2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Iluha Mtp Thread
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 4 2009, 05:32 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Welcome to bass MTP Iluha!

All your assignments and discussions will be presented here.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 4 2009, 05:35 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 4 2009, 06:05 PM
GMC:er
Well, I've been playing the bass for about a year and a half, and since I started I was always a bassist in some band.
My knowledge mostly comes from experience with the diffrent bands I playd and play with, but it wasn't until a couple of months ago that I actually started trying to become a bassist rather than being a guitarist playing the bass.

My strength:
1)I learn things rather quickly
2)I got a good ear
3)I got a good melodic feel
4)I can play some preety shreddy stuff on the bass with a pick
5)I'm a proffesional musician, meaning I dedicate preety much my entire time for music. and earn money(though not so much at the moment) alsmost exclusivly through music.
My CV:

My weaknesses:
1)My finger picking dynamics are poor
2)I think like a guitarist
3)When it comes to recording, I tend to go a bit ahead of the beat..
4)I can slap&pop, but I think I don't do it too well..
5)I find it really hard writing intresting lines at the moment..

I expect to improve my overall technique with my fingers, develop my feel on the instrument, and become more efficient in writing bass lines..
Bassicly, I expect to become a better overall bassist, and start feeling that I'm a proffesional bass player rather than a guitarist who plays the bass. tongue.gif

Some videos from some preformances I playd with my band, and with my previous band can be seen on these youtube channels:
https://www.youtube.com/user/iliachulsky
https://www.youtube.com/user/segevelk
https://www.youtube.com/user/IlyaChulsky

If you want a video of just me, I'll try making one toomarow..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 4 2009, 08:16 PM
Very good introduction Iluha!
This course will help you with your goals for sure. I don't know if we'll make it to the slap part but everything other you mentioned will be covered.

Classes will begin on Monday. Till then bookmark this thread. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 5 2009, 08:18 PM
Weekly assignment 1:

Technique and timing workout

Lesson to practice: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/technique-exercises-1/

Goal : To be able to play all 6 exercises without mistakes on various tempos and all over the fretboard.

Purpose : Develop proper right and left hand technique and posture + work with a metronome to gain better time keeping skills.

Instructions :

Start tempo: 60 bpm
Target tempo: 120 bpm
Time to practice: 30 minutes daily

You should start by playing quarter notes (meaning one note per metronome click). After you successfully master the tempo of 120bpm (in quarter notes) switch to playing 8th notes (meaning 2 notes per metronome click). You need to play each exercise continuously over whole fretboard. In practice that means - you want to start an exercise on 1st fret, do the exercise ascending and descending and once you finish the pattern immediately move the whole thing one half step higher starting now on 2nd fret and move up the neck that way. For successful practice you need to be able to get to the 12th fret without mistakes on each tempo you practice on.

Rules of the practice:

1. Fretting hand will be fretting 1 finger per fret. You fretting hand thumb should be behind the neck - giving support.
2. Picking hand will be doing alternate picking. When picking notes alternate strictly between index and middle finger. Keep alternating even when changing strings you are playing on. Playing two notes in a row with a same finger is considered as a mistake when doing this kind of practice.
3. Picking hand thumb should be anchored on a "string above" the one you are playing on. If you are playing on E string, rest the thumb on the pickup. If you are playing on G string rest the thumb on D string - you get the concept.
4. Do not go to a higher tempo until you are comfortable on the previous one regarding all aspects mentioned.
5. Making mistake in alternating, fingerings or thumb positioning will restart your exercise. Pay attention to ALL the points mentioned. Do not go to a faster tempo if you can't maintain perfection in all three aspects (alternate,thumb position,fingering).

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. On which tempo have you started and ended up. What part of the exercise (technique) is challenging etc...
In the end of the week I want you to record one of the patterns (your choice) played on the tempo your are comfortable with (highest comfortable one for you at that time) starting from 1st and ending on 12th fret. Include a metronome click or drum backing in your recording. Recording should be VIDEO but if you can't make it I can accept audio one too (but I need video to see your posture and everything so aim for the video one).

Deadline to complete: 13th of September

Good luck and remember to post your questions and progress!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 5 2009, 10:38 PM
I saw a video a few weeks ago saying that for more free movement with you'r plucking hand, you actually should avoid resting the thumb on the string above, and it actually makes sense to me..

I also know that Tower Of Power's bassist plays with his thumb anchored only on his pickup..

Personally I like to anchor my thumb on the body(that video I mentioned also claimed that resting the thumb on the pickups may cause the sweat to damage it.. and I don't want to take my chances tongue.gif) when playing the E strings, while resting it on the E string when I play the higher strings.. is it fine that I play like that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 5 2009, 11:11 PM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Sep 5 2009, 11:38 PM) *
I saw a video a few weeks ago saying that for more free movement with you'r plucking hand, you actually should avoid resting the thumb on the string above, and it actually makes sense to me..

