Any Tips For Finding Best Takes In Long Video Files?
yoncopin
Oct 24 2016, 02:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
My usual recording process is to set my DAW to record in a loop over the piece I want to play. I then turn my camera on and play until I get a good take. That leaves me with a very long video file, and a stack of audio takes. Then I have a really hard time matching the audio take I want to publish with the associated video. Sometimes it will be easy, if the best take is the last one, but I often think "I can do better" and have the best one somewhere in the middle.

Does anyone have any tips on how they make this process better/faster without interrupting the flow?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 24 2016, 05:03 PM
Instructor
What about saying the number of the take before it starts to have the reference number at the video? Then, you can relate this number with the audio file number... it works for me. Is it possible?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Oct 25 2016, 02:02 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
That's a good low tech idea, I was also thinking about holding up a colored piece of paper or something. Saying something is hands free. I might try to do something more technical too. I know Reaper has a scripting language and if I can detect when the loop happens or just hit a special keystroke, maybe I can take a screenshot of my video's recording timestamp. Just having the time markers somehow would solve it. Thanks for the idea!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 25 2016, 07:34 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I just hold one finger up to the camera for first take, two fingers for second, three for third etc, I don't normally run out of fingers biggrin.gif And then in Reaper you can count the quiet spaces. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 25 2016, 07:35 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 25 2016, 09:22 PM
GMC:er
The quick and dirty way would be to just keep pasting the video clip over and over so that you are just hitting play and listening back over a single video track smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Oct 24 2016, 09:53 AM) *
My usual recording process is to set my DAW to record in a loop over the piece I want to play. I then turn my camera on and play until I get a good take. That leaves me with a very long video file, and a stack of audio takes. Then I have a really hard time matching the audio take I want to publish with the associated video. Sometimes it will be easy, if the best take is the last one, but I often think "I can do better" and have the best one somewhere in the middle.

Does anyone have any tips on how they make this process better/faster without interrupting the flow?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 26 2016, 01:27 AM
Instructor
Let me make my low tech idea more advanced hahahha tongue.gif ... add a second audio channel that captures air sound in your room and say the number of take. You will have the number in your audio project as well as in the audio from the video.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 26 2016, 10:08 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 26 2016, 01:27 AM) *
Let me make my low tech idea more advanced hahahha tongue.gif ... add a second audio channel that captures air sound in your room and say the number of take. You will have the number in your audio project as well as in the audio from the video.

That's a great idea but I'm not sure that Brian has a mic. I don't have any trouble with the fingers and spaces way though tongue.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 27 2016, 12:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 26 2016, 06:08 PM) *
That's a great idea but I'm not sure that Brian has a mic. I don't have any trouble with the fingers and spaces way though tongue.gif

mm that's not a small detail, hehehe. If he thinks that this can work, he could get a toy mic. Everything, even the worst mic would work for this.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Oct 27 2016, 12:32 AM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Oct 27 2016, 01:22 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
All of these are good suggestions, and I'm going to give them a try. By high-tech I meant building something that is completely overkill for the task but fun to make smile.gif I have a little Arduino USB board that I was thinking about putting in a pedal case with a footswitch. When I stepped on it, my PC would snap a screenshot of my video recorder window and write the video time to a file. Then when I was done recording I'd have a nice file with all the splits in it smile.gif Maybe I'll try to make one this weekend, I think I have everything I need. I'm still fine tuning my pedal cabinet, guitar lessons, etc... too many projects!!!

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Oct 27 2016, 01:26 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Timmez
Oct 27 2016, 06:12 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I didnt know that some People record with the loop.
That van be a good idea.
I record every take till i have a good one. Then i delete everything before till i have 4 reasonable takes.
Then i compare and choose the best smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 27 2016, 05:35 PM
Lots of folks jus hit record and let it loop smile.gif If you set a loop region in your daw, you can just keep playing. IT's handy smile.gif

If you need your audio to synch with your vid, some video programs will let you just record inside of them. E.G. Premiere and others. So that you just hit CAPTURE in your video software and set the input to your sound card, or the audio interface to headphone jack input in your on board audio card trick, and just keep looping the backing while recording video. That way you would have one bit continuous track of video / audio that was pre synched and you just watch through for the good bits smile.gif

Also, there is the quicktime/logitech capture approach which is similar where you use software like quicktime/logitech to set video to your camera source and audio to either your audio interface or line input on your built in audio card fed by the output from the headphone out of your audio interface. Then you just hit RECORD and let the background loop in your daw. This results in a track that should be synched automatically smile.gif Then you can jut watch it at pick the version you like, and trim it to that. Hope that make sense.

