitar, and here is what I want to do:

1. Change colour from creamy white to Candy Apple Red
2. Apply new scratchplate that I have already bought, its a silver one with black tortoise shell mmmm!!
3. Put on a new maple neck!

My problem is I only know how to do the neck and scratchplate, what do I do about the paint? I want to do it myself but don't know how to go about it, also I want to put a Floyd Rose onto it, how do I go about doing this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Many Thanks,
Iain!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Feb 13 2009, 01:41 PM
Painting and putting on a floyd rose is pretty much work, and can easily be ruined, but if you are willing to try, it might be a winner! Sanding the body to get a good finish takes days!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Feb 15 2009, 07:20 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I agree, we are talking about a pretty big job here that might not really be easy. Are you sure you want to go for it all alone?

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
sted
Feb 15 2009, 08:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thats a lot of work for a Squier strat! And it wont sound any better, why not go for some custom PUP's instead?

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 15 2009, 11:50 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Maybe this link will help you to get some informations:HERE
The paint job is indeed a lot of work. Maybe you want to do your first experiences with that(?), otherwise you can easily find a squire or strat body on ebay in the color you like. It even might be cheaper ..

+Quote Post
Canis
Feb 16 2009, 12:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
A Squier isn't the best guitar to do it on unless you change pickups, tuners ect.. I own one as well, and it's just collecting dust since it sounds like a mans head hitting a wall compared to my Schecter... tongue.gif

If you wanna make your own neck, though, here's a fret calculator a friend of mine used when he built his own guitar. Just press the "Online Version" and follow the instructions ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 16 2009, 02:08 AM
Instructor
Changing the neck, machine heads, pickguard, pickups, tremolo, and knobs are the things that are easy to do and can look very effectively on the guitar when upgraded. I would advise that you don't do a paint job or floyd rose installation cause it costs too much and it requires a lot of effort.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Feb 16 2009, 04:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (iainsteward @ Feb 13 2009, 07:07 AM) *
Hey Guys,

I have a Squier strat, that just wasnt getting used anymore. I have recently decided that I want to modify it, make it a better guitar, and here is what I want to do:

1. Change colour from creamy white to Candy Apple Red
2. Apply new scratchplate that I have already bought, its a silver one with black tortoise shell mmmm!!
3. Put on a new maple neck!

My problem is I only know how to do the neck and scratchplate, what do I do about the paint? I want to do it myself but don't know how to go about it, also I want to put a Floyd Rose onto it, how do I go about doing this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Many Thanks,
Iain!!

I am a do it yourself kind of guy, even if it costs me more money than having it done by someone else, to me it is always a fun and rewarding experience to try things for myself.

I paint my own guitars, change necks, pickups, etc..

If you are this kind of person, go for it, probably a good guitar to test with, you wouldn't want to try this on an expensive guitar.

The site given above is a good place to start, read a lot, and expect mistakes, this is OK, it is a learning experience, after you make your mistakes you will have learned and will probably dare to do it on a second and a third, and you will get better.

I have played 3 guitars painted by me in the GMC lessons

The green strat I use a lot: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/slow-rock-guitar-solo/

The Blueburst strat: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato-rock-solo/

The Green Blueburst over quilt maple: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ck-guitar-solo/

That was the order in which I did them, and there is improvement from one finish to the next, the first one is really crappy, but I haven't redone it, because I think the guitar still looks cool.

If you want to give it a shot and need help don't hesitate to ask.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 16 2009, 07:06 PM
QUOTE (iainsteward @ Feb 13 2009, 12:07 PM) *

Take your time with the preparation for painting! sand off the existing paint, seal the Body and then apply a Primer coat, sand back with very fine Sandpaper. Apply another Primer Coat and sand back again. Apply a coat of C A Red and sand back. Repeat this with the Top Coat until you have 5 or 6 coats. Finally, apply laquer, sand back, Laquer, sand, laquer, sand, laquer etc until the desired finish is achieved. I did a Strat once that ended up with 33 Coats of Laquer on it!!!!
smile.gif

I really wouldn't bother about installing a Floyd Rose as you'd need to Rout the Body for it. Unless you're confident you can do this!!!

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Feb 16 2009, 07:08 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
iainsteward
Feb 17 2009, 03:20 AM
Hi guys,
Thank you so much for the replies. I am wanting to do the modificiations to this guitar, because it is special to me, it was my first guitar bought for me by my father. I will be changing the pickups, maybe to some DiMarzio single coils or the EMG singles, I have not decided yet. Thanks Jose for the advice, and I am sure the moment I get stuck you will be recieving questions smile.gif

Also, sensible jones your post was very helpful too.....I will keep you all updated with my progress and take lots of photos.

All the best,
Iain!

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Feb 17 2009, 01:10 PM
Instructor
If you don't use that guitar anymore there's nothing to lose then smile.gif

Go for it and experiment, there are lot of resources and articles on the net with detailed instructions, keep us updated smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 17 2009, 01:57 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Its a big project and you will gain lots of experience by doing it...

Looking forward to seeing some pictures and info on how it goes...Good luck! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 17 2009, 02:15 PM
QUOTE (iainsteward @ Feb 17 2009, 02:20 AM) *
Also, sensible jones your post was very helpful too.....I will keep you all updated with my progress and take lots of photos.

All the best,
Iain!

No problem Iain! If you need any more advice/help don't hesitate to ask!

If you're going to go for DiMarzio's I'd recommend putting an Yngwie Signature in the middle position with whichever other P/Ups you decide to install! Awesome sounding P/Up!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 17 2009, 08:08 PM
Instructor
I always recommend the same books when the topic involve some lutherie stuff.

Dennis Waring & David Raymond - Make Your Own Electric Guitar & Bass
Martin Koch - Building Electric Guitars
Dan Erlewine - Guitar Player Repair Guide

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 18 2009, 07:50 AM
I was gonna do the same thing, cept i got lazy haha.

For painting... I ran into this site:

http://www.bradsucks.net/archives/2006/05/...ainting-part-1/

Seems like he did a pretty decent job... so more power to you if you accomplish this! I'd definitely like to hear about your results!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:38 AM