I also know that Tower Of Power's bassist plays with his thumb anchored only on his pickup..

Personally I like to anchor my thumb on the body(that video I mentioned also claimed that resting the thumb on the pickups may cause the sweat to damage it.. and I don't want to take my chances tongue.gif ) when playing the E strings, while resting it on the E string when I play the higher strings.. is it fine that I play like that?

There are many videos around. What I have introduced in this lesson is "movable anchor" method. Here are advantages of that kind of approach:

Muting strings is very important aspect of playing. You want to find a way to mute strings that are not in use at the time. Now the problem is that our picking hand is preoccupied with picking and its not that easy to mute strings with it right? So your muting stays almost exclusive to the fretting hand?
Now IMO using "movable anchor" method is very good solution to this problem and it has lots of good sides to it! Since we all anchor our thumb somewhere (body,pickups,strings) , why don't we move it around and use it for muting too? By allowing it to "follow" picking fingers it acts as a muting "device" in both directions going up and down. Second most important thing besides muting function is that "movable anchor" allows your picking hand to maintain economy of motion - angles will always stay the same no matter on which string you play and that in result will enable you to play with more comfort.

What I wanted for all of you MTP students with this exercise to do is to practice that new method that will later on show up in your playing "on its own".
Its an EXAGGERATED version of the approach and its for exercise purposes only, and it will be beneficial in the end for sure - in better muting technique and general easier movement of the picking hand around when its needed. You don't have to play everything on bass with this method just these exercises! In the end most of us settle on "2 strings above anchoring method" or what is comfortable but its good to have this approach under your "practice belt" as it WILL show up on its own in your playing when there is need for it (for example to mute a string you don't want ringing)...

Iluha, I think you should try this out as its an exercise not "changing your ways of picking completely" and I hope you understood why are we practicing it. It will be a advantage for your technique in the end, trust me.

p.s. Sweat destroying pickups , well its an interesting idea but I never heard anyone doing such thing. I don't think its impossible but highly unlikely.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 5 2009, 11:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 6 2009, 02:14 AM
It's not that it will change my picking, becuase I actually was playing just as you describe until about a month ago..
I think i'll just keep experimenting with all methods to see what works for me the best..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 6 2009, 03:08 AM
Thing is that with this exercise its good to play it the way I described and its designed that way. Its like with economy picking, alternate picking, playing only down strokes. If its an alternate picking exercise you don't play economy right? wink.gif

This is actually a basic technique exercise that is a little challenging because of all the things you need to pay attention to. But after a week of practice you will see tremendous results + movable anchor (floating thumb) technique is a very good thing to have under your belt.

edit: basically what you do is exercise like this and then play things you play normally the way you think its comfortable. Movable anchor technique you do practice in exercises will come in on its own when its needed (muting, fast runs).

In the end you want to be versatile on the instrument and have different techniques under your belt so you can apply in practice the most appropriate one so you shouldn't discard any one one of them.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 6 2009, 03:22 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 6 2009, 03:49 AM
Well ok Ill do it you'r way for now, I'll anchor that thumb on the strings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 6 2009, 12:43 PM
Cool man smile.gif Tell me how the exercise feels after your first session.

p.s. don't forget to play it up the neck not only in one position, pay attention to fretting hand's thumb to be behind the neck and to alternate with your picking hand. Good thing with alternating is to listen to notes and try to make them sound even for both fingers (in dynamics).

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 6 2009, 12:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 7 2009, 11:48 AM
I actually found it easier playing the exercises at 8th on 120 bpm than on quarter notes at 60 bpm tongue.gif

I guess it's because I never really played slow alternate plucking patterns ever since I started playing the bass...
I think this might be the core to my dynamics problem, If I can hardly play it smooth slowly than it makes sense that faster playing will be sloppy...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 7 2009, 11:58 AM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Sep 7 2009, 12:48 PM) *
I actually found it easier playing the exercises at 8th on 120 bpm than on quarter notes at 60 bpm tongue.gif

I guess it's because I never really played slow alternate plucking patterns ever since I started playing the bass...
I think this might be the core to my dynamics problem, If I can hardly play it smooth slowly than it makes sense that faster playing will be sloppy...

Hello Iluha,

glad to hear your feedback! You are totally right as some exercises are just easier on faster tempo BUT playing slowly is essential as there is "lots" of time between notes in which we tend to think more about the actual movement and everything we need to do (its less automatic like on faster tempo). My advice is to start slowly, playing exercise all up the neck (1 fret increment on each repetition). Once you are able to play till 12th fret for example withouth ANY mistakes you are good to go to the next tempo. Since you are playing slow, concentrate on sound and see if you can make both (index and middle finger plucked notes) to sound the same.

Keep me posted about your progress with this! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 10 2009, 09:21 PM
Any progress with the practice Iluha? smile.gif How are you doing? wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 10 2009, 11:31 PM
Hey man, I'm already noticing improvement in my technique..
In the first couple of days I got some pain on my left hand's thumb, I guess lack of actual technique practice made it quite loose and weak, but now I don't feel any pain and I can move my fingers more freely..

