2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Need Help With My Tone
Vulpine
Nov 11 2012, 08:48 PM
GMC:er
This Distress Signal was mainly out for the Instructors (Gabe,Ben,Cosmin,Alex,Todd etc.) but if any had any advice feel free to comment

anyway first I would like for yout glance at this vid because The tone in this vid would be a dream tone for me as im tryng to figure out what ball park is his (Treble,mid,Bass) E.Q n also any effects it sounds like he's using (Delay,reverb fuzz, etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id...p;v=7KMf3vrmspQ

Anyway Im getting the same guitar n eventually pickups that are in this vid hopefully around black friday but yea any help on getting this tone would be a major step for me

thank you , GMC

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Vulpine: Nov 11 2012, 08:52 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 12 2012, 02:24 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Vulpine @ Nov 11 2012, 08:48 PM) *
This Distress Signal was mainly out for the Instructors (Gabe,Ben,Cosmin,Alex,Todd etc.) but if any had any advice feel free to comment

anyway first I would like for yout glance at this vid because The tone in this vid would be a dream tone for me as im tryng to figure out what ball park is his (Treble,mid,Bass) E.Q n also any effects it sounds like he's using (Delay,reverb fuzz, etc)

Anyway Im getting the same guitar n eventually pickups that are in this vid hopefully around black friday but yea any help on getting this tone would be a major step for me

thank you , GMC

first , don't waste your money on new pick ups if your pick ups are already after market pups
as far as effects a little delay - if your delay has tap tempo , geting the right timing of your delay is crucial
sounds like a little chorus and probably a little reverb( reverb and a delay has to be done right, it can get muddled up quickly)and you might want to not even mess reverb
as far as tone , that is something you are going to have to spend some good quality time getting to know your rig, but a good place to start is with everything at 12 oclock
as well as changing your pickup selector mid song to pull off these tones
there is no easy answer other than taking the time to develop your ear

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 12 2012, 09:42 AM
Instructor
Mate, in my opinion, it's important to know your setup and know how to get the best out of it. If that doesn't provide the right result, THEN you should think about getting new stuff. What are you planning to use to get close to this tone - amp and guitar wise?

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 12 2012, 09:53 AM
Instructor
I'd say a lot of the guy's tone is down to the always dependable Line 6 software.. always seems to sound good from what I hear. It's quite a generic instrumental guitarist / Ibanez type tone so I don't think you need to go changing pickups just yet as your neck pickup will still be able to give you a nice, smooth tone like that if the gear is good too smile.gif

His technique itself looks quite clean so he's not allowing any excess string noise etc.. but I'm sure he's played and rehearsed that song to death so always bear that in mind.

In terms of EQ I can't tell but I'd say most great tones won't have drastic EQ.. a good slice of mid to keep it thick and not too much treble.

But I'd concur with Cos-Master and jstcrsn, don't get obsessed with thinking that new gear is always the answer. Sometimes it is but I know a lot of people who were always searching for the next thing and they kept buying guitar after guitar, effect after effect and they always neglected the one thing that would guarantee them results - practise and develop their own sound smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2012, 04:07 PM
Instructor
The guy has a really nice tone. I can find some relation to Jonthan Burgos tone... and he used a Boss GT-8 as an amp emulator and also multifx. No matter which guitar he used, he always get a killer tone... this means that more than 50% of your tone comes from your fingers.
The other guys comments about trying to get the best of your current set up is also the first step for me...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Vulpine
Nov 13 2012, 05:45 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 12 2012, 03:07 PM) *
The other guys comments about trying to get the best of your current set up is also the first step for me...

First off thank you guys for taking the time out to help and if I can get that tone from my gear already then hey I wont even bother tryng to look else where

My current gear well first off

Guitar: Ibanez RG321mh (Air norton + Steve's special) pickups

Pedals: I've been using pretty much the Boss ME-25 (multieffect pedal)

I have tried to experiment a bit to try to emulate that tone of that vid , thing is well the Boss Me-25 has so many effects
(Clean, Crunch, Drive, Heavy, Lead, Extreme) Any advice on where to start ?

