Using The Pinky In Higher Frets
Skalde
Apr 22 2008, 09:43 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello,

just want to know, If am the only one who has problems using the pinky in higher frets (above 12.) on the E and A string.
I use my pinky a lot, but on the E and A string in higher frets it is very hard for me to push down the string on the neck. I can do it, but only slow and it does not feel the way it does on the other strings and frets, perhaps this sound a bit strange.
I prefer using my other fingers in this region, due to the low distance between frets it is not absolutely necessary, but would be nice of course if I could use all my fingers there, maybe I just need more practise?

best regards,
Skalde

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Jad Diab
Apr 22 2008, 09:48 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
hey, i used to have the same problem man, you have to practice really slow, and then your pinky will memorize his position on frets, or you can also play with he ring finger, but you still have to practice playing close to mics
when i have such problem i practice slowly and it works fine wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Tmas
Apr 22 2008, 09:52 PM
GMC:er
yeah, using your pinky on the higher frets can be more difficult because the frets are closer together, making the string a little harder to push down and get a good sound... well at least I think so. I find it hard to talk about guitars when I don't have one in front of me.. Mines in the shop and im going nuts!

--------------------
Yeah... I'm member number 911. What about it?

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Apr 22 2008, 09:53 PM
Try raising your guitar up, but even then I get your point. You can still try though, a lot of players would be a lot cleaner if theyd raise their guitars you might look a bit goofy but who cares?

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Apr 22 2008, 10:51 PM
Instructor
Good question Skalde.
Some guitar players use only three fingers when they are going on highest frets.
For example, to play --17-19-20-- they use the index finger for the 17th fret, the middle finger for the 19th fret and the ring finger for the 20th fret.
Personally, I use the pinky finger a lot but I started to use the above fingering for some licks like this

E||--------------10--------------||
B||------------------------------||
G||--10--12--13------13--12--10--||
D||------------------------------||
A||------------------------------||
E||------------------------------||

because I found that finger comfortable too.
My advice is to keep your practice about the pinky finger but you should use the most comfortable fingering to play real songs or solos.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 23 2008, 12:09 AM
QUOTE (Enucleation @ Apr 22 2008, 03:53 PM) *
Try raising your guitar up, but even then I get your point. You can still try though, a lot of players would be a lot cleaner if theyd raise their guitars you might look a bit goofy but who cares?

This guy proved that a person can look goofy and still have significant success in a rock band. Rick Nielsen, one of the most underrated guitarists in history. The guy has 2000 guitars. And besides that, a hot Swedish wife. I consider those items measures of success.

Attached Image

I use my pinkie, top of the neck, Les Paul. You will never be one with the Tao if you don't use your pinkie.

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 23 2008, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Apr 22 2008, 11:51 PM) *
Good question Skalde.
Some guitar players use only three fingers when they are going on highest frets.
For example, to play --17-19-20-- they use the index finger for the 17th fret, the middle finger for the 19th fret and the ring finger for the 20th fret.
Personally, I use the pinky finger a lot but I started to use the above fingering for some licks like this

E||--------------10--------------||
B||------------------------------||
G||--10--12--13------13--12--10--||
D||------------------------------||
A||------------------------------||
E||------------------------------||

because I found that finger comfortable too.
My advice is to keep your practice about the pinky finger but you should use the most comfortable fingering to play real songs or solos.

I think i do the same as you

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Apr 23 2008, 09:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 23 2008, 01:09 AM) *
The guy has 2000 guitars. And besides that, a hot Swedish wife. I consider those items measures of success.

Mmm... I can agree! laugh.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Apr 23 2008, 09:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Skalde @ Apr 22 2008, 10:43 PM) *
Hello,

just want to know, If am the only one who has problems using the pinky in higher frets (above 12.) on the E and A string.
I use my pinky a lot, but on the E and A string in higher frets it is very hard for me to push down the string on the neck. I can do it, but only slow and it does not feel the way it does on the other strings and frets, perhaps this sound a bit strange.
I prefer using my other fingers in this region, due to the low distance between frets it is not absolutely necessary, but would be nice of course if I could use all my fingers there, maybe I just need more practise?

best regards,
Skalde

I think it's normal, due to the position, to the shortness of the pinky...play what is better for you, some great guitarist don't use their pinky and they are good at all...

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:39 AM