Gibson Sg Standard
Captain Insaino
Sep 30 2010, 04:17 PM
GMC:er
I found me a SG standard, its kind of banged up and scratched all to hell on the front and round the scratch plate. Its an all black one, with gold hard ware and pick up covers, comes with a hard shell case for $500. Should I snap it up or pass for a one in better condition.

Need some opinions on this guitar..

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Adrian Figallo
Sep 30 2010, 04:25 PM
Instructor
go for it. please smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 30 2010, 04:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
Condition is not THAT important, especially on a Gibson guitar where the Nitro finish ages very fast.

If you can live with some dings and scratches on a guitar you should definitely go and try how this SG sounds! I got a Les Paul Custom that is banged up pretty bad and was played live for over a decade and it sounds way better than any other LPC I have tried!

If this SG is banged up and does not sound very good let it pass, if you can live with some scratches and it sounds better than other SGs - GET IT!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 30 2010, 05:09 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Never saw a SG standard with gold hardware. Was the original hardware/pups replaced? Is the case original?

The price is good for a Gibson as long as the damage is just cosmetic and you can live with it.

Check the back of the headstock for the serial number. That will tell you when it was made.
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

This post has been edited by Fran: Sep 30 2010, 05:09 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Captain Insaino
Sep 30 2010, 05:36 PM
I found another one, for the same price, except its in the faded cherry red with what looks like stock hardware, Im just waiting for the guy to email me back with some info... I'm not to concerned about how it looks, more about he sound... Ill let you all know if I end up getting it or not.. Thanks for the input..

Captain

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 30 2010, 05:46 PM
QUOTE (Captain Insaino @ Sep 30 2010, 11:36 AM) *
I found another one, for the same price, except its in the faded cherry red with what looks like stock hardware, Im just waiting for the guy to email me back with some info... I'm not to concerned about how it looks, more about he sound... Ill let you all know if I end up getting it or not.. Thanks for the input..

Captain

When I see a guitar that has not been taken care of cosmetically, I assume a pig owned it, and who knows what else he did? I would not buy a guitar used unless the guy absolutely guaranteed no physical problems, especially neck. Ebay is good, when you buy from a person who as a good track record, and a reasonably large number of ratings, and they have been around awhile on ebay. People like that will tend to back up their promises, and take the guitar back if it has undisclosed physical issues. Myself, I will spend an extra hundred or two to get something I am confident in, rather than take a risk.

I have an SG Standard BTW. Cherry Red's cost more, they of course have to concern themselves with the look of the wood, and perhaps some of the ebony are two piece. I also have never heard of gold on an SG. You can call Gibson as Fran said, they are happy to help you verify the SN.

edit: Faded cherry red? Is that an SG Special? (cheaper) Standards are not faded as I understand it, my cherry is glossy, and has a very pretty wood pattern. You might keep that in mind on the cherry, look at the front and back. Nice mahogany has a consistent patter of thin lines, and no large dark markings. At least that is how I see it.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Sep 30 2010, 05:51 PM

+Quote Post
Captain Insaino
Sep 30 2010, 06:08 PM
there is also a brand new schecter hellraiser with FR trem set up, with a hard shell case.. Any opinions on these. to share with me...

Here is the link to the red one I was talking about....

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/msg/1943972750.html

This post has been edited by Captain Insaino: Sep 30 2010, 06:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 30 2010, 06:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
Schecter are korean made guitars. The wood quality on a Gibson is far superior!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 1 2010, 04:31 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
The faded SG has a thinner coat of paint on it, so according to conventional wisdom the wood should resonate more. Plus, the manufacturer usually chooses a higher grade of wood when a clear coat is applied.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
kahall
Oct 1 2010, 05:10 AM
Learning Roadie
[quote name='Captain Insaino' date='Sep 30 2010, 12:08 PM' post='501217']
there is also a brand new schecter hellraiser with FR trem set up, with a hard shell case.. Any opinions on these. to share with me...

There are a lot of differences between a hellraiser and an SG.
The hellraiser is fine guitar but if you really like and want an SG and you get a hellraiser instead you will be disappointed.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 1 2010, 05:12 AM
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Sep 30 2010, 10:31 PM) *
The faded SG has a thinner coat of paint on it, so according to conventional wisdom the wood should resonate more. Plus, the manufacturer usually chooses a higher grade of wood when a clear coat is applied.

Gibson faded guitars are always cheaper than standard finish. In the case of an SG, $500 cheaper. You won't get higher grade wood on a manufacturer's less expensive line. The conventional wisdom is bunk in my opinion. I don't think most people who own several Gibsons and primarily play Gibsons think you are gaining anything acoustically with a faded finish, or losing anything for that matter, all other things considered equal.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 1 2010, 06:03 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 1 2010, 12:12 AM) *
Gibson faded guitars are always cheaper than standard finish. In the case of an SG, $500 cheaper. You won't get higher grade wood on a manufacturer's less expensive line. The conventional wisdom is bunk in my opinion. I don't think most people who own several Gibsons and primarily play Gibsons think you are gaining anything acoustically with a faded finish, or losing anything for that matter, all other things considered equal.

I have seen the more expensive Gibsons at Guitar Center, and to tell you quite frankly they're WAY overpriced. The fit and finish on mid-level Schecters are better. Even the Epiphones are sometimes better, as far as fit and finish is concerned.

When a clear coat is used, the manufacturer usually uses less pieces of wood to build the body, and the less glue holding a body together usually generates a better tone.

As far as the Faded series is concerned, less work is involved in building them, plus I suspect cheaper electronics are used. Then of course you have to consider that the rest of the Gibson line is extremely marked up because they know people will buy their guitars just because of the name. And that is why the faded series is cheaper smile.gif

I think the faded series is the way to go, simply because you're paying a somewhat fair price for it.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 1 2010, 12:04 PM
Learning Tone Master
Gibson guitars differ mostly in wood quality!
The price diffrence is only slightly influenced by the finish or the hardware, it all comes down to how many work hours it takes to build the guitar and what quality of wood was used for the guitar. For example the Studio and standard series:

Les Paul Studio and Les Paul Standard, two les Pauls which differ arround 1k in price. If the standard was the same wood as the Studio just with some optical gimmicks like a binding or a burst top it should sound the same as a Studio but it DOES NOT.
Tone and sustain are vastly superior on the standards which comes from better woods being used to build them.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Captain Insaino
Oct 1 2010, 03:45 PM
Thank you all for your input... Im going to go look at the black one this week end. The guy with the red one never emailed me back...
If i do get it, first thing I will do is replace hardware, and electronics if I think they need it, and give her a bath... (good cleaning up)...

Im planning on going to go play some new ones at the local music shop first so I have a good feel as to what it should sound and feel like... wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 1 2010, 03:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Captain Insaino @ Oct 1 2010, 04:45 PM) *
Im planning on going to go play some new ones at the local music shop first so I have a good feel as to what it should sound and feel like... wink.gif

Great idea!
With the sound of a factory new SG in your mind you can get a good impression if that black one has a better tone than a new one!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:53 PM