Plus I saw that I actually problems with alternate plucking as I didn't always do it automaticly, so after some slow tempo practice I think I got it sorted..

So overall I'm glad I'm practicing this simple yet rewarding exercise, wish Iv'e done something like it a long time ago..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 11 2009, 12:46 AM
Those are great news Iluha!

I'm really glad you are working the exercises daily and that you can already see the progress! They are actually very efficient (3 in 1 practice as I like to call it) so it doesn't take long to notice improvement which is great motivation since we all tend to get bored with repetitive (non interesting sounding) exercises.
Pain in thumb is coming from a strong grip (or you are just not used to keeping the thumb behind the neck all the time). With practice you will learn how to ease off the grip and put less pressure on the thumb and let your fretting fingers do all the work. I would like you to try as an experiment, to relax your fretting hand while doing the exercises especially when you feel the pain. Try to fret with less force on purpose and see what happens.

Let me know about your progress, next Monday I'll post the second weekly assignment.

Good work man! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 13 2009, 01:19 PM
How do you feel after week of practice Iluha? wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 14 2009, 01:41 PM
Weekly assignment 2:

Technique and theory workout

Lessons to practice:

Technique: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/technique-exercises-2/

Theory: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...ls-bass-lesson/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3285

Goal : Further extend technique by playing a new set of exercises this week and being able to play faster.(bpm). Learn and understand theory about intervals.

Purpose : Develop proper right and left hand technique and posture + work with a metronome to gain better time keeping skills. Learn a basic theory topic - intervals. You really need to understand them well for future progress.

Instructions for technique exercises:

Start tempo: 60 bpm
Target tempo: 120 bpm
Time to practice: 30 minutes daily

You should start by playing quarter notes (meaning one note per metronome click). After you successfully master the tempo of 120bpm (in quarter notes) switch to playing 8th notes (meaning 2 notes per metronome click). You need to play each exercise continuously over whole fretboard. In practice that means - you want to start an exercise on 1st fret, do the exercise ascending and descending and once you finish the pattern immediately move the whole thing one half step higher starting now on 2nd fret and move up the neck that way. For successful practice you need to be able to get to the 12th fret without mistakes on each tempo you practice on.

Rules of the practice:

1. Fretting hand will be fretting 1 finger per fret. You fretting hand thumb should be behind the neck - giving support.
2. Picking hand will be doing alternate picking. When picking notes alternate strictly between index and middle finger. Keep alternating even when changing strings you are playing on. Playing two notes in a row with a same finger is considered as a mistake when doing this kind of practice.
3. Picking hand thumb should be anchored on a "string above" the one you are playing on. If you are playing on E string, rest the thumb on the pickup. If you are playing on G string rest the thumb on D string - you get the concept.
4. Do not go to a higher tempo until you are comfortable on the previous one regarding all aspects mentioned.
5. Making mistake in alternating, fingerings or thumb positioning will restart your exercise. Pay attention to ALL the points mentioned. Do not go to a faster tempo if you can't maintain perfection in all three aspects (alternate,thumb position,fingering).

Instructions for theory practice:

I want you to you read the material in my spoken video of the lesson about intervals. You also need to read the Andrew's thread about intervals as its more elaborated and covers more material. Try to understand the intervals, what they are, how are they built, how to name them etc....Try to get into the material and understand it, not just read it. It is a very important subject you need to master for your future progress.

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. Regarding technique exercises - which tempo have you started and ended up. What part of the exercise (technique) is challenging etc...
Regarding theory assignment, I want you to consider it your primary one! Go through all the materials (you don't need to actually learn my video lessons bass line, just the theory about intervals).By the end of week (friday) I will post a little intervals test for you to fill in and check your knowledge.

Deadline to complete: 19th of September

Good luck and remember to post your questions and progress!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 15 2009, 11:29 PM
Sorry for no video yet, I'll try making one toomarow..

I'm quite knowledgable in intervals but I guess a refreshment couldn't hurt smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 16 2009, 01:00 PM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Sep 16 2009, 12:29 AM) *
Sorry for no video yet, I'll try making one toomarow..

I'm quite knowledgable in intervals but I guess a refreshment couldn't hurt smile.gif

Excellent!

Yeah its always good to refresh knowledge! Don't forget to read Andrew's article on intervals.
Also you can focus on technique exercises 2 lessons this week.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 18 2009, 11:45 PM
Test:

1. What is the definition of interval?

2. Term perfect interval applies to:

- fifths
-
-
-

3. When you rise the minor interval by a half step, which interval it becomes : __________

5. When you rise the perfect interval by a half step, which interval it becomes: __________

6. If the root is note C ,

perfect octave =
major 2nd =
major 6th =
minor 3rd =

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 19 2009, 12:06 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:47 PM