3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Mentored Training Program, Beginners
CompleteNewbie
Sep 27 2008, 04:31 PM
GMC:er
Hi Kris,
I was looking at Pretorians video, I was considering applying, but I think I had better wait a while, as I can't play as good as he can.

I will continue to look out for the MTP in future.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Current Equipment
Squire Fender Strat
Frontman 15G Amp
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wanted
Angus Young Gibson SG
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Sep 27 2008, 08:02 PM
QUOTE (Smells @ Sep 25 2008, 04:05 AM) *
Hi Scott, have a read up HERE on what to do, you can post your video and info in this thread for us to have a look at smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuG55lt2jqQ

Here it is. Kinda embarrassing. Really, really embarrassing, actually. I thought I was bad, but not this bad. At some point, I think I started actually getting worse. I don't get it.

It's a testimonial to what happens when you have a great resource like GMC and not using it well. I get highly distracted and it shows when I'm playing a lesson that I started many months ago and I can't all the way through it.

Over the summer I had some lessons with a guy that was home on summer break, so I got away from practicing any GMC material and I haven't gotten back into it. What I'd been working on over the summer was mostly theory and technique related....position shifting exercises, arpeggios, doing a chord progression with 6th string roots, then finding the same thing with 5th string roots. Stuff like that. I can't seem to be able to do them well on camera for some reason.

When I got started, I kept saying that I'm not trying to learn songs...I wanted to learn how to play the instrument. In thinking up things to do for the video above, I realized I don't really know any songs at all...I know bits and chunks of songs here and there, but nothing all the way through...even poorly. Running scales up and down for a half hour doesn't seem to help me get any better at playing.

Speed isn't my end goal, but I seem to have hit a wall there. 70bpm 16th's. I don't get it.

I haven't really figured out a good structured practice routine that works for me yet. I end up hitting a wall and then moving on to something else. When I was getting lessons, at least I had that "I gotta get this down by next Tuesday" drive to get through something. On my own, that seems to go away.

I mentioned that my overall goal is learning to play the instrument. I'd like to be able to play the things I have in my head. I'm starting to learn that maybe I won't get there if I don't start studying and playing other peoples' songs though. I'm pretty flexible on style. I'm kind of a rock guy, I'd like to be able to play the blues, maybe some old school metal here and there. I'm still trying to work out what "my style" is as far as playing, so I'm trying to absorb as much as I can...which could be another of my problems....lack of focus.

So, now what? biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
dango
Sep 27 2008, 09:59 PM
Hi, Kris and Smells
Here is my video.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...ost&id=9765

After hearing people's feedback, I noticed now some part of timing wasn't right,. i tried to use metronome more often but I was not sure if my timing was correct or not when i was playing. Sometimes I can't hear because/perhaps i more focus on the notes.

So I would like to take a part, please.

+Quote Post
kclancy
Sep 28 2008, 01:35 AM
Hey Gang,

My name is Clancy and I am new to GMC. I have been onboard for just over a week. I am really excited about GMC and all the great lessons and support that are available. I am especially interested in the Mentoring Training Program. I have been enjoying following along with their lesson plan.

About me - I have been playing steadily for about one year. The progress has been great and things are starting to make sense and become much easier.

Musical Interests - My primary interest is blues/rock music. I love the way the blues feels. I am starting to like the sound of jazz guitar as well.

My goals for the next six months –
1. Have fun!
2. Get better at rhythm guitar.
3. Learn the pentatonic scale and how to use it.
3. Add some “spice” to my playing. This means learning about vibrato, bending, slides, and etc.
4. Expose myself to different styles of music. Although I am primarily interested in blues guitar, I think that learning other styles of music will help me become a better guitarist.
5. Be able to go into a guitar shop, pull a guitar off the wall, and not feel embarassed about playing it. Then, buy an electric guitar.

I have attached a video of my playing. It has me playing a few lessons from GMC; Allman Brothers Style, Basic Strumming and Arpeggios, and Smoke on the Water. This filming was an eye-opener it and of itself. Bending in tune, timing, and the list goes on..... It is hard to hide on film. I tried!

