> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 113 114 115 116 117 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 21 2020, 02:57 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil!! Thanks for the update!

I think that it’s good to combine your work on 30 great blues with other stuff since that’s a monster lesson.

I also think that setting some sub goals could be positive. For example what about focusing on a shorter section for a while instead of thinking all the time on the whole thing?

While reading your posts I was thinking that maybe seeing this one as an endless lesson can be frustrating. If you divide it in fragments, you can work on other lessons or stuff for a while before getting into the following part.

What are your thoughts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 21 2020, 09:21 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

It's not really frustrating, more daunting but I'm enjoying it and really want to complete it. As you say, it is a monster lesson and harder than learning a full song really because that can be just verse, chorus, bridge repeated. I actually started recording videos of each riff this week (only had time to video the first two though). As I said, I feel it might be better to concentrate on one riff at a time, get it up to speed then work on the next one, then, using the riffs I've got up to speed as a warm up and to get the transitions right.

At the moment this seems to be working, the other thing is, I was rushing, I know, I know, I shouldn't but, I have to fight that so hard as it's in my nature rolleyes.gif I was trying to learn newer riffs while I hadn't completely internalised the earlier ones and even thought they were up to speed, they were very scruffy and I still relied on the TAB. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

The hardest parts are the chordal parts, basically I'm a complete novice with chords and moving them around and playing individual strings of the chord while moving it down the neck is an even bigger challenge for me.

The Ben Higgins thing, if I get time to fit it in I'll have to see how much time it needs, might be a good sub goal, it's only ten days, I've also got Todd's Bootcamp which I really enjoy.

Once work settles down in a few weeks I'll be back on it big style but it's an unavoidable time I'm afraid, I explained to Todd HERE if you want to get the lowdown.

Also, that lesson you said to try and add to my DAILY practise (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/30-Blues-Greats/) is very hard for me, maybe this might help instead https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/SRV-Chordal-Licks/

Cheers buddy

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 21 2020, 10:48 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 3 2020, 02:16 PM
Hello Gab,

Well, I'm back hopefully full time, I had the first good go in a long time last night, on the 30 riffs lesson. I picked up some great tips from Ben's little course and it only took about fifteen minutes per night so it fitted well with the chaos that was going on.

All the points in the message above still stand but I am more focused now and am really trying to address my impatience, the way I was learning before was like spinning plates. I was getting a riff kinda down then moving on to the next but neglecting the previous one etc etc.

Speak soon

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 7 2020, 09:50 PM
Hello Gab,

I'm struggling to get back into the 30 riffs lesson after having a couple of weeks of chaos, I think I'm going to switch to THIS lesson and then go back to it, there are many reasons, one being it is such a mammoth lesson it may be daunting, it's actually harder than learning a whole song as nothing really repeats like verse/chorus/verse etc.

I hope you are okay with this, I need to get up and running again by tackling something shorter. I "couldn't" get passed bar 30 in the 30 riffs lesson, even breaking it down into tiny chunks (see PM)

Speak soon,

cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 12 2020, 04:11 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil!! Here I am mate!! Thanks for the update. I've also received your PM, so I'll answer it soon.

I think that going for a shorter lesson is a GREAT idea. That's why I was starting to suggest a break or something. I felt that you need something fresh, new that keeps you motivated. I think that 30 greats has been positive for your playing, but we all need short term goals as well to stay inspired. (at least that's how it works for me.)

This is not exactly on topic, but I find inspiring the talk between Kiko and Andy about guitar practice. If you have some free time, check this video:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 12 2020, 02:38 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'll watch that video this evening after my practise when I'm with my wife wink.gif I've made a start on the SRV Chordal lesson, never played tuned down a whole step before, it feels and sounds strange at the moment.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 18 2020, 09:08 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 17 2020, 01:53 PM
Instructor
Cool! Let me know what you think about it!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 18 2020, 09:35 PM
Late day back from work today but I managed to watch half of that video last night. So far very interesting, I like the way Andy said he never learnt whole songs but the "cool" bit from lots of songs. In summary, points noted, internalising something until you know it without thinking, enjoying your practise, not getting too stressed about struggling or making mistakes, breaking down into component parts, SLOWING DOWN in order to find your way. Next half when I get chance.

Regarding playing while tuned down a whole step. I don't think it actually sounds funny as i said in my message above, I've realised that in all my years of noodling/practising etc, I've always played standard and my brain is struggling to comprehend the sound from the guitar in regards to when my hand is on the neck laugh.gif

Cheers buddy, times are still hard as per PM, even more so now with this Covid19 on the scene. Customers are chasing stuff like crazy to get their stuff before their customer no longer need it because racing gets cancelled. The phone is red hot!!!!!!