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Nov 13 2012, 09:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vulpine @ Nov 11 2012, 07:48 PM) *

thank you , GMC

He has a very good tone! I don;t think it has a lot to do with pickups
So here is what I hear:
- Distortion
- Chorus
- Delay
- Reverb
I don't think it is a real amp he is using probably some digital modulation
In order to help you out I would need to know what gear do you have?
This way I can help you with exact dials and will suggest how to tweak it to get it pretty close!
Let me know and I will be more than happy to guide you through!

+Quote Post
Vulpine
Nov 13 2012, 11:50 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Nov 13 2012, 08:29 AM) *
In order to help you out I would need to know what gear do you have?

Guitar: Ibanez Rg321 mh

Pedal: Boss ME-25 (multi effects) pedal

This post has been edited by Vulpine: Nov 13 2012, 11:50 AM

+Quote Post
Vulpine
Nov 13 2012, 12:23 PM
Alright heres my take after fiddling with my boss me-25 pedal I tryngto emulate the tone lol forgive my sloppy playing

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Tone_Testing.wav ( 11.42MB ) Number of downloads: 135

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 13 2012, 07:43 PM
Todd here smile.gif Your tone is sounding really quite nice! Here is my link to my ME-25 FULL REVIEW WITH DOWNLOADABLE PATCHES AND PATCH EDITOR.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...SS_ME-25_Review

It's wads of potential tones for your Pedal board!!! Your tone sampe sounds great! It's a lot about tweaking til your knobs fall off to find the tone you really want. Now on to a bigger overview!!

GEAR and/or EMULATION

You are taking a BIG step in an AMAZING world. The WORLD OF TONE!!!! Just to keep it simple, let's break it down two ways. (You can break it down a billion ways from Sunday of course)

1.) AMP TONE RECORDED WITH A MICROPHONE IN TO A COMPUTER

GEAR NEEDS:
*Guitar
*Amp
*Pedals/FX
*Microphone (SM57 a fine place to start)
*Tweak Time/Record time.

This first method is still the most common overall IMHO. Get a rig going, any rig, and put a mic on it and record it and get it in to your computer. Once it's in there, you can put some plugins/eq/compression or not, depending on how good you got it in.

Starting out, it's really important to just get a complete rig. I wouldn't overly stress about each individual bit just yet, but I know that's almost impossible. smile.gif As it's natural to assume that the "Best" bits, mean the "Best" Tone. Good gear helps, but most of your tone is hiding in your fingers.

2.) GUITAR RECORDED DIRECT IN TO A COMPUTER USING VST/PLUGIN/EMULATION

GEAR NEEDS:
1.)Guitar
2.)Computer/daw/plugins (Ampitude, Overloud, take your pick)
3.)Recording Interface (E.G. M Audio fast track etc.)

This second method has really appealled to me of late since it allows the most flexibility in recording and mixing. You record the guitar directly in to the computer and put efx/gain/distortion on using software plugins. That way you can change it later as much as you want. If they are "Burned in" (E.G. recorded on to the signal) it's a different story.

My fav plugins are Amplitude 3, Amplitude Metal, OVERLOUD TH1, TH2, Guitar Rig 4, 5, etc. Most of these are free to download and try.

In short, the thing to do is JUMP IN !!!!!!

Todd

[

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 13 2012, 07:45 PM

+Quote Post
Andre Nieri
Nov 13 2012, 07:50 PM
You can achieve this tone with a 6L6 high gain amp (like a Dual Recto) and with high gain pickups too. Add some delay and there you go!

Probably he's using some modeling software. And I think he's trying to emulate Vai's tone too...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 14 2012, 12:56 AM
Sure, just spend several grand/thousand and BINGO! smile.gif He's got a Roland/Boss ME-25 pedal that he's using for his tone shaping so hopefully the presets I shot over will help smile.gif I had one of these same pedals for a while.