I have the motivation and I am willing to put in the time. Everything I need to suceed is already here on this site. However, having some personal feedback on my playing will help me improve tremendously. Having a tailored practice schedule will accelerate my learning. With the help of GTP, I will become a solid intermediate.

Cheers!
Clancy

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Allman_Bros_Stlye_Lick.AVI ( 7.04MB ) Number of downloads: 134
Attached File  Smoke_on_the_Water.AVI ( 8.33MB ) Number of downloads: 148
Attached File  Strumming_and_Arpeggios.AVI ( 7.89MB ) Number of downloads: 145

+Quote Post
besip
Sep 28 2008, 01:38 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 27 2008, 03:38 AM) *
Thanks it's working now - I think you will qualify Besip. smile.gif I will get back to you in a couple of days!

ok great let me know later
i'm will try to made the video on pavel lesson on right speed cool.gif + maybe i'm will post Liam Slayer lesson
i'm afraid i'm not able to play well over backing David A-minor penta yet...looks like some licks are for me dificul to pay them on right speed mad.gif smile.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Sep 28 2008, 01:49 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (CompleteNewbie @ Sep 27 2008, 11:31 AM) *
Hi Kris,
I was looking at Pretorians video, I was considering applying, but I think I had better wait a while, as I can't play as good as he can.

NO!!! I felt the same way before I applied...I thought everyone else's videos were WAY better than I could play so I wasn't going to bother! Kris gave me a boot in the behind and I put up an application video. Now, after just a few short weeks in the MTP program...I can't believe how much my playing in time, chords and overall playing has improved!

DON'T WAIT! For the beginner part of the MTP that I am in, he is looking for ABSOLUTE beginners!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Sep 28 2008, 06:15 AM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Sep 27 2008, 08:49 PM) *
DON'T WAIT! For the beginner part of the MTP that I am in, he is looking for ABSOLUTE beginners!

Hm. I'm not an absolute beginner in spite of what my video looks like. So maybe I'm out.

However if he's looking for lazy so n so`s that are trying to redeem themselves, I'm the man. biggrin.gif

Edited for language - Smells

This post has been edited by Smells: Sep 28 2008, 10:58 AM

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Joruus
Sep 28 2008, 04:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Ok here is my video finally biggrin.gif

My try at Muris' Blue note in A lesson(slow version ;P) wich ive been practicing this week.
I'm bad with timing.. (haven't played anything with a metronome yet)
and my bends are still sortof random (not bend up to the right note)
This is about the best i can play it now, took me a few recordings tongue.gif

Somehow if i save the video as anything else then mp4 it gets very dark,
so i hope you can play this file.

[edit] im not even allowed to upload the mp4 file :/, does anyone know a good way to convert mp4 to a more normal format? [/edit]

Edit again:

Aah i found out .mov works, looks the same and is uploadable tongue.gif
So here it is: Attached File  BluenoteinAtry2.mov ( 5.75MB ) Number of downloads: 267

This post has been edited by Joruus: Sep 30 2008, 08:04 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
besip
Sep 28 2008, 04:14 PM
QUOTE (Joruus @ Sep 28 2008, 10:00 AM) *
Ok here is my video finally biggrin.gif

My try at Muris' Blue note in A lesson(slow version ;P) wich ive been practicing this week.
I'm bad with timing.. (haven't played anything with a metronome yet)
and my bends are still sortof random (not bend up to the right note)
This is about the best i can play it now, took me a few recordings tongue.gif

Somehow if i save the video as anything else then mp4 it gets very dark,
so i hope you can play this file.

[edit] im not even allowed to upload the mp4 file :/, does anyone know a good way to convert mp4 to a more normal format? [/edit]

i'm didn't see any link for the video man mellow.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Joruus
Sep 28 2008, 06:23 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I still didnt get it to look bright in any other format..
so here is a link to my skydrive with the mp4 on it.. you can click to download it there.
http://cid-d60f8cc83ffa6ada.skydrive.live....enoteinAtry.mp4

This post has been edited by Joruus: Sep 28 2008, 06:23 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 28 2008, 06:25 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (CompleteNewbie @ Sep 27 2008, 05:31 PM) *
Hi Kris,

NO! Please send anyway - the whole point is that we are looking for those people who won't even send us videos because they think they aren't "good enough". We don't want you to be good - we want to make you good.