Speak soon buddy

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 23 2020, 10:01 PM
Hello buddy,

Haven't had chance to watch the second half, (see above) but tonight I have seen something major happen. I haven't really been looking at the SRV Chordal lesson, I think I was "afraid" of the D7#9 chord so I had a mental block, kept saying "Oh no, not another type of 7 chord that I can't play". Tonight I said to myself, "You'll never play it if you don't play it, just like you'll never learn to run if you don't run", anyway, long story short, my fingers are now landing on the chord, I'm not walking the chard (one finger at a time), I'm landing on it. It just happened after about 20 minutes, it's not super quick and the slide is still tricky but I can play the first four and a half bars at 50% in a scruffy manner. Bar four seems to have some tricky timing; if you could explain what's going on there that would be great wink.gif

Just as work was settling down, I have a man out with suspected Covid19 though he is in his last two days of 7 day isolation, we're approaching total lockdown but really need to get a £40k job out this week as the customer pays into our bank as soon as our van pulls up, that's going to be a BIG help through these hard times.

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know, I've turned a corner with my mindset, and remember that Dominant A7 chord I really struggled with? I can now play it on my SRV strat with that big fat neck and I haven't been trying to play it for a long time, strange eh?

Cheers buddy.

Back as soon as possible with the current world crap going on.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 25 2020, 03:18 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!!

Strange days here too. We are with mandatory quarantine here and this seems to be like these for many weeks. At first the government said that this would be until March 31th, but we know that this will be extended.

The good part is that our president has taken this seriously very soon so fingers crossed that we don't experiment what countries as Italy, Spain and even USA are experimenting. Remember that Argentina is a relatively poor country so having that type of impact would be like the end of the world. Again... fingers crossed!

Nowadays I'm using my lockdown time to work on new GMC stuff, compose and practice guitar, so great things are coming! smile.gif

How is the future for you? Are you staying at home? Working from home or your company will slow down during lockdown.

Nice to know that you are enjoying Andy and Kiko's talk. Yeah, their approach are very different but both interesting.

And about that chord, yeah! sometimes our brain needs some time to assimilate things.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 25 2020, 04:23 PM
Thanks Gab,

We are closed for three weeks at the moment, all of my lads are worried about losing their jobs, we are doing our best to arrange financial help from the government which is difficult from home. I have 15 employees and four directors including myself so a lot of wage is being paid, officially they only have to have statutory sick pay but we are trying to pay them in full as they are a good work force. The government are looking at contributing 80% to a maximum of £2500 per month and are arranging loans of up to £ five million interest free for 12 months and they will guarantee to the lender that they will cover 80% should the borrower be unable to pay.

Most of our staff, including me, can't work from home as we operate machines.

Regarding that D7#9 chord, it was the Ben Higgins course I did that changed my mindset. I was "frightened" of that chord and I said to myself, "You're never gonna play it if you don't fuckin play it" and lie and behold it started to come together. As for the Dominant A7 and being able to play it even on my SRV baseball bat neck, that has amazed me as I haven't been practising it.

Regarding my work, have you seen THIS thread? It features your truly

English lesson.
The word "experimenting" that you are using, should be "experiencing", look then both up wink.gif

Cheers
Stay safe

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 27 2020, 03:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!

The good side here is that your government can help, that's not a small thing. Fingers crossed this pandemic that we are experiencing is stopped soon. biggrin.gif

Checking that thread now!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 27 2020, 05:25 PM
Well done buddy, I'm glad you learnt from my experience wink.gif

Did you like the interview with me? I was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs but I got through it.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 27 2020, 06:10 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 30 2020, 04:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 27 2020, 01:25 PM) *
Well done buddy, I'm glad you learnt from my experience wink.gif

Did you like the interview with me? I was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs but I got through it.

Cheers

Oh yeah! I've seen the whole thing! It was a very nice experience to see you talking that much. I think that I haven't heard your voice before, or at least not that much.

You don't look nervous at all, you look relaxed, and it's clear that you really know what you are talking about. I like the mix of wisedom and calm that you have during the interview.

smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 30 2020, 07:48 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'm glad you liked it, I wanted people to see it to get more of the real me, hear me talking and see me smiling and being serious all in one video. I have to say, I've never had the word "wisdom" (no "e" after the "s" wink.gif ) attributed to me before, made me proud of myself, thank you smile.gif

I don't know if you've seen THIS thread, but I've been so stressed, my stomach has been like a washing machine and my chest very tight, mainly about keep my business and staff safe. The last post of mine in there explains why I am now feeling a little better.