Todd

QUOTE (tflava @ Oct 27 2016, 01:12 AM) *
I didnt know that some People record with the loop.
That van be a good idea.
I record every take till i have a good one. Then i delete everything before till i have 4 reasonable takes.
Then i compare and choose the best smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 27 2016, 08:44 PM

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Oct 28 2016, 01:54 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
It just took a bit of looking, but I think I have the perfect solution smile.gif I found this open source program called digiCamControl which can control DSLR cameras via USB AND it can take incoming commands from an Arduino. I just happened to have a Arduino Nano sitting in my parts bin, so I hooked it up to a switch to send a video record On/Off command. It worked like a champ, so I'm going to put it in a 1590A pedal enclosure (in pic) and put it on the floor. I can then use my foot to start and stop my video recording with each take! Sweet!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 28 2016, 12:22 PM
Instructor
I usually keep my recording in a loop and I do press record/stop after every single take. I do say the number of the take on the video. Once I have a take I have a feeling may be worth keeping, I do stop recoding and go to PC, to drop it on a hard drive. Then I remove all trash from DAW and leave only latest recording. I rename it same as video. Remote control for DSLR seems to be savior in this case smile.gif

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Oct 28 2016, 01:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Oct 28 2016, 07:22 AM) *
I usually keep my recording in a loop and I do press record/stop after every single take. I do say the number of the take on the video. Once I have a take I have a feeling may be worth keeping, I do stop recoding and go to PC, to drop it on a hard drive. Then I remove all trash from DAW and leave only latest recording. I rename it same as video. Remote control for DSLR seems to be savior in this case smile.gif

Yes, that was very similar to my problem. I always tend to stiffen up when I hit record, so I like to just let it run and I tend to forget it's there after a while. Last time I had around 40 takes and just deleted them all because I didn't want to sort through them. I think I'm definitely going to start saying the take number out loud and probably start/stop after any take that's good enough to want to remember (like a marker). That way, the last take in any file is the one I'm interested in. If I wasn't using the DSLR I think I'd try Todd's method of choosing a different audio source for the video recording.

Darius, there's an even simpler solution if your camera supports it though. Mine doesn't have the IR sensor, but you can get the Canon RC-6 remote (or a cheaper clone) for about $8 here in the US. It will do the same thing as my switch but is wireless and doesn't need the PC.

If it would work for you and save you time, I'd be happy to build anyone who's interested a footswitch. It cost about $15 in parts and is very simple, as with the effects pedals, GMC instructors can have one for free. You guys invest a lot of time in us and I very much appreciate it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 28 2016, 11:32 PM
Nice!!!! smile.gif I think you may have just created a product with a market! Even if it's just a one off for your, still really cool idea smile.gif Especially for cams that don't have a remote. Even for cams with a remote, having a foot switch is a very handy thing. Being able to send record/stop record commands with a foot switch is just a handy thing for guitar players to have. A version of the pedal that supports ir and or bluetooth would be cool as well.

I use the direct recording method, via quicktime, that records audio and video together, in to one movie clip. I start the record with a mouse click typically. The good news is that, after a while, that red record light won't make you tense up as much. Sorta like playing for a crowd, you get desensitized the more you do it which is why I say record everything and share it to youtube. Getting used to playing in front of a camera/crowd/etc. is just part of learning to be a better player imho smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Oct 27 2016, 08:54 PM) *
It just took a bit of looking, but I think I have the perfect solution smile.gif I found this open source program called digiCamControl which can control DSLR cameras via USB AND it can take incoming commands from an Arduino. I just happened to have a Arduino Nano sitting in my parts bin, so I hooked it up to a switch to send a video record On/Off command. It worked like a champ, so I'm going to put it in a 1590A pedal enclosure (in pic) and put it on the floor. I can then use my foot to start and stop my video recording with each take! Sweet!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 28 2016, 11:37 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 29 2016, 09:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Oct 28 2016, 12:50 PM) *
Yes, that was very similar to my problem. I always tend to stiffen up when I hit record, so I like to just let it run and I tend to forget it's there after a while. Last time I had around 40 takes and just deleted them all because I didn't want to sort through them. I think I'm definitely going to start saying the take number out loud and probably start/stop after any take that's good enough to want to remember (like a marker). That way, the last take in any file is the one I'm interested in. If I wasn't using the DSLR I think I'd try Todd's method of choosing a different audio source for the video recording.

Darius, there's an even simpler solution if your camera supports it though. Mine doesn't have the IR sensor, but you can get the Canon RC-6 remote (or a cheaper clone) for about $8 here in the US. It will do the same thing as my switch but is wireless and doesn't need the PC.

If it would work for you and save you time, I'd be happy to build anyone who's interested a footswitch. It cost about $15 in parts and is very simple, as with the effects pedals, GMC instructors can have one for free. You guys invest a lot of time in us and I very much appreciate it.

That's what I was writting about smile.gif I do have the remote. Even much cheaper then RC-6. I do not imagine my life without it, since I started to use it smile.gif I also got myself wireless mouse and keyboard. I simply put everything on the little chair in front of me (out of camera reach) and I do use shortcuts to operate in DAW. This way all my takes are separated and I do not have to stand up everytime I want to begin recording again smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:05 AM