Please send us a video - it sounds like you are exactly the student we are looking for! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
CompleteNewbie
Sep 28 2008, 09:08 PM
Ok Kris.

Here goes..... I have attached a video of me playing, and it''s bad. Hope it's what your looking for (I don't want to be bad!!!!) it just comes natural at the moment.... biggrin.gif

Here's to hours and hours of paractice...... I need it biggrin.gif

Regards

Eric

This post has been edited by CompleteNewbie: Sep 28 2008, 09:19 PM

--------------------
Current Equipment
Squire Fender Strat
Frontman 15G Amp
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wanted
Angus Young Gibson SG

+Quote Post
Skalde
Sep 28 2008, 09:20 PM
Learning Roadie
I think you forgot to add the video to your post

+Quote Post
CompleteNewbie
Sep 28 2008, 09:37 PM
I'll try to add it again....

It failed the last time.

Attached File  GMC_Beginner_Small.wmv ( 5.11MB ) Number of downloads: 387

--------------------
Current Equipment
Squire Fender Strat
Frontman 15G Amp
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wanted
Angus Young Gibson SG

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Sep 28 2008, 09:40 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
ALL BLACKS!!!!! Nice shirt bro! That video wasn't bad at all for a complete beginner!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
besip
Sep 29 2008, 01:00 AM
So i'm wana update some my videos i'm made them today specialy for the program so they are not perfect yet

This Video showing me hope inproved my self a litle with the Pavel heavy metal 3 I'm trying to play that on right speed and take easy i'm drink couple of beer today biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE2C1-SIBts&feature=user

this video showing Gabriel John frusciante lesson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6YaCZjlHSg

and this is Liam Slayer beginer lesson i'm learn that just 4-5 days so take easy pls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WSpKyrlz04

and this is for instructors without backinng and will be deleted...i'm trying ro play A-minor penta From David..there is lot of licks what is to fast for me to play over backing and also i'm don't know why but specialy this stuff i'm play everythime 100% better when i'm not recording laugh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ6f1EhE_Hg

ok something is wrong just wait pls tongue.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Sep 29 2008, 01:49 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Skalde
Sep 29 2008, 06:03 AM
Learning Roadie
wow besip, you are getting better every day.

+Quote Post
besip
Sep 29 2008, 08:00 PM
QUOTE (Skalde @ Sep 29 2008, 12:03 AM) *
wow besip, you are getting better every day.

i'm glad somebody like it biggrin.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
besip
Oct 1 2008, 01:51 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 27 2008, 03:38 AM) *
Thanks it's working now - I think you will qualify Besip. smile.gif I will get back to you in a couple of days!

check pls my new 3 videos cool.gif hope i'm be able to get in program and if not it's be good to know where i'm have to work for next try cool.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...rt=#entry265519

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
skennington
Oct 1 2008, 02:53 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (besip @ Sep 28 2008, 08:00 PM) *
So i'm wana update some my videos i'm made them today specialy for the program so they are not perfect yet

This Video showing me hope inproved my self a litle with the Pavel heavy metal 3 I'm trying to play that on right speed and take easy i'm drink couple of beer today biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE2C1-SIBts&feature=user

this video showing Gabriel John frusciante lesson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6YaCZjlHSg

and this is Liam Slayer beginer lesson i'm learn that just 4-5 days so take easy pls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WSpKyrlz04

and this is for instructors without backinng and will be deleted...i'm trying ro play A-minor penta From David..there is lot of licks what is to fast for me to play over backing and also i'm don't know why but specialy this stuff i'm play everythime 100% better when i'm not recording laugh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ6f1EhE_Hg

ok something is wrong just wait pls tongue.gif

You are getting better bro! keep it up. Glad to see you back around. smile.gif Hope all is well in Chicago

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:50 PM