My Right Hand, bad habit?
Zynex
Feb 10 2009, 11:47 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

Few days back I showed Muris my take on his "rocking tune - Intermediate" lesson. He noticed I held my right hand in a kind of "semi-open" fist. My thumb and pick hold the pick in place, and my middlefinger, ringfinger and pinky are streched (not al the way tho). I have had this habit since I first started playing. I mostly use my pinky this way, to have an orientation point. Ofcoure I don't have my pinky stuck on the body this way when Im doing a fast tremmelo picking lick, or speed picking run. Is this a bad habit? Will this limit my playing in any way?

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Zynex: Feb 10 2009, 11:48 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coloneldrew
Feb 10 2009, 08:57 PM
I really don't think it should matter. The only thing I would suggest is getting used to planting your pinky on the body of the guitar for faster runs. All in all, you want to keep the wrist movement to a minimum for shred licks. I've seen a lot of people play amazingly with the same positioning you described. I think its just a matter of comfortability.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Feb 10 2009, 10:09 PM
Instructor
I don´t think so. there´re many players who has their particular way to hold the pick, and that´s not a problem.
think in guys like Martin Fredman, he has a very weird way to hold the pick, and his right hand looks so horrible tongue.gif so, I mean, it´s just an example of someone who plays very good and has a weird R hand.
about your middlefinger, ringfinger and pinky are streched, I dont think that it will generate problems in the futture, but, on the other hand, if you would like to play some technique as chicken pickin´ perhaps you´ll find some problems. so, the key is to find a relaxed position to play all the techniques you want, and to stay comfortable.

Lian

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Feb 11 2009, 12:06 AM
Jazz Instructor
Don't worry about the fist, hand adjust itself. I discovered funny thing. I was watching my lesson(really difficult picking stuff) and my right hand fingers were moving, changing their position, relaxing and tensing. Right hand was adjusting itself. I also noticed that in new Emir's lesson(Symphony X lesson). That happens without thinking. So, I recommend not to force your right hand "shape".

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 11 2009, 01:11 AM
Instructor
Of course that there are many players with different picking hand shape
and they ALL play amazingly none the less!!
My only concern that if you're still beginner or trying to reach higher
level of picking straight and accuracy you might have small problems
if your fingers are REALLY anchored on pickguard or guitar body.
Shape as itself doesn't have much to do with comfort in general
since it varies from person to person but with anchored fingers
your wrist is "pulled" down all the time and this is for real.
I'm not talking about slightly touching pickguard with few fingers
while doing wrist movements, I'm talking about real anchoring, locking. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 11 2009, 01:35 AM
Instructor
Yes, I agree with Muris, locking your picking hand with the pickguard is in general not so good way to play, cause you are being slowed down this way. If you are picking with the fingers touching the pickguard, and you feel this is limiting your playing, just practice everything watching that you don't put down the fingers at all. In time you will play without anchoring.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 11 2009, 03:09 AM
Instructor
Listen to Muris, he knows what he is talking about biggrin.gif

Work on different techniques, find the sound you like and stick with it wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 11 2009, 03:14 AM
Instructor
I agree with Muris, you could get rid of that position.
Also watch this video (I don't like Michael Angelo at all but if you hear him is very accurate and he's got his hand all the way on the body).

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Zynex
Feb 11 2009, 10:16 AM
Hey wow thanks alot guys! Sorry for noticing the replies a bit late. Yesterday it took some time to get responses haha. Well I definitely go with Muris's advice on this one. I also agree with Vasilije about not forcing the shape of your hand.
But it seems to me that it is indeed important not to lock your hand litarely to the body. Esspecially because I play a lot of groove and funk. With funk (esspecially when combining cords with single notes) you can't have your hand stuck in one position, as most of the time you are constantly strumming. Playing rythmic dead notes as well
(Excuse me for the english tongue.gif. I don't know all terms in english haha)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 11 2009, 12:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Zynex @ Feb 11 2009, 10:16 AM) *
Esspecially because I play a lot of groove and funk. With funk (esspecially when combining cords with single notes) you can't have your hand stuck in one position, as most of the time you are constantly strumming. Playing rythmic dead notes as well
(Excuse me for the english tongue.gif. I don't know all terms in english haha)

Well said and those are ghost notes btw. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Zynex
Feb 11 2009, 01:23 PM
Ah yes biggrin.gif, my bad haha

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 11 2009, 01:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Zynex @ Feb 11 2009, 01:23 PM) *
Ah yes biggrin.gif, my bad haha

No worries wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:53 AM