Help Me Sweep, Palm muting
Opetholic
Jun 6 2012, 08:57 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
Hello GMCers,

I need some serious help with sweep picking. It turns out I need to be able to palm mute unwanted noise from previous notes while sweeping. But sweeping is a dynamical motion, your picking hand goes up and down. Suppose you are doing a 3 string sweep and you start with G string. After you play the note on G string you go down with sweeping motion to the B string, how on earth do you palm mute the G string??

I desperately need to see a video where this is executed. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
O.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SCProphet
Jun 6 2012, 09:12 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jun 6 2012, 07:57 AM) *
Hello GMCers,

I need some serious help with sweep picking. It turns out I need to be able to palm mute unwanted noise from previous notes while sweeping. But sweeping is a dynamical motion, your picking hand goes up and down. Suppose you are doing a 3 string sweep and you start with G string. After you play the note on G string you go down with sweeping motion to the B string, how on earth do you palm mute the G string??

I desperately need to see a video where this is executed. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
O.

I found this out with the help of John Petrucci in an article he did on sweep picking for a guitar website

http://www.guitarworld.com/clean-sweep-mas...s-john-petrucci

Basicly how I do it, when I sweep down (from low to high notes) I use the flesh of my hand to mute the strings, To find the spot where you do this without muting the string you actualy want to hit is just practice. First put you hand on your strings like you are palmmuting them all, then pick the sweep pattern you want , for example a major E arpeggio on 5 strings

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/images/sc...00000000000.jpg

First start by sweeping 2 notes , for example the low E and the G # then stop there, but keep your fingers in position. Then with your pick , hit the A string (where you played the E note) and it should sound muted. If this is the case, good job, proceed to playing the same arpeggio with 3 notes (E , G# and B ) (still on the A, D and G string) and do the same, play the 3 notes and check if the previous notes are both muted. Do this untill you sweep the entire arpeggio.

If you wanna sweep up (from high to low) then you have to mute with your left hand. Do the steps as with the up sweeping but mute the strings with your fingers. You do this by moving the finger that is on the string that you just hit a bit up after you have hit the note.

Was this comprehensible ?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SCProphet: Jun 6 2012, 09:12 AM

--------------------
- First Sweep , Then Sleep -

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jun 6 2012, 09:18 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jun 6 2012, 07:57 AM) *
how on earth do you palm mute the G string??

When I sweep, I don't palm mute, I "thumb mute" smile.gif Just keep your picking hand close to the strings and you should be able to "thumb mute" the lower strings while ascending. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jun 6 2012, 09:23 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
Thanks guys for both explanations/suggestions. I will see what I can do.. I am very frustrated though sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jun 6 2012, 09:27 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jun 6 2012, 08:23 AM) *
Thanks guys for both explanations/suggestions. I will see what I can do.. I am very frustrated though sad.gif

Don't be! It's a hard technique. VERY HARD! I'm only able to do the most basic sweeps, and to learn them I had to repeat the same thing over and over and over... it takes time!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SCProphet
Jun 6 2012, 10:51 AM
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jun 6 2012, 08:27 AM) *
Don't be! It's a hard technique. VERY HARD! I'm only able to do the most basic sweeps, and to learn them I had to repeat the same thing over and over and over... it takes time!

Dinaga is right, It takes alot of time, I've been practicing this technique for over 3 Years and its only been 8 months since I've really made progress. How? well I credit it all to Ben Higgins

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Power-Of-Mini-Sweeps/

I practiced this lesson untill I could the 2 string sweeps at about 160 bpm, and then I started with 3 string sweeps. It really helped me alot . The hardest part of sweeping is not the fingering or the speed, its placing your pick, your fingers and your hands correctly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jun 6 2012, 11:04 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (SCProphet @ Jun 6 2012, 09:51 AM) *
Dinaga is right, It takes alot of time, I've been practicing this technique for over 3 Years and its only been 8 months since I've really made progress. How? well I credit it all to Ben Higgins

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Power-Of-Mini-Sweeps/

I practiced this lesson untill I could the 2 string sweeps at about 160 bpm, and then I started with 3 string sweeps. It really helped me alot . The hardest part of sweeping is not the fingering or the speed, its placing your pick, your fingers and your hands correctly.

I practiced that lesson also, I have a REC take of it. I am ok with the left or right hand motions and synchronization but I can't avoid unwanted string noise..

--------------------

+Quote Post
SCProphet
Jun 6 2012, 11:21 AM
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jun 6 2012, 10:04 AM) *
I practiced that lesson also, I have a REC take of it. I am ok with the left or right hand motions and synchronization but I can't avoid unwanted string noise..

hold your pick more loosely , it sounds strange but it helps

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jun 6 2012, 12:11 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
OK mate, I hope this will motivate you biggrin.gif

Do you want to hear some awful sweeping from my old recording with a former band? biggrin.gif

Well here it is, and I hope that will prove you that it does need a lot of practice laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Jun 6 2012, 12:12 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Awful_Sweeping.mp3 ( 435.45K ) Number of downloads: 81

--------------------

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jun 6 2012, 12:27 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jun 6 2012, 11:11 AM) *
OK mate, I hope this will motivate you biggrin.gif

Do you want to hear some awful sweeping from my old recording with a former band? biggrin.gif

Well here it is, and I hope that will prove you that it does need a lot of practice laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hey D-Man, it is not awful man!! It is quite clean and there is no unnecessary noise from strings!! That's what I want to achieve.. Thanks for sharing smile.gif I will keep on practicing no matter how frustrated I am.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jun 6 2012, 06:46 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I'm sure you'll eventually find your own way of playing it as most guitarists probably have slight variations to the technique.

I'm no expert on sweeping but I think over time the muting became more of a natural instinct. I stop the vibration with my left hand actually, when releasing the pressure to the next string I'm cutting it off it there for a brief moment. It almost feels as the tension is the same as if I were to play a natural harmony. smile.gif

This post has been edited by DeGroot: Jun 6 2012, 06:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jun 6 2012, 07:26 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 6 2012, 05:46 PM) *
I'm sure you'll eventually find your own way of playing it as most guitarists probably have slight variations to the technique.

I'm no expert on sweeping but I think over time the muting became more of a natural instinct. I stop the vibration with my left hand actually, when releasing the pressure to the next string I'm cutting it off it there for a brief moment. It almost feels as the tension is the same as if I were to play a natural harmony. smile.gif

Hey DeGroot, thanks for your input. Actually I did quite a bit of reading on this on the internet. I found a lot of people who do what you are describing, muting the strings with the fretting hand rather than the picking hand. I will see what I can do... I think my sweeps for shapes where there are no bars is coming along well, my problem is with the shapes where I need to roll a finger that makes a bar..

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:26 AM