Todd

QUOTE (Andre Nieri @ Nov 13 2012, 01:50 PM) *
You can achieve this tone with a 6L6 high gain amp (like a Dual Recto) and with high gain pickups too. Add some delay and there you go!

Probably he's using some modeling software. And I think he's trying to emulate Vai's tone too...

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 14 2012, 08:00 AM
Instructor
I think Todd hit the spot with his post, anyway, he has a lot of experience with various digital devices so he is the toughest one around our block! Ask away with confidence!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Nov 14 2012, 08:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vulpine @ Nov 13 2012, 11:23 AM) *
Alright heres my take after fiddling with my boss me-25 pedal I tryngto emulate the tone lol forgive my sloppy playing

You did a great job with your tone! And you are almost there! I would suggest adding some middle frequencies this way you will get a better cut through the mix try to add just a little bit and you will hear the difference also you can turn down your distortion this way you will get more touch instead of the wall of distortion and can add some dynamic to your playing!

+Quote Post
Vulpine
Nov 14 2012, 09:34 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 13 2012, 06:43 PM) *
Todd here smile.gif Your tone is sounding really quite nice! Here is my link to my ME-25 FULL REVIEW WITH DOWNLOADABLE PATCHES AND PATCH EDITOR.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...SS_ME-25_Review

It's wads of potential tones for your Pedal board!!! Your tone sampe sounds great! It's a lot about tweaking til your knobs fall off to find the tone you really want. Now on to a bigger overview!!

GEAR and/or EMULATION

[

Man if you guys ever needed a kidney I would give you my last thanks so much

Aight Todd just opened up a big ole batch of goodies I downloaded the patches and it didnt take long to Find a tone that was similiar n i just started tweaking away and man not only that I saved a few other lead tones from those patches they sounded really good just added ill try to post a take in the morning before I go to work cuz my recording software is acting up atm

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 14 2012, 03:05 PM
Instructor
Hehehe! Another happy camper tongue.gif Glad you managed to solve the thing mate - but, for a change, I'd suggest you to have a look over Todd's work in the patches and see what's what so you'll know what sort of tweaks have been combined to create that sort of tine smile.gif Always good to know in your future endeavors wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 15 2012, 02:59 AM
AWESOME!!!!!
Glad to hear it smile.gif I had a great time building up patches on the ME-25. Some are a tad extreme, but still fun smile.gif

The PATCH EDITOR APPLICATION will let you have a visual interface on your computer in software to build patches by clicking on the screen and save them to your unit. That's how I built some myself wink.gif

Can't wait to hear you patch mods!!!!

Todd

[
quote name='Vulpine' date='Nov 14 2012, 03:34 AM' post='617011']
Man if you guys ever needed a kidney I would give you my last thanks so much

Aight Todd just opened up a big ole batch of goodies I downloaded the patches and it didnt take long to Find a tone that was similiar n i just started tweaking away and man not only that I saved a few other lead tones from those patches they sounded really good just added ill try to post a take in the morning before I go to work cuz my recording software is acting up atm
[/quote]

+Quote Post
Vulpine
Nov 15 2012, 08:47 AM
Alright heres my New Take and I noticed one important thing that I have been over looking the whole time after listening Im almost positive he's playing on his neck pick up (I just checked the vid to make sure and its true), that and maybe a combination of alil palm muting So I switched to my neck Pickup and applied alil palm muting and this is what I got

I think Now with alil hard work on cleaning up my playing and avoiding string noise and fix the string buzz on my (B string) this tone should do it

This post has been edited by Vulpine: Nov 15 2012, 08:55 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Tone_Testing_take_3.wav ( 11.28MB ) Number of downloads: 92

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 15 2012, 09:47 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Man thats a nice tone smile.gif kind of Johnsonesque

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 15 2012, 04:49 PM
Instructor
Very Johnson'esque biggrin.gif

Take care with the timing mate smile.gif as I see it right now, it's the main issue that needs fixing, otherwise this could sound 'tres extraordinaire' as the French people would say biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:50 PM