Hard times buddy, but I am getting further very slowly in the SRV Chordal lesson, it might as well be a level 8 for me with those chords, Dom7 chords seem to be my Achilles Heel but it is what it is.

Speak soon.

Safe safe, keep others safe.

Phil

UPDATE:
I created THIS post in my revision folder and when I was reading about the chords (not thinking bout the drop tuning) it says about the second one that "In this part we are transferring to the IV chord (G), and playing regular G7 triad (without the fifth)" obviously without the drop tuning that becomes an A at the same fret. Can try to explain in simple words what this means please.

Thanks Gab

Stay safe

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 31 2020, 09:02 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 6 2020, 05:40 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! I don't get that drop and "A" thing... please put me more in context. Where is it written?

By G7 triad shape without the fifth, this refers to:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 6 2020, 07:56 PM
Hello Gab,

Sorry, I understand how I confused you. The shapes in my revision folder are the chord shapes from the SRV Chordal lesson, all I really meant was that the shapes in my diagrams are at the same frets as in the lesson but the lesson is tuned down a whole step to D standard, so the notes displayed won't be correct. I hope that makes sense.

I've put a screenshot of the section I'm talking about below. I think I was confused because he says "G7 triad (without the 5th)" and I was thinking that triads were the root, third and fifth so without the fifth, there would be only two notes ie a diad. I think I now understand that he meant the G7 triad (without the 5th of the G7), it was ambiguous. Unless I'm wrong.

I'm still really enjoying learning this, even though, as you will know by reading my last post that I had a very stressful few days worrying about company and staff.

This lesson, even though it is extremely hard for me, is still very enjoyable. It's not the bits in between the chords that are the hard part even though the timing is a little odd to me in parts, it's the chords and in particular, the sliding of the chords which is why I decided to practice sliding them up and down the neck.

I guess the more I practise chords, the quicker my fingers will get used to learning chords, these have taken a long time and I still can't land on them instantly, but I'm not tired of the lesson and am making tiny steps forward each day which is good. Neglecting chords for a long long time seems to have made it harder to learn new ones now.

It is what it is and at least I've learnt a new way of playing a D7#9 chord shape.

I find this chord very interesting and found a great article about it HERE with this diagram in (see below). Though I'm trying to work out how the G is the minor 3rd and the #9.
It looks like a very very handy chord shape that could serve me well. I'm starting to like chords and their structure at long last wink.gif

What I find confusing in music, and maybe it's because of my engineering background is when I read things like "A major ninth is a compound musical interval spanning 14 semitones, or an octave plus 2 semitones. If transposed into a single octave, it becomes a major second or minor seventh.". I know it makes sense when one really looks at it but at first read, it just looks odd. For now, I'm just going to work on understanding the chord. One day the penny will drop and that will be a major light bulb moment.

Cheers buddy.

Stay safe, keep others safe wink.gif

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 13 2020, 07:33 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 13 2020, 07:47 PM
Hello Gab,

Just a catch-up, further to the above email, I answered your PM regarding your question about the tracks I sent you.

Regarding my practise, I am having serious anxiety issues mate, what with trying to keep the business safe, my staff safe and many customers telling us they don't want anything dispatched until further notice as they are closed it is an extremely stressful time. I constantly feel sick, am off my food, my blood pressure is extremely high at morning time, today it was 190/100 (120/80 or less is considered normal).

I know you will understand but I thought I'd check in anyway.

How are you coping?

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 13 2020, 07:47 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 13 2020, 08:28 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

Yes, a triad is a 3 note chord so you can find dominant triads without the 5th.

I'm sorry to read that you are having anxiety issues and that this is bringing physical problems as well. These are very difficult times for all of us. The whole world is experiencing the same thing at the same time. It's difficult, but the first thing that we need to take care is or health, so please try to stay relaxed, meditate the more you can (I use Youtube meditations and an app called "Calm"), try to eat healthy, and make everything you can to stay positive.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 13 2020, 08:49 PM
Thanks Gab,

So a 7 chord is the root, 3rd, 5th and 7th and the triad version of that chord is the root, 3rd and 7th. Am I correct?

Stay safe buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 113 114 115 116 117 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